• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs News & Notes: 2014-15 Season

There is no elite go to forward, the Habs D though "puck moving" is much softer on the puck than TBay's, and slower collectively.

This team is 3-components away - ideally 2-top6 players & a Markov replacement.

This team needs a Markov replacement only in the sense that they need a true #2 left handed d-man to play with Subban. Markov as a #3 is perfect at this stage, imo.

This team needs a Markov replacement only in the sense that they need a true #2 left handed d-man to play with Subban. Markov as a #3 is perfect at this stage, imo.

I think Sal's point was that Markov will not be around for much longer.

We still have two more seasons. Who knows, maybe Beaulieu will be that #2 by then.

But still, with the amount of roster turnover in the modern NHL, it's fairly possible his replacement will be found by then.

Chuckie has to become a go to forward. Scherbak must be a decent threat in 2 years.

Markov will be harder to replace than most realize. Will require some UFA or trade magic.
Unless Scherbak is a Giroux type exceptional draft miss, falling into the Habs lap - that's asking an awful lot of a 21-yr old.

Wouldn't hold my breath.

Unless Scherbak is a Giroux type exceptional draft miss, falling into the Habs lap - that's asking an awful lot of a 21-yr old.

Wouldn't hold my breath.

Bottom line Sal is 27 and Nikita are the only 2 legit upside pieces we have that must hit or we we are in trouble down the road.

Bottom line Sal is 27 and Nikita are the only 2 legit upside pieces we have that must hit or we we are in trouble down the road.
Taking the next step will be MB & his mgmt teams true test. Dudley has yet to find a Sharp or Andrew Ladd for the Habs - I suspect DSP was that attempt, hoping he'll become a difference maker down the road.

It took both Sharp & Ladd a couple of yrs to start establishing themselves, though different types of players.

MB & TT need to hit a homerun this draft, if it's as deep as speculated.

Last edited:
That's an exaggeration - they'd be what they've been for a while, a team in the chase for the wild card.

BTW - didn't just about every talking head pick TBay to win?

Exaggeration ? If the issue is without Price as HF1 mentioned cmon we are in the CMD sweepsatakes hands down with a mid tier goalie this year .

Taking the next step will be MB & his mgmt teams true test. Dudley has yet to find a Sharp or Andrew Ladd for the Habs - I suspect DSP was that attempt, hoping he'll become a difference maker down the road.

It took both Sharp & Ladd a couple of yrs to start establishing themselves, though different types of players.

Agreed 100 % but at the same time this regime needs to start trusting our kids and stop his " safe " approach and taking the path of least resistance . The 51 experiment is beyond annoying , live with 27`s mistakes and try to establish a future. When Nikita is ready I want him on the top 6 like Pastarnak is playing right now , and its the same with 28 etc....utilize them to their abilities. Stop patching with shit who have no future with us like PAP , Gilbert , etc....

If I am going to lose , do it with your best possible roster thats all I ask.

I hope that our management is smarter than that. I have little hope for Smith-Belly, even when in shape.

I hope that our management is smarter than that. I have little hope for Smith-Belly, even when in shape.

If you look closely he's got that unconvential stride & style of Wayne Simmonds, but he's got that willingness to engage & drive to the crease - I know u'r disappointed he's not ready for the here & now, but sometimes need to be patient.

Patrick Sharp looked terrible & lost on the ice, as a 24-yr old, scoring some 8 or 9 goals his first year w the Hawks (in some 55 games). Not comparing DSP to Sharp, but it takes time with "projects" which is what Smith-Belly is right now.

Marc Antoine Godin: Prior to Sunday when he was finally scratched, Michaël Bournival played for both Montreal and Hamilton despite dizziness. He's being examined further.

Yeah, except we're not.

People like me are annoyed that we don't have a truly elite team that doesn't need to depend on one single player to simply compete.

Chicago loses Patrick Kane, they keep rolling. NYR lose Lundqvist, they keep rolling. Nashville loses Rinne, they keep rolling.

This team loses Price? It's game over.

My only hope is that Bergevin isn't as blind as Gauthier was back in 2011 when we were one OT period away from beating the Bruins, who ended up winning the SC. Gauthier believed we weren't that far off, only to watch the team finish dead last in the East the following season when Price wasn't a Vezina caliber goaltender.

Well you're lucky because MB keeps repeating ad nauseam that the team isn't there yet and that his goal is to build it into a perennial contender.

Unfortunately Beaulieu is nowhere near ready to be a top pairing Dman (at present IMO) - that's the issue. At Markov's age, never know when he'll rapidly call off the cliff with all the minutes. The quicker MB can find the succession plan, the better for the team. I realize Markov type hockey IQ is almost impossible to acquire - as no team in their right mind will want to part with said player unless they receive a treasure trove.

I do hope those Cam Fowler rumors at the deadline were true & MB continues to try to acquire him in the offseason - Beaulieu & Fowler on LD paired w Subban & Petry would have the makings of a very solid D unit.

Then imagine Markov eventually on the 3rd pairing with limited minutes, how ideal would that be?

Yeah, except we're not.

People like me are annoyed that we don't have a truly elite team that doesn't need to depend on one single player to simply compete.

Chicago loses Patrick Kane, they keep rolling. NYR lose Lundqvist, they keep rolling. Nashville loses Rinne, they keep rolling.

This team loses Price? It's game over.

My only hope is that Bergevin isn't as blind as Gauthier was back in 2011 when we were one OT period away from beating the Bruins, who ended up winning the SC. Gauthier believed we weren't that far off, only to watch the team finish dead last in the East the following season when Price wasn't a Vezina caliber goaltender.

How do you know?

Back