• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The ****ing Season Thread

That Baby Leaf one is sickening. They slap a pacifier on his face and then in the text below praise him for doing the opposite of what the slag job is stating with the quote "...takes demotion like a man."

By circulation, the 7th biggest newspaper in Canada.

And that shit occurs on the ****ing regular. Nobody can tell me that's not utterly absurd levels of shitty coverage that Leaf players put up with.

Its the Toronto Sun, what more can anyone expect from that paper? It virtually a tabloid magazine.

Meh, you can dismiss it as "just the Sun" but it's a major daily newspaper with a huge circulation. There are other cities with ridiculous tabloid style dailies as well, but they're in places like NY or Chicago that don't dedicate front covers and entire sections to smashing on the Leafs at every opportunity.

Of course its absurd. But New York has the Post. Machester has whatever their version is where Rupert Murdoch was wire tapping phones. Its just the reality. You can either let it get to you, or ignore it and worry about hockey.

So really, there was one thing that was crappy said about Phaneuf and that occured 2 days ago. Thats it?

If it is criticism of play and capability and your feelings get hurt because of that and it makes you perform even worse, that says more about the player really.

If a radio personality voices his/her opinion about Phaneufs crappy play and calls him not captain material, and that he should be traded blah blahh..thats not fair game?

Of course its absurd. But New York has the Post. Machester has whatever their version is where Rupert Murdoch was wire tapping phones. Its just the reality. You can either let it get to you, or ignore it and worry about hockey.

Well if you are an athlete and have a choice between playing in city A where the media is professional (ish) or city B (Toronto) where the media throws a pacifier on one of your colleagues it makes that choice a little easier to make.

Athletes are just human after all.

Well if you are an athlete and have a choice between playing in city A where the media is professional (ish) or city B (Toronto) where the media throws a pacifier on one of your colleagues it makes that choice a little easier to make.

Or runs stories based on what hat you wear after practice

So what. Its not chnaging. There is literally no choice but to just deal with it.

If it becomes an excuse or a cruch the team is already sunk.

I would rather that the players directly call out specific media members like that toad Feschuk. Ask him point blank what his credentials are (he's a basketball guy) to be writing vitriolic, tabloid-quality pieces about the Leafs and hockey.

There is never going to be any accountability from the media until they are specifically called out on their bullshit.

So what. Its not chnaging. There is literally no choice but to just deal with it.

If it becomes an excuse or a cruch the team is already sunk.

So what? Well the city loses out on potential bigger name athletes coming here to play. Of course, conjecture on my part, but it's not an unfair assumption to make.

And if the public gets tired of it, maybe they change their shtick.

The public doesn't get tired of it though. The coverage of hockey in this city is just growing and growing. The public can't get enough of it. We have two 24 hour radio stations, and like a hundred channels and 90% of that airtime is spent on the Leafs. And they are all competing with each other for views talking about the same things.

Its just a reality of the market place. We can't use it as an excuse. There is no option but to overcome it and focus on playing hockey.

Teams in other crazy markets deal with it just fine. Does no one want to play for the Yankees? Manchester United? Milan?

I am sorry but the media isn't some insurmountable beast. Its just a bunch of people outside the game with laptops and microphones.

I would rather that the players directly call out specific media members like that toad Feschuk. Ask him point blank what his credentials are (he's a basketball guy) to be writing vitriolic, tabloid-quality pieces about the Leafs and hockey.

There is never going to be any accountability from the media until they are specifically called out on their bullshit.

I dont mind that, but I would love to see it the other way as well.

I.e. media members challenging players when they start talking about getting bad "bounces" and been in "close games" when in reality, its a rehersed spiel that no one wants to listen to anymore.

Teams in other crazy markets deal with it just fine. Does no one want to play for the Yankees? Manchester United? Milan?

I am sorry but the media isn't some insurmountable beast. Its just a bunch of people outside the game with laptops and microphones.

Football fans can get pretty crazy. And London and BPL media are also pretty nuts, but players can get transferred and generally make worlds more money than NHL'ers. It's also one game a week, for the most part, and it's the managers that do the talking after games, with players giving few soundbites. Ready to be corrected on this, but I get most of my info off my side's site (Arsenal.com, 4th place is ours baby! :p ) so I don't read the rest of the stuff.

Toronto is a weird spot in that while in most cities the media are massive homers for the team, to the point of carrying their luggage, Leafs beat is caught between objective reporting and total sleazoid stuff. And hockey is IT. It takes some pretty big stones to play there year after year, or a special ability to disconnect after game days.

Back