• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The ****ing Season Thread

Stated this way, sure. I don't think there's a whole heap of difference based on 2-4% faceoff wins. It amounts to around 30-60 possession starts. Of course, if one of those is in game 7 of the SCF on a defensive zone faceoff, it might be pretty important.

Of course, but you know better than most that context is extremely important when you're looking into small samples. When you're looking at total value, the more data the better and individual points become less and less important. In a short sample like a playoff series, an individual point of data can be the difference between winning and losing. You don't make player decisions based on that one data point though, but on the much broader sampling. If a 20% faceoff taking winger, wins a OZone faceoff in triple overtime of game 7 and that possession directly leads to the winning goal, it was still a bad decision to utilize that player if you had better options on the ice at the time.

Do you have a link to this article? From what I can see, you're talking about data from 19 playoff games from 1 player looking at 1 outcome. That's nothing like what I suggested.

I'll see if I can find it. The guy was talking about Bergeron specifically at the end of the Bruins last cup finals appearance so it was specific to what he had done, but just applying the faceoff analysis to Bergeron's performance

Past the big line the rest of the team has 8 goals so far this season...but shout out to Komarov so far, 4 assists and plenty of good hits too.

Past the big line the rest of the team has 8 goals so far this season...but shout out to Komarov so far, 4 assists and plenty of good hits too.

I think the Kadri line will pick it up eventually, they're too talented to be this brutal so far this season. The 3rd line will get there share of goals to, they're constantly buzzing around the net and creating chances, it's just that those chances are being snuffed... eventually goals will go in for them too.

These brothers having to play together is getting annoying. Apparently Philly wants to ditch both Schenn brothers. They better not be some package deal.

James Mirtle ‏
Leafs name Mark Hunter the new director of player personnel.

Hunter will now be in charge of the Leafs pro and amateur scouting.

They have finally addressed the scouting.

Bob McKenzie ‏
Didn't see that one coming: TOR hires Mark Hunter to be director of player personnel. Hunter was GM of London Knights.

Hope_Smoke ‏@Hope_Smoke 11m11 minutes ago

Rob Vollman was on @MackoAndCauz a few weeks back saying how Mark & Dale Hunter are heavy into analytics. Look for any advantage

Rob Vollman was on @MackoAndCauz a few weeks back saying how Mark & Dale Hunter are heavy into analytics. Look for any advantage

Whatever they are doing its working. Three straight memorial cup appearances.

I love that Shanny is bringing in guys that have been successful head coaches/GMs in junior to fill the "lesser roles" up here. Not just bring along his buddies like Burke did. Add all the talent you can. The front office is where MLSE can exploit its financial advantage.

Hunter was GM of the Knights since 2006.

In that time the teams record was 368-144-32 (96 point pace), they made the playoffs every year, won 2 OHL championships, won their division 5 times and made it past the first round 6 out of 8 years.

Seems like a great hire, based on his track record in London. Looks like he's going to be in charge of amateur and pro scouting. So, hopefully he fires everybody in our pro scouting department ASAP.

That's a pretty ridiculous track record for a CHL team. The only way to accomplish that is through incredible drafting and player development based on the turnover of players.

Certainly sounds like a great signing.

Just looking back, Loiselle worked with Burke at the NHL in the early 90s then he brought him to Anaheim as a scout. Burke was Poulin's agent when he played and he also brought him in as a scout in Anaheim. Obviously Nonis was his right hand man for 20 years going back to working for the NHL in the early 90s.

The game passed that guy by. Pure old boys club.

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 1m1 minute ago
In addition to overseeing pro and amateur scouting, Hunter will also provide input into trades, signings, etc. Quality, veteran hockey man.

Mark Hunter was offered the Leafs job last week after first approached a couple of weeks ago. It's a multi-year agreement. On the job today.

They have been using it, but to say they are heavy into is wrong.

Hunter is a good hire. He hates to lose. What makes Hunter stand out is that he is willing to go anywhere to find talent. If you work for Mark and he calls you at 2am and asks you to scout a game at 6:00am in the morning, no matter where that game is your going. No leaf scout will be sleeping on the job (if they were before).

I've heard stories where he's been on planes and had no idea where he is or where he is going. He goes that extra mile. Has a very good eye for talent.

They have been using it, but to say they are heavy into is wrong.

Hunter is a good hire. He hates to lose. What makes Hunter stand out is that he is willing to go anywhere to find talent. If you work for Mark and he calls you at 2am and asks you to scout a game at 6:00am in the morning, no matter where that game is your going. No leaf scout will be sleeping on the job (if they were before).

I've heard stories where he's been on planes and had no idea where he is or where he is going. He goes that extra mile. Has a very good eye for talent.

Could you expand a little on why Vollman is wrong...?

Could you expand a little on why Vollman is wrong...?

I have all the documents they (coaches/gm) use for analytics. Talked to personal who work there about analytics and what they use. It's not a lot. They are using it more this season, then in the past. But they aren't heavy into it.

Hunters demand and surround themselves with people who work hard. Very hard.

Definitely agreed on the pro scouts. Can 'em.

How long do you think Morrison keeps his job?
I hope Morrison sticks around. I think our amateur scouts have done a good job---whether they've been picking high in the draft, when they haven't had a lot of picks to use, or with some of the gems they've unearthed in later rounds. A complete blunder like Tyler Biggs, I tend to blame on Mr. Truculenece and Pugnacity, Brian Burke. I didn't love the Gauthier pick either, but hopefully it was Nonis, and not Morrison or our scouts, who made the call to go with a "safe" pick instead of a more talented player like Andre Burakovsky, who went two picks later.

Back