• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs News & Notes: 2014-15 Season

He was being honest. Elite teams don't have players like DD in their top 6 and are more solid and experienced on the blue line. The good thing is that the East might not have any elite teams this season so we're in the mix. To me, the elite teams are pretty much all in the West.

How many "players like DD" are there in the league?

I think St. Louis and SJ are elite.

Based on what? We've won more playoff rounds than both teams together in the past 2 years and the same amount in that past 3 years.

For me if St.Louis and SJ are elite then so is Pittsburgh.

Last edited:
What's a "player like DD"? Small? Because there is quite a few small players in the league now.

That's why I was asking. I know that some good teams have small players in their top 6... and I know good teams have less productive players in their top 6... so I don't see how DD doesn't qualify as a top 6 player on a good team.

That's why I was asking. I know that some good teams have small players in their top 6... and I know good teams have less productive players in their top 6... so I don't see how DD doesn't qualify as a top 6 player on a good team.

There is not a lot actually. Rangers, Tampa, Boston and us are about the only good teams with a >=5'9 player on their top 6.

There is not a lot actually. Rangers, Tampa, Boston and us are about the only good teams with a >=5'9 player on their top 6.

That's probably because there aren't a lot of players that size that was productive players. People get hung up on player size rather than production/ability.

That's probably because there aren't a lot of players that size that was productive players. People get hung up on player size rather than production/ability.

A 6'3 player scoring 30 points is more valuable than a 5'8 player scoring 60 points.

If you have paid attention at any time during the past year you'd know that I disagree as well. I was merely voicing the opinion of some posters.

Last edited:
If you have paid attention at any time during the past year you'd know that I disagree as well. I'm merely voicing the opinion of some posters.
Hah to be honest I thought that seemed odd coming from you but I wasn't sure so I replied anyways.

I was opposed to resigning DD, and thought it was a bad move even up to a year later. But the last little bit has convinced me that, really, for the price we're paying him, he's brutally cheap. I mean, is there any team that gets more production from any line that's actually cheaper than Max-DD-Gallagher? And for all his faults, at least Desharnais isn't bad defensively (he tries), and he does go hard to the opposing net. I've warmed up enough to him that I would actually want a valuable player in return if we were to trade him.

I was opposed to resigning DD, and thought it was a bad move even up to a year later. But the last little bit has convinced me that, really, for the price we're paying him, he's brutally cheap. I mean, is there any team that gets more production from any line that's actually cheaper than Max-DD-Gallagher? And for all his faults, at least Desharnais isn't bad defensively (he tries), and he does go hard to the opposing net. I've warmed up enough to him that I would actually want a valuable player in return if we were to trade him.

I agree, it's a matter of production/cap ratio. At $3.5M it would be hard to find a non-entry level player that produces as much as he does, and against the other team top defensive players. If we were paying him 5-6M then it would be a completely different story.

A 6'3 player scoring 30 points is more valuable than a 5'8 player scoring 60 points.
A bit of intellectual dishonesty in that arguement. It's not a mutually exclusive arguement: a career 45-pts David Backes (even with his $4.5M cap hit) is far far far more valuable to the makeup of the present day Mtl Canadiens roster/team than DD ever can be - and I'm head of the DD fan club on this board.

Its about fitting the pieces of the puzzle together to build that greater whole, just sayin......

Last edited:
Back