• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Leafs/Habs/Sens 2014-15

Rich or not, resources are finite.
Sure, the Leafs have finite resources. For example, they can't fund a trip to Mars, and they don't have the money to end world hunger. Likewise, if they decided to declare war on Russia, they probably wouldn't have the financial resources to defeat the Russian military. But an extra few contract years and an extra few million per year to get the coach they wanted? It's a drop in the bucket.

Even ignoring the billions that Rogers, Bell and MLSE as a whole pull in, the Leafs themselves are estimated to make 80-100 million in profit per season, and that's even with the team out of the playoffs. So the owners of MLSE can pay Nathan Horton $30M to not count against the cap and they can pay Mike Babcock $6.25M per year without even having to reach into their own personal bank accounts to get the money. And if for some reason, Mike Babcock is an unmitigated disaster as coach, they can afford to pay him to take a hike, and go out and hire someone else.

Your problem is that you're viewing the moves the richest team in the league is making from the perspective of a fan of one of the poorest teams in the league. For example, just think how ridiculous you'd find it if someone who works at MacDonald's full time for minimum wage called you insane for buying a Beemer, expensive watch & Burberry clothes, when you could get an economical Ford Focus, a reliable Timex watch and quality Wal-Mart-branded clothes for much less money.

mike-babcock.jpg.size.xxlarge.closeup.jpg

Couldn't care less that you guys got Babcock. He's a good coach, but there have been a slew of good coaches that have floundered in Toronto over the years.

I think you guys are drastically reaching.

Couldn't care less that you guys got Babcock. He's a good coach, but there have been a slew of good coaches that have floundered in Toronto over the years.

I think you guys are drastically reaching.

Did you really think they were good coaches?

Since Quinn, Maurice was probably the only decent coach who floundered here and he was done in by incapable goaltending and poor asset management.

Shanny and Babcock emphasized a process of building a winner, there were no bombastic words and nonsense, it's all about the business of winning.

Unrelated but cool:

Ottawa Senators
More than 20 of the potential live liver donors for Eugene Melnyk have decided to move forward as donors for someone else. #BeADonor

Good. He tried to use his celebrity to take a liver from someone else.
One of those kinda guys, eh?

He had to be convinced to make a public plea after exhausting all other avenues. Melnyk has a rare blood type that made finding a donor before dying incredibly unlikely.

He's also done more than his fair share of charitable work and fundraising for all sorts of causes. He's earned the right to make a public plea.

Good. He tried to use his celebrity to take a liver from someone else.
That's BS. Particularly since we're talking about live donors that came forward specifically because of Melnyk's appeal. Who's to say that Melnyk's donor, or any of the other 20 donors would have come forwarded and donated to anybody if not for Melnyk turning to the public?

I can't say I'd do anything different in his shoes either. If I or a close family member were in imminent danger of dying, and I had the kind of platform he and his family had available to him, I wouldn't waste any time wrestling with the ethics of making a public appeal.

Wilson and Carlyle both had a history of "winning" before coming to Toronto, and I'm sure they are both as committed to "winning" as Babcock.

Difference being that previous management made making the playoffs their agenda.

This new regime sold him on a long and painful rebuild in hopes of building a potential cup winner

I knew that would kill people.

Love the Leafs upsetting so many the last day. It's been great.

all polls point to us being the most popular so who cares what old Babcock has to say

He's better than what you had for sure, but I recall that Carlyle was supposed to be the guy, Wilson was supposed to be the guy, best available etc

Hope this works out for you.

Back