• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Hey Nerds: Cell Phone Edition

I'm not pro Android so much as I'm "**** Apple". When one of the biggest players in the game is pumping technology that is 2-3 years old in their new phones, that's bad for innovation and I'm a technologist/futurist at heart. A company like Apple could be doing real cutting edge shit and pushing things forward instead of repackaging 2-3 year old gear to people who don't know better/care.

They're not though, so **** them.

But on the plus side, they did figure out how to charge a phone by putting it in the microwave.

Oh, and in terms of losertardery, Apple fanboI's (p)own Android fanboi's.

It's more the cringe factor at apple getting so obscenely rich pushing thoroughly outdated material. It's like if Microsoft was charging more for the xbone than the ps4 with half the power and it was actually selling. Ever actually compared iPhone to it's competitors in terms of specs and features?

okay, what?

Huge mistake that has lead to them being the operating system running 80% of the smartphones in the world....

With the vast majority of those phones being poorly made, cheap handsets that have limited support. Blackberry once dominated the smartphone market place.

Not most, just some.

as an aside, I know that a Cult of Jobs fanboy isn't calling another fanbase pretentious.

The apple fanbois are equally annoying.
At the end of the day, it's a mobile computer. Nothing more, nothing less. If you use what you carry in your pocket to define your life's value then you need to take a step back and realize how lame you are.

I was merely commenting on how the op was asking an iPhone question and the android brigade cane out in full force unnecessarily.

Truth is, there is no winner in the debate.......both have their benefits over their competition and are better suited for certain demographics with varying needs/wants.

Fanboys of both who think their side is the be all and end all, are just as faggy as their counterpart on the opposing side.

The iphone 6 looks pretty sick and actually worth buying, even though its out dated to shit. People never bought iphones for the specs anyways and have always done really well that way. Lots of people still use the iphone 4 over 5s just...because its still a good phone that works awesomely. Android will always be better, but its ridiculous how much of a cellphones arms race android phones got going on. The crazy specs aren't even really needed (it's just a luxury). Iphone is proof of that.

It's all the same shit anyways. Samsung copied the hell out of the iphone and now the iphone is copying androids with the bigger screens, even after speaking against it for so long. They had to go bigger or otherwise what else could they market ? Outdated specs ?

ps killer, may want to go to www.gsmarena.com and read the information over there. Every time I'm buying a new phone I check it out on that site and read the reviews and you'll get lots of different opinions on the pros/cons people have. Always been people informative for me when trying to make a decision on what I want to spend my money on.

Last edited:
With the vast majority of those phones being poorly made, cheap handsets that have limited support.

Which of course couldn't be by design so that smartphones can be owned by people in poorer nations...right? Smartphones should only be for pretentious north americans, amirite?

Blackberry once dominated the smartphone market place.

Yes, when it was a marketplace dominated by corporate phones. Blackberry mis read the market and they continued focusing on enterprise instead of consumer products. Apple has mis read the market by pricing it out of the reach of everyone but affluent north americans and europeans.

Apple capitalized on Blackberries **** up, and Google has capitalized on Apple's.

Truth is, there is no winner in the debate.......both have their benefits over their competition and are better suited for certain demographics with varying needs/wants.

Fanboys of both who think their side is the be all and end all, are just as faggy as their counterpart on the opposing side.

Bottom line. I love the ipod, but for phones I've leaned towards Android. But I'd get an iPhone tomorrow if the price was right.

I had an iPhone and loved it. Then when we moved and I needed a new phone I went with a Galaxy... and after a little getting used to I now love it.

I think whatever you have and are used to is what you'll like. If I was upgrading right now I'd probably get the iPhone 6... but I have like a year and a half to wait so we'll see what Samsung has going on by then.

I went on Geekbuying.com and bought an HTC One clone...just for the hell of it. 88 bucks including shipping and it's brilliant.(for 88 bucks) The build quality is just ok and I have a feeling if I ever drop it, it's done. But after a few months of everyday use...it's working just fine. I haven't looked but I'm sure there will be an Eyephone 6 plus on there for a few hundred bucks. :)

Which of course couldn't be by design so that smartphones can be owned by people in poorer nations...right? Smartphones should only be for pretentious north americans,

Well played ha

Yes, when it was a marketplace dominated by corporate phones. Blackberry mis read the market and they continued focusing on enterprise instead of consumer products. Apple has mis read the market by pricing it out of the reach of everyone but affluent north americans and europeans.

Apple capitalized on Blackberries **** up, and Google has capitalized on Apple's.

Actually I'd made the argument that blackberry did the exact opposite. They created a shit tonne of lower quality phones and flooded the market with them. Remember the Pearl? They were literally giving them away for free. All these low cost handsets had different operating systems, specs and screen sizes. This inconsistencies created a problem for third party app developers who had to create multiple versions of differing quality to get full coverage. As result most major developers left bb. They were also killed by privacy breaches and massive outages of bbm.
Blackberry ultimately was screwed by their reluctance to adapt.

As for android, they have a similar issue where each manufacturer has different versions of the OS which invariably leads to a fractured market.

As an aside, a bunch of my coworkers use androids one thing that always caught my attention was how most of them disabled the unique features found on their phone like the eye tracking on the Samsung as they said it usually screwed up. Whereas most iphone users I know haven't disabled a single feature as they all just work.

Actually I'd made the argument that blackberry did the exact opposite. They created a shit tonne of lower quality phones and flooded the market with them. Remember the Pearl? They were literally giving them away for free. All these low cost handsets had different operating systems, specs and screen sizes. This inconsistencies created a problem for third party app developers who had to create multiple versions of differing quality to get full coverage. As result most major developers left bb. They were also killed by privacy breaches and massive outages of bbm.
Blackberry ultimately was screwed by their reluctance to adapt.

They were dead long before the pearl came out. It's been pretty well reported over the years that Blackberry completely misread the smart phone market (which we take for granted now, but didn't exist then...they ****ing created it) by betting on enterprise applications being the important side of things. When you look at what Blackberry did well, better than anyone else by a wide margin, was encryption, enterprise applications, email, etc. All business related. They were late entries into legitimate consumer end devices and it showed...because yeah, when they showed up with the pearl, curve, bold, etc they were all underpowered, buggy, with limited app stores. They had already lost that market before they'd ever fired a legitimate shot.

Shit, the one thing blackberry had legitimate consumer success with, BBM, was originally intended as a secure messaging app that didn't have the security holes that exist in text messaging. It was an enterprise application that caught on because it was free back when texts used to cost quite a bit of money.

As for android, they have a similar issue where each manufacturer has different versions of the OS which invariably leads to a fractured market.

Until Google releases their own phones...and I don't mean a bare bones Nexus offering. When your OS is on 80% of the phones in the world, 63% in North America, you can afford to play the long game. Apple is "falling" into the same position they're in with their computing arm, with a more dominant offering (PC vs Mac) soaking up a shit load of the marketplace, creating an ecosystem inhabited by a few dozen other massive companies.

Basically, Google will let the market be fractured for now, until they're in a place to challenge the major Android manufacturers with flagship phones. They're focusing on India and the rest of Asia with lower entry level phones to grow market share in massive, massive markets.

With that said, I question what the market being "fractured" really means. The Android experience is largely the same, the google play store exactly the same, etc.

As an aside, a bunch of my coworkers use androids one thing that always caught my attention was how most of them disabled the unique features found on their phone like the eye tracking on the Samsung as they said it usually screwed up. Whereas most iphone users I know haven't disabled a single feature as they all just work.

The trade off for having a phone with legitimately new technology I guess?

On the topic of Android Vs Apple, I don't think it's being framed right here. Am I an Android fanboy? No, it's a ****ing operating system. Am I a google fanboy? Absolutely. They're a company that is entirely about shaking up the way that we do everything, pushing the boundaries of commercially available technology...and creating the next generation of commercially available tech. If you're a tech company that doesn't actually invent anything, what the **** are you really doing?

Last edited:
On the topic of Android Vs Apple, I don't think it's being framed right here. Am I an Android fanboy? No, it's a ****ing operating system. Am I a google fanboy? Absolutely. They're a company that is entirely about shaking up the way that we do everything, pushing the boundaries of commercially available technology...and creating the next generation of commercially available tech. If you're a tech company that doesn't actually invent anything, what the **** are you really doing?

And yeah, this.

I do like Google and the way they operate, quite a bit. Doesn't mean I have anything against Apple.

Fanboism makes absolutely no sense to me. Why commit and be loyal to a company/OS? Why not put pressure on them to further innovate?

Right now my go to mobile OS is android but I'd switch over to iOS in a heart beat if they come up with features that fit my needs.

On the specs topic: Years ago when I bought my first Mac over better spec'd PCs, I learned that OS is much more important than a bunch of meaningless numbers.

Right now I feel like I'm suffocating when I use a windows machine. The speed at which I work on the now four year old Mac thanks to OSX wows me everyday.

Right now, for cell phones, I feel like I'm suffocating when I use an iPhone but the android experience and new innovative apps that come out everyday wow me.

Right now, for tablets, I prefer my wife's iPad mini with retina over my Nexus 7 2012. Of course, that could be because one is a $900 device, the other is a $200 device. (Most likely though it's because I don't use the cool features of android on my tablet a lot)

PS:
I've never owned a non stock android though (it's been all Nexus). I'm thinking of picking up a Note 4 this time around.

It all comes down to preference.... 1. try it. 2. pick which one you like best. 3 **** off with it and do what you want.

No need to shiite on other people's preferences.

It all comes down to preference.... 1. try it. 2. pick which one you like best. 3 **** off with it and do what you want.

No need to shiite on other people's preferences.

I thought about this last night after I wrote my last post and I kind of disagree. Not that it's constructive or makes a bit of ****ing difference, but I firmly believe in the concept of voting with your wallet. If you shop at Wal Mart, then you're supporting their shitty labour practices, their race to the bottom business model, etc. Similarly, if you're supporting Apple, you're supporting their business practices. Again, I dislike them as a tech company in general....so I'll shit talk them. Has nothing to do with the person who prefers them and everything to do with the company itself. **** Apple.

Back