• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Reimer vs. Bernier, round #368 - Good read

number17

Mod Squad
By now the Bernier vs. Reimer discussion should be all but over, and while I wasn't a big fan of Sportsnet (as compared to TSN) I have found a number of really good articles on SNET recently. This probably tops that list, and it's revisiting the Reimer vs. Bernier discussion again but with some interesting stats to back it up ...

Sportsnet Link here

There's no doubt Bernier's won the #1 job over Reimer. I still believe Reimer can establish himself with a starter in this league, maybe with another team, but the stats show he's got plenty of work cut out for him if he is to take that next step.

if Bernier plays like he did last year, he'd win the #1 job over most any goalie in the league.

if Bernier plays like he did last year, he'd win the #1 job over most any goalie in the league.
Yeah, not beating out Bernier for the starter's job last year isn't a big mark against Reimer. Bernier was top notch when healthy. I still think Reimer's inevitable fate will be to end up as the #1 goalie of the Winnipeg Jets, where he'll post top 10-15 stats and be a massive upgrade over the trash they currently have in their crease.

I'm just surprised how poor Reimer is with clean shots. I think a lot of this is Reimer is too 'floppy' and he isn't set for even clean shots. It's timing, and it's also his style where he needs to play a quieter style and let the shots come to him instead. It seems like Reimer needs a good goaltending coach to get to the next level.

Last December, the same guy posted a rather elaborate article to make the point that Reimer was, statistically-speaking, the best option for Team Canada in Sochi, concluding: “Since the lockout Reimer has the best save percentage among the contenders and also the only above-average mark in every individual category of the shot quality project.” http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/p...i-goalie-race/

Now, he's second fiddle to a guy who the author did not even consider a contender for Team Canada just 9 months ago. How can this be? It's called cherry picking. As he says, “I ran into these sample-size issues with James Reimer when I wrote last season about Olympic goaltender contenders last December. My self appointed window focused on performance heading into the Sochi, a window of about 60 games. The time frame highlighted the best hockey of Reimer’s pro career and an assessment, about 30 percent of his career total, leading to a favourable assessment.”

Except, that’s not exactly true. He also said in that article: “James Reimer has had three seasons of .920-plus save percentage performances. In his one playoff appearance he put up a .924 save percentage, yet this data is nullified by a nine-minute stretch last spring that ended in an historic loss for the Maple Leafs.”

Funny thing is … Reimer had never posted three.920-plus save percentage seasons. The author completely overlooked his.900 performance for the 2011-12 season. Now that he wants to make the case that Bernier is a significant upgrade over Reimer, that season’s data figure in.

It’s a judgement call how you select data for statistical presentation. Why go from 60 game comparison to entire career numbers? Virtually all of Reimer’s pre-2013/14 numbers are as a starter, whereas all of Bernier’s numbers from that period are as a backup. Not a great frame for comparison.

So, like when he made the case for Reimer being the best option for Sochi, he’s relying on 55 games from Bernier as a starter to claim he’s a significant upgrade. Old habits die hard.

yeah, i don't think the analytics community realizes how much of the backlash against them is from them blatantly abusing, or more likely just not knowing, basic statistical concepts.

for example, its scary how much of the grabo>bozak argument is based on one statistical breakdown based on an absolutely irrelevant tiny sample size of grabo playing with kessel.

thankfully, most of the grabo>>bozie hardliners have remained just bloggers... except for that last hire the leafs made, unfortunately.

but the first couple of leaf hires, based on their writings, at least seem to understand the basics of statistical analysis.

feels-good-man-thumb.jpg

yeah, i don't think the analytics community realizes how much of the backlash against them is from them blatantly abusing, or more likely just not knowing, basic statistical concepts.

for example, its scary how much of the grabo>bozak argument is based on one statistical breakdown based on an absolutely irrelevant tiny sample size of grabo playing with kessel.

thankfully, most of the grabo>>bozie hardliners have remained just bloggers... except for that last hire the leafs made, unfortunately.

but the first couple of leaf hires, based on their writings, at least seem to understand the basics of statistical analysis.

Got into a short facebook tiff with the Ricecake side of Too Much Starch the other day and something I found amusing when going over the "advanced" stats that proved how good Grabo is and how stupid anyone who disagrees is.....is that his infamous 2010-11 season had a massive PDO accompanying it. Funny that I've never heard the pro grabo crowd mention that before. Both Grabo & Kulemin had huge PDO numbers that season and oddly, neither have come that close to being that good again.

Weird.

Ok add I Lundquist there's 3, probably not Miller, there's 4, probably not Luongo so 5, not Renne so 6.... not Quick not Bishop Harding too. I guess it is still most but certainly not as one sided as Zeke made out. Granted I know he is a Reimer guy.

His sv% was better last year than literally every guy you just mentioned, except Bishop who beat him out by 0.001.......further supporting zeke's claim, not refuting it.

zeke's not saying Bernier is the best goalie in the league.....he's saying if he plays at the obscene level he did last year, "he'd win the #1 job over most any goalie in the league."

Which isn't just accurate.....it's irrefutable.

I expect better from you......people like us aren't supposed to mix with those common folk.

Every one has a dirty habit. Some people smoke, do drugs, or watch wrestling. I read comments sections. I don't post in them, but I read them.

Back