• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The ****ing Season Thread

well, dude hasn't published his data yet (you can get it if you donate to his gofundme.com/allthreezones page), but lets some guys use his data in articles i guess.

you won't find comorehensive league listings but you might find a team article if you're lucky.

i searched "gardiner rielly ohaneuf zone entries" and found this article from last month:

http://hockeyanalysis.com/2014/08/09/rush-shots-defensive-zone-play-maple-leaf-defensemen/

LOL. Carry in against for Fraser? More than 70%!? Sounds about right.

Those stats are really interesting. The neutral zone is the one area of the game that is completely undervalued from a statistical perspective. At least what is available to us.

@mirtle: Leafs sign prospect mirtle: Leafs sign prospect Cody Donaghey to a three-year entry level deal. Like a free draft pick.al. Like a free draft pick.

Like it. Had him ranked as a 2nd rounder so thought he might impress enough for a contract. Had a solid 40 point year last season and exploded in the playoffs with 8 points in 5 games.

Mark Masters ‏
Lupul on D system: "Maybe last year was something we’ve never seen before. This is more back to kind of how you grew up playing."

These quotes give me a headache. I don't want to sound pessimistic, but f*ck its hard listening to these guys and expecting a good year.

Twitter was stating that Kadri was playing on a line with JVR and Frattin as we mentioned. It's only day one, but still.

Anyone else impressed by Kozun in that blue vs white scrimmage? Skates well, some nice moves and looks like he can protect the puck too. Too bad we have quite a few of those types..In terms of small, fast forwards.

These quotes give me a headache. I don't want to sound pessimistic, but f*ck its hard listening to these guys and expecting a good year.
Just go into the year with no expectations. That's what I'm doing. After the last few years, I don't care if these ****ers win their first 20 games in a row, I'm not going to get my hopes up and expect them to play in the playoffs until they've mathematically clinched a playoff spot.

Just go into the year with no expectations. That's what I'm doing. After the last few years, I don't care if these ****ers win their first 20 games in a row, I'm not going to get my hopes up and expect them to play in the playoffs until they've mathematically clinched a playoff spot.
I pretty much have no expectation neither. They wanna let Carlyle do something he hasn't been able to do over the past 6,7 years of coaching, so be it. Maybe he can re-invent himself, but I sure am not holding my breath for it.

It is interesting all signs point to the fact they're gonna try Frattin on Kadri's line. Now I don't know if this is because Clarkson's injured, or that's what they would try anyways, but if Frattin is on the 2nd line, then Clarkson can only be as high as the 3rd line? And if Clarkson plays on the 3rd line with Booth and Santo, then Komarov plays on the 4th line?

Guess we'll find out.

I don't think Carlye changes this system overall, I think he might make some minor tweaks but overall he will likely keep the same strategy this season. The big thing that has changed is he has a lot more forward depth to work with and can role 3 scoring lines out there which should be an improvement given how last year the 3rd line was virtually non existent,

I have expectations but I'm not getting my hopes up very high either, because really we just traded expensive depth players and replaced them with much cheaper ones. I still think we get vastly outplayed most games this season and outshot badly in a lot of them, I do think goaltending will stand on their heads for the 1st half and kessels line will be torrid for the first chunk of th season. I also see this team fading bad down the stretch too when poor play and fatigue catch up with them but I don't fee, the collapse will be as epic as last years or least hope not.

Bottom line I see us barely making the final wildcard spot and getting badly kicked out of the 1st round.

We could see a very different Leafs team than in recent memory. I can't ever remember a time where the team put this much focus on playing defense from day one. The wingers aren't going to be collapsing in their own end. Dmen aren't going to be pinching at the blue line. They are being told to not expect a forward to cover for them. They are really stripping it down and playing a more conservative style of hockey. That over aggressive cheating has always killed this team, and led to odd man situations, easy zone enteries, and terrible zone exits. If this team can't play a simple, conservative game that would be pretty pathetic. If they can there is no way they get outshot and out possessed like they have the last couple of years.

Not to mention half of the team is different from last year. Santorelli, Booth, Komarov, Winnik, Kontiola, Frattin, Robidas, Polak. 8 of the 18 regular players are completely different players. Out are Kuleman, Raymond, McClement, Bodie, Orr, McLaren, Gunnar and Ranger, and Bolland who barely played. Other than Kuly and Gunnar all those guys have major flaws in their games. At least half of them aren't even NHLers. They have been replaced by solid hockey players. Some of which, like Santorelli, Winnik, Robidas and potentially Kontiola are actually pretty good players.

Its a positive that they are spreading money out over the 3rd and 4th lines instead of paying big money to a third line. That is the right thing to do, not the wrong thing to do. They'll have 4 lines this year, and the didn't even have 3 for most of last season thanks to injuries. That alone will help prevent the top players from tiring down the stretch. You just don't need to rely on them as much when you have depth. Especially when there are injuries. And even when there are injuries they have young, talented players with top 6/4 upside, on the doorstep waiting, and probably ready, for their chance, such as Leivo, Nylander, Percy, and Granberg.

Lastly, as every year with this team, if some of the young guys, namely JVR, Kadri, Gardiner, Rielly, can take a jump to another level the Leafs are laughing. I think this could be Kadri and Gardiner's years. They are both 24 which is around where a players offensive peak typically begins, and the same age Kessel broke out.

Who knows if the changes will lead to different results. But they should lead to a different team.

Last edited:
I don't like to go in with high expectations either, but I really think JVR is going to emerge as a top power forward this year. I also think Gardiner is going to explode with the potential. I do believe in the sophmore slump, but the fact that Gardiner's seemed to have been ended in the last bit of the season, means I think he is going to step alot forward.
I hope the same for Kadri, I just want to see him play stronger on the puck. I also feel with less worrying about zone style defense, guys like Phaneuf can concentrate on their one man, and not think about a whole bunch of other stuff could make Dion alot harder to play against.

I live having a third and fourth line of guys that are hungry, younger and all round solid.

I've got tickets for the home opener against the habs.. When I saw that it was a Wednesday, I almost sold them, but then realized it was the home opener and so I'll be going. Optimistic as hell.

Back