• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs News & Notes: 2014-15 Season

Pierre LeBrun ‏
Therrien had no interest in re-living the Lucic/handshake line from last spring. Says it's new season. Expects intense game as always vs B's

Some Max quotes

Аrpon Basu
"I don’t think the team uses it that much, from what I’ve found out.” - Max Pacioretty on #Habs use, or non-use, of analytics.

Pacioretty was interesting on analytics, admits he knows little about them, but sees value when it comes to team stats, less so individuals

When told that you need to have the puck in the offensive zone to attempt a shot, Pacioretty said he actually wants to shoot LESS this year

He referred to his work this summer with skills coach Darryl Belfry (http://portal.proplaymakers.ca/about/ ) who wants him to try fewer "hope plays"

By "hope plays" Pacioretty was referring to shots from the boards or sharp angles that have little chance of going in.

Pacioretty said he'd rather hold puck in those situations and try to make a play. Said Vanek was one of the best at that, learned from it

I asked him: "Don't you feel you score on a lot of 'hope plays'?" Pacioretty said, "Looking back on it, not really."

Pacioretty was comparing low percentage shots to the value of hanging on to the puck on the wall and forcing the defence to switch.

“I think most importantly, I’m waiting for D switches...If I get a forward on me I have a much better chance of scoring” - Pacioretty

Anyhow, was interesting hearing Pacioretty talk about that stuff coming off a discussion on the value of measuring shot attempts.

Pacioretty was also interesting on net presence and how it's easier for a small player like Gallagher to stand there than a big player

Gallagher's centre of gravity being so low, he's harder to neutralize in front, Pacioretty said. "I wish I was short for going to the net."

Pacioretty talked about timing his net drive so that he arrives in the "second wave" as the puck arrives, more likely to score that way

Some Max quotes

Аrpon Basu
"I don’t think the team uses it that much, from what I’ve found out.” - Max Pacioretty on #Habs use, or non-use, of analytics.

Pacioretty was interesting on analytics, admits he knows little about them, but sees value when it comes to team stats, less so individuals

When told that you need to have the puck in the offensive zone to attempt a shot, Pacioretty said he actually wants to shoot LESS this year

He referred to his work this summer with skills coach Darryl Belfry (http://portal.proplaymakers.ca/about/ ) who wants him to try fewer "hope plays"

By "hope plays" Pacioretty was referring to shots from the boards or sharp angles that have little chance of going in.

Pacioretty said he'd rather hold puck in those situations and try to make a play. Said Vanek was one of the best at that, learned from it

I asked him: "Don't you feel you score on a lot of 'hope plays'?" Pacioretty said, "Looking back on it, not really."

Pacioretty was comparing low percentage shots to the value of hanging on to the puck on the wall and forcing the defence to switch.

“I think most importantly, I’m waiting for D switches...If I get a forward on me I have a much better chance of scoring” - Pacioretty

Anyhow, was interesting hearing Pacioretty talk about that stuff coming off a discussion on the value of measuring shot attempts.

Pacioretty was also interesting on net presence and how it's easier for a small player like Gallagher to stand there than a big player

Gallagher's centre of gravity being so low, he's harder to neutralize in front, Pacioretty said. "I wish I was short for going to the net."

Pacioretty talked about timing his net drive so that he arrives in the "second wave" as the puck arrives, more likely to score that way

Was he high when he made these comments ?

MB was today on radio, he said :we are not yet an elite team !Depends how you analyse his words , He either wanted to calm fans who claim we are contender and remove pressure from his team OR positive side of it , he knows we are still not contender and will do his best to become one !

The NHL cap should be higher for these high taxed areas.

I've said that ever since the cap was brought in. The whole point of having a hard cap is to make all teams equal in terms of how much they can spend on players. But that only works if a dollar in Montreal is worth the same as a dollar in Calgary, New York City or Tampa Bay. It isn't worth the same and it never has been. The only fair way to solve the problem is to set the bar and then make adjustments on a team-by-team basis to account for the differences in taxes. It wouldn't have to be perfect down to the last dollar but if it erases the inequity it's all good. Carey Price makes around the same money as Luongo but is taxed over $600K more on his salary because he plays in Montreal, the highest taxed NHL jurisdiction, while greaseball lives in Florida where it's almost illegal for rich white dudes to pay taxes.

John Bartlett: Manny Malhotra is third in NHL faceoffs at 67.2% and is tied for NHL lead in shorthanded faceoff wins.

MB was today on radio, he said :we are not yet an elite team !Depends how you analyse his words , He either wanted to calm fans who claim we are contender and remove pressure from his team OR positive side of it , he knows we are still not contender and will do his best to become one !

I think the answer is both. He said the same thing at the end of last year.

I think the answer is both. He said the same thing at the end of last year.

He was being honest. Elite teams don't have players like DD in their top 6 and are more solid and experienced on the blue line. The good thing is that the East might not have any elite teams this season so we're in the mix. To me, the elite teams are pretty much all in the West.

He was being honest. Elite teams don't have players like DD in their top 6 and are more solid and experienced on the blue line. The good thing is that the East might not have any elite teams this season so we're in the mix. To me, the elite teams are pretty much all in the West.

I agree. And I think Boston was an elite team up until last year.

Honestly, I only see LA and Chicago as elite teams in the league.

San Jose and St.Louis are regular season elite but who cares about that. The same can be said about Pittsburgh.

I agree. And I think Boston was an elite team up until last year.

Honestly, I only see LA and Chicago as elite teams in the league.

San Jose and St.Louis are regular season elite but who cares about that. The same can be said about Pittsburgh.

I think St. Louis and SJ are elite.

Back