• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The ****ing Season Thread

My view on Shanny is, though he may not want to rock the boat too much, this guy is not dumb. From his years as a player, he can tell a good coach from a bad coach. And he's shown enough as a GM I don't think he will let Carlyle coach for too long.

I am not sure what plan he has, if there's any truth to all the Babcock rumors etc ... but I would be very surprised (and very disappointed) if Carlyle allows close to 40 shots per game and he's still the coach by Christmas.

I still find it amusing that some actually thought that Carlyle would be able to fundamentally change the way this team plays, simply because the new President told him to, after failing to effect any kind of change or improvement over the course of the entire 82 game schedule last year.

I wonder how far we'll get into the season before Peter Horachek or Steve Spott is introduced as our new interim head coach.

I find it amusing that he couldn't change his system. You're bosses go to you and flat out tell you your current system is shit so change it or you're tying your own noose.

I gave him the benefit of the doubt on the basis that he was smart enough to realize the errors of his ways once it was laid out on the table for him.

I find it amusing that he couldn't change his system. You're bosses go to you and flat out tell you your current system is shit so change it or you're tying your own noose.

I gave him the benefit of the doubt on the basis that he was smart enough to realize the errors of his ways once it was laid out on the table for him.

what's really sad is that the one tactical change we've heard about - defensemen not pinching - is arguably the worst possible change they could have made, a change that only concedes possession even MORE.

kontiola, bodie, carrick granberg cut.

i agree with all of them, though carrick is the hardest cut there.

Kontiola, Granberg, Carrick cut.

Too bad about Carrick.
Not surprised about Kontiola, but with Franson out I'm a little surprised about Granberg being cut. I guess they're down to Percy vs. Granberg.

It's too bad Carrick is cut. I thought he's played ahead of Booth, Santorella already imo.

#Leafs lines tonight at Detroit.
JVR-Bozak-Frattin.
Lupul/Kadri/Leivo.
Komarov/Santorelli/Kozun.
Winnick/Holland/Nylander

Looks like they're leaning toward Leivo with the 2nd line RW spot. I'd be happy with that, he's earned it.

Forwards

Carter Ashton, David Booth, Tyler Bozak, David Clarkson, Matt Frattin, Peter Holland, Nazem Kadri, Phil Kessel, Leo Komarov, Brandon Kozun, Josh Leivo, Joffrey Lupul, Frazer McLaren, William Nylander, Colton Orr, Mike Santorelli, James van Riemsdyk, Daniel Winnik

Defense

Cody Franson, Jake Gardiner, Korbinian Holzer, Viktor Loov, Stuart Percy, Dion Phaneuf, Roman Polak, Morgan Rielly, Stephane Robidas, Henrik Tallinder

Goalies

Jonathan Bernier, Antoine Bibeau, James Reimer

31 guys left. 8 cuts to go. Most are pretty easy (Bibeau, Tallinder, Loov, Ashton, McLaren, Orr)

remaining roster (assuming tallinder and bibeau are cuts):

* - in a legit battle for a roster spot

Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
VanRyk - Kadri - Clarkson
Komo - Santo - Winnik
Booth* - Holland * - Frattin*
(McLaren * - Orr*)

Nylander*
Leivo*
Kozun*
Ashton*

Phaneuf - Robidas
Gardiner - Franson
Rielly - Polak
(Holzer*)

Percy*
Loov*

Bernier
Reimer

might need both percy and holzer if franson is hurt.

#Leafs lines tonight at Detroit.
JVR-Bozak-Frattin.
Lupul/Kadri/Leivo.
Komarov/Santorelli/Kozun.
Winnick/Holland/Nylander

Looks like they're leaning toward Leivo with the 2nd line RW spot. I'd be happy with that, he's earned it.

lookit that battle royale on RW.

Leivo, Frattin, Kozun, Nylander all getting one more chance to win a spot.

Leivo looks to be getting a golden chance to win that second line spot. Kozun that 3rd line spot too.

probably bad news for frattin and nylander, since we know that frattin is not stixking as a first liner nor nylander as a fourth liner.....though don't be surprised to see frattin and nylander flipflop during the game.

holzer has been good and bad, but mostly good imo.

he's been caught up ice a few times for rushes the other way, but otherwise his combo of size and skating and decent pudkhandling looks more than good enough to be an nhl 6/7 guy to me.

holzer has been good and bad, but mostly good imo.

he's been caught up ice a few times for rushes the other way, but otherwise his combo of size and skating and decent pudkhandling looks more than good enough to be an nhl 6/7 guy to me.

Back