• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The ****ing Season Thread

leafman101

**** the offseason. Its the ****ing season.

Nonis is having his first presser of the year. Some interesting stuff.

James Mirtle

Nonis says he could see Komarov getting some time on the power play.

Nonis: "Those players that have the higher salaries have to perform... There's other guys that will take their jobs if that doesn't happen."

"There are no spots open and someone's going to lose their job," Nonis says.

Nonis says Kessel's not an issue with the coaching staff. He says Kessel and Spott find the story today funny.

Nonis says he doesn't think Carlyle has to change the team's style of play. Adds the Ducks were a possession team and hard to play against.

Paul Hendrick
Dave Nonis on Nazem Kadri this season : "Naz has to be prepared to play 82 games. ". #TMLtalk

Mark Masters
Carlyle on Kessel: There is a double standard in sports & yes the talented players get more leeway to do what they want

Last edited:
James Mirtle ‏
Carlyle on Lupul-Bozak-Kessel: "We played them in Anaheim. They kicked our butt."

Read in the paper this morning that Carlyle was thinking of swapping Lupul and JVR too.

Was just going to mention that. Music to my ears. Complained about that for so long. He said they will try to make 3 balanced scoring lines. Everything else is same as before..better compete level and so on.

Nonis on Kadri "We need higher compete level from Kadri over 82 games"

Nonis on Clarkson "He just couldn't get going last season. He didn't turn into a bad hockey player over night."

WTF??

And ... Nonis "We won't pick (the roster) based on contract."

You mean like you did last season with #71 there?

Yeah, Lupul/Kessel was also just better than JVR/Kessel. Lupul was a ppg, dominant player that year. Lots of people thought he was better than Kessel.

Mark Masters ‏
Carlyle says based on previous chemistry it would be "foolish" not to try Santorelli & Booth together

Sounds like the first draft is:

Lupul-Bozak-Kessel
JVR-Kadri-XXX
Booth-Santorelli-XXX
Winnik-Kontiola-XXX

With XXX being some combinaton of Komarov, Clarkson and Frattin, Holland, Leivo or Nylander.

Yeah, Lupul/Kessel was also just better than JVR/Kessel. Lupul was a ppg, dominant player that year. Lots of people thought he was better than Kessel.

Mark Masters ‏
Carlyle says based on previous chemistry it would be "foolish" not to try Santorelli & Booth together

Sounds like the first draft is:

Lupul-Bozak-Kessel
JVR-Kadri-XXX
Booth-Santorelli-XXX
Winnik-Kontiola-XXX

With XXX being some combinaton of Komarov, Clarkson and Frattin, Holland, Leivo or Nylander.

Yeah that 2nd line winger is a big question mark...I'd give Clarkson a chance just to see if they can develop some chemistry(probably won't work though as he's just not that good)...Other than that I really like how Leivo works the corners and protects the puck(they need another guy who can do that on Naz's line as JVR sucks at it). Holland is a better player but not as strong on the puck as Leivo. Frattin is a decent option too. Komarov is pretty bad offensively imo and Nylander should go to AHL or back to Europe as he's fairly weak in the corners and probably won't make the team this year(we have enough offense so gotta focus on puck possession guys and 2 way game).

Nonis says he doesn't think Carlyle has to change the team's style of play. Adds the Ducks were a possession team and hard to play against.
That's why the sooner Nonis goes and takes Carlyle with him, the better it is for the Leafs.

The Ducks have not been a possession team under Carlyle except for the times when they had the best and 2nd best defensemen on their roster.

That second line right wing spot is going to be the most interesting one to watch in camp. Any one of David Booth, Mike Santorelli, Willam Nylander, Matt Frattin, Leo Komarov, Josh Leivo, Connor Brown or Carter Ashton could end up with that spot. It's all going to come down to training camp.

Hopefully they won't waste too much time giving David Clarkson another try-out in that spot.

Paul Hendrick ‏
Dion : "I'm looking forward to starting camp playing on the left side. " Dion added that he welcomes the veteran leadership the club added.

It will be interesting to see how the D shakes out.

Phaneuf-Robidas
Gardiner-Franson
Rielly-Polak/Granberg

That's why the sooner Nonis goes and takes Carlyle with him, the better it is for the Leafs.

The Ducks have not been a possession team under Carlyle except for the times when they had the best and 2nd best defensemen on their roster.

Nah, they're saying the right things, just don't have enough of those players to play that system. If we go back to playing how the Sens play for example(players just focus on scoring and screw everything else), we'll be even worse. They know what wins Cups so they'll try to go with it. Maybe it will be different with the new additions..We'll see..

Paul Hendrick ‏
Dion : "I'm looking forward to starting camp playing on the left side. " Dion added that he welcomes the veteran leadership the club added.

It will be interesting to see how the D shakes out.

Phaneuf-Robidas
Gardiner-Franson
Rielly-Polak/Granberg

While i admit those forward lines can give us some decent combos, i still am afraid when i look at this D. That's a lot of bad imo..but again maybe they surprise.

Maybe it's just a question of subjective quoting ... but man, does Nonis and Carlyle sound more stupid than ever this year? And they sound more lame-duck than ever too!

It's funny the reporters asked Nonis "Is Carlyle going to coach on a shorter leash than usual this season?" when Nonis HIMSELF is on thin ice.

i love how all kadri still gets is criticism, even though he's been one of our best corsi forwards, with strong qualcomp, even while posting our 2nd best ppg over the last two years...his first two years in the league.....and that's without getting to play with kessel and without being on the top pp unit.

we should be discussing trying out kadri and kessel together to start the year, not already starting in with the criticism.

VanRyk ----- Kadri ------ Kessel
Lupul ------- Bozak ----- Holland/Leivo/Nylander
Booth ------- Santo ----- Winnik
Komo ------- Konto ----- Clarkson/Frattin/Bodie/Ashton

Phaneuf ------ Robidas
Rielly --------- Polak
Gardiner ------ Franson
(Holzer)

yeah, the team needs to stop screwing around and give the kid a bigger role. if he disappears again fine, but we don't have enough talent not to at least try it.

They should put Kadri on the top PP for sure. He can drive a line on his own though. Him and Kessel don't need each other to produce.

Back