• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The ****ing Season Thread

Interesting that the home-away split is backed up by the advanced stats too, so might not be just a narrative.

5v5 Corsi Close

Home: 46.67% (26th)
Away: 51.88% (9th)
Right but let me play devil's advocates ... the Leafs only have played 3 away games thus far. 1 was against the Rangers where Lundqvist pretty much gift-wrapped the game for us very early. Then there's also the NYI game where Halak was not to be out-done by his NY counterpart. That leaves us with a 0-1 OTL to Detroit, where the team did play well - but at the heel of an ugly lope-sided loss to the Wings 2 nights ago.

So the better away possession stat might just be a result of a very limited sample space with some terrible goaltending skewing the stats.

I guess it depends on whether you think the atmosphere in a building has an effect on the team be it positive or negative. I don't think throwing a jersey on the ice is going to motivate anyone. But then I'm not Montana or HP.

ku-xlarge.jpg

This is what they get if they play well. Blaming the fans is complete horseshit.

Right but let me play devil's advocates ... the Leafs only have played 3 away games thus far. 1 was against the Rangers where Lundqvist pretty much gift-wrapped the game for us very early. Then there's also the NYI game where Halak was not to be out-done by his NY counterpart. That leaves us with a 0-1 OTL to Detroit, where the team did play well - but at the heel of an ugly lope-sided loss to the Wings 2 nights ago.

So the better away possession stat might just be a result of a very limited sample space with some terrible goaltending skewing the stats.

2 things:

1) corsi close only measures possession when he game was close.
2) The Leafs earned those leads in both those games with a bunch of great goals before the goalies fell apart and let in one weak one apiece.

2 things:

1) corsi close only measures possession when he game was close.
2) The Leafs earned those leads in both those games with a bunch of great goals before the goalies fell apart and let in one weak one apiece.

He has a point about the small sample sizes though - 3 games?

The team is sitting above only Buffalo and Carolina in the East in Real Standings thus far and that combined with the way we ended last season... well, the posts here simply reflect that reality. I'm not really sure what you expect right now.

The reality is its 8 games into the season and they are 2 points out of a playoff spot and 3 points out of 4th.

People talk about this bad streak going back to last year, completely ignoring the handful of very good games they have played this year.

There is nothing rational or reasonable about it. They just aren't on this 20 game slide that certain people like to describe. They've had a mediocre, up and down 8 game start to the year.

You're giving fans way too much credit.

You remember more than 8 games worth of hockey, "fans" remember to be angry at whatever the media narrative tells them to be mad at.

I'm talking about ForumIce, not fans on radio call in shows or HFboarders or Vitos from Woodbridge.

People here aren't going to be sunshine and rainbows right now, they've sucked since the collapse. If you've been defending the team vehemently all summer, then you're probably still clinging tightly to that. But if you thought Carlyle should've been canned at the end of last season, why wouldn't you still be complaining now?

It is the same core, same coach ... I am sure last season has some relevance when we fail ...

Well some of the issues may remain. But last year has absolutely no relevance to this year.

Nothing about them going 0-12 to end the year, or whatever it was, matters now. At all.

I don't think that's very reasonable.

As fans, obviously we want the team to do well.

Last season, the 16 wheel trailer went off the cliff (again) in the last 14 games of the season and in the off-season, the new President decided to retain the same core, the same GM and the same coach.

So, when the team loses in similar fashion again this season, you are saying nah, let's not accumulate that failure and that blame from last season, cause we're in a new season now? I don't think that's reasonable at all.

Back