• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs News & Notes: 2014-15 Season

A bit of intellectual dishonesty in that arguement. It's not a mutually exclusive arguement: a career 45-pts David Backes (even with his $4.5M cap hit) is far far far more valuable to the makeup of the present day Mtl Canadiens roster/team than DD ever can be - and I'm head of the DD fan club on this board.

Its about fitting the pieces of the puzzle together to build that greater whole, just sayin......

But that's a bit dishonest too.

1. Backes is a career 52 point per 82 game player.
2. Over the past 4 seasons he's scored 58 points per 82 games.

So really his point production the same as DD's so of course his size and physical game makes him more valuable.

And I'd take a 6'3 50 points player over a 5'8 60 points player any day. But at one point you have to go with the production over size.

Not worried about Eller....we are making the playoffs anyways (unless a major choke or Price injury).....Eller-Bourque caused problem for opposing dmen because of their size and grind along the boards.

You need them to complement DD/Pleks....who hardly bother the bigger dmen like Chara

I can live with Eller-Bourque playing half of the time....we need their depth in the playoffs
Yeah im sure their lines 25% shooting from last years playoffs will repeat this yr
Not worried about Eller....we are making the playoffs anyways (unless a major choke or Price injury).....Eller-Bourque caused problem for opposing dmen because of their size and grind along the boards.

You need them to complement DD/Pleks....who hardly bother the bigger dmen like Chara

I can live with Eller-Bourque playing half of the time....we need their depth in the playoffs

He was being honest. Elite teams don't have players like DD in their top 6 and are more solid and experienced on the blue line. The good thing is that the East might not have any elite teams this season so we're in the mix. To me, the elite teams are pretty much all in the West.

He is bang on 100% correct you are not winning a cup with DD in your top 6 or in your lineup . He has a role as a gap filler in Nashville or Arizona that needs help down the middle and he buys you some time until his replacement is found but legit contenders will have no use for DD . Go back to your PVR games of the playoffs the last 2 years and his 2 goals and 10 points in 27 games with top minutes , pp time and best wingers....it isnt going to cut it .

We are too fascinated with points but they dont tell the whole picture . His stats arent that far off from Bergeron the last 3 years but one is the leagues best on face offs , best puck possession player , a top 3 2way player in the game , clutch performer and a top candidate for the Selke every and arguably a top 20-25 player in this league . The other might not even be considered a top 40 center in this league if rankings are rated .

But when April rolls around you cant get away with misfits in your lineup cause you will be exposed . You win cups with Kopitar - Carter -Stoll down the middle with quality role players like King, Shaw , Kruger , Clifford etc...who play effectively as bottom 6 role players , who can chip in a goal, play tough , and arent defensive liabilities . DD cant play a bottom 6 role due his size and defensive issues and he isnt good enough for a top 6 role cause he has no shot , isnt a goal scorer and cant bang physically with the better centers or players in this league in the intensity of the playoffs .

If his skill set won cups Ribiero would have 3 cups by now ( and he has put up some solid numbers in his career ) and not be on his 5th team .

Yeah im sure their lines 25% shooting from last years playoffs will repeat this yr

They may not repeat , but quite sure DD will never be our best forward in a playoff year . We can shit on Eller all we want , a third liner playing with inferior talent was our best forward regardless what your Corsi , Fenwick , or any other stat you want to look at.

The point is Eller clearly showed he can be a key contributor when it matters , and that third line was a huge reason we went to the semis.

And I'd take a 6'3 50 points player over a 5'8 60 points player any day. But at one point you have to go with the production over size.

Agreed.

Because the 6'3 player is better built for the grind of the playoffs.....where regular season points don't matter anymore

Per Francois Gagnon, Habs brass none too pleased with shit for brains' laissez faire attitude after the TBay pasting.

Agreed.

Because the 6'3 player is better built for the grind of the playoffs.....where regular season points don't matter anymore

That's why I've been saying McCarron will be a key piece to this team in a few years but the stats brothers keep reading from the gospel of Fenwick and Corsi.

Gally, Chucky, Sherbak and...Mac. Boom there it is.

If by "this team" you mean the Wheeling Nailers, I completely agree. He'll be going head to head against Tyler Biggs.

I'd trade Beaulieu if it meant getting a solid second pair veteran ~ 28 years old on d

Habs will not win Cup with DD as top center . As some said last year deep run was thanks to 3rd line mainly .I am ok with Eller and Bork as 3rd liners !

Back