• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Slugs @ Canes 10/14 7:30

For the record, Mike Sundheim once told me that there was no possible way they were giving freebies to their corporate sponsors back in the early days in Raleigh .... while I was holding two of those self same free tickets I got from a local car dealer in my hand right in front of him.

Bottom line ... this club's front office staff has hardly been transparent on the issue of ticket giveaways in the past ... read, have NEVER been transparent on the issue.

Thanks, that all I need to no to reaffirm my decision to not renew in the face of an org that lies to and effectively abuses, its STHs with its overall ticketing policies.

Sure I want hockey here, but I want it from an org that I can trust

Have to agree that Semin stunk up the ice last night, but he wasn't alone. Can't say I was impressed with Lindholm's play, either. Looks like Cam is gonna give up 3 goals a night, so we'll need to score a helluva lot to make up for that deficit. I think Nash and Gerbe outplayed everyone last night.

I think the SOG numbers look worse than they are. I know for a fact that he took several shots, just because he didn't hit the goalie in the chest with them, doesn't mean they weren't taken. Remember, this guy aims for corners nearly every time.

Could Semin stand to play a little better, absolutely. But to anyone who thinks he's going to carry this team on is shoulders, you're delusional...including you Mr. DeCock. Yes, he makes $7m, and yes he's expected to produce offense. But he's NEVER been a solo game changer. He needs a supporting cast. Let's be realistic here.

Sure I want hockey here, but I want it from an org that I can trust

Good luck with that. In my experience most if not all professional teams, aside from ones who routinely sell out, play games with freebies to one degree or another.

I think the SOG numbers look worse than they are. I know for a fact that he took several shots, just because he didn't hit the goalie in the chest with them, doesn't mean they weren't taken. Remember, this guy aims for corners nearly every time.

Could Semin stand to play a little better, absolutely. But to anyone who thinks he's going to carry this team on is shoulders, you're delusional...including you Mr. DeCock. Yes, he makes $7m, and yes he's expected to produce offense. But he's NEVER been a solo game changer. He needs a supporting cast. Let's be realistic here.

Change that to a lot better and I'll agree with you.

Good luck with that. In my experience most if not all professional teams, aside from ones who routinely sell out, play games with freebies to one degree or another.

I have no problem with freebies...I think its expected. But to lie to your face and now to clearly know that it is highly likely that I was lied to by Doug Warf about not selling tickets on Stubhub or other outlets at dramatically low prices (he acknowledged that their promotions did undercut STHs to an extent), is where I get ticked off.

I get all of it, but I don't want to do business with blatant liars.

I think maybe that's part of Luke's point -- the term and dollar amount for this player for this team at this time. Some people would label it a "narrative" and dislike it, but I think in this case it's a very fair one to chose and roll with. Most people (fans/media) were pretty surprised by the term/$ after an abbreviated season. I don't think many will be surprised if he continues to frustrate them. It was a huge gamble with big money. Who knows, maybe it'll pan out, but that jury is still way out.

Anyway - I think any criticism from Luke is as much big picture as 1 game.

While Ward gave up 3 in regulation you have to say that he was pretty solid in the extra time and the shootout. The hate-on for the man seems to continue unabated and I am wondering if that is legit or just misplaced frustration.

(Yes I DO have a soft spot for Ward. I probably always will. It doesn't mean I can't recognize when he is playing like Swiss cheese. I DO however know that a great many goals don't ALWAYS fall solely on the shoulders of the netminder. Just as most victories are not mostly his either.)

:cheers2:
Raymond:smash:

While Ward gave up 3 in regulation you have to say that he was pretty solid in the extra time and the shootout. The hate-on for the man seems to continue unabated and I am wondering if that is legit or just misplaced frustration.

(Yes I DO have a soft spot for Ward. I probably always will. It doesn't mean I can't recognize when he is playing like Swiss cheese. I DO however know that a great many goals don't ALWAYS fall solely on the shoulders of the netminder. Just as most victories are not mostly his either.)

Not sure it is misplaced frustration. Statistically speaking, he has been a far below average NHL goalie for a couple years yet remains one of the higher paid goalies. Last year he was brutal and ranked near the bottom of ALL NHL goalies. This year he is off to a slow start as well.

Stats can lie, but in Ward's case it is hard to put a positive spin on his numbers and game the past couple years. That is the frustration as, in theory, we all expect more from him as he has played well early in his career. What happened?

I think maybe that's part of Luke's point -- the term and dollar amount for this player for this team at this time. Some people would label it a "narrative" and dislike it, but I think in this case it's a very fair one to chose and roll with. Most people (fans/media) were pretty surprised by the term/$ after an abbreviated season. I don't think many will be surprised if he continues to frustrate them. It was a huge gamble with big money. Who knows, maybe it'll pan out, but that jury is still way out.

Anyway - I think any criticism from Luke is as much big picture as 1 game.

Totally agree with this! JR dished out many bad contracts in his time here but Semin's might be the worst ever! The thing I hated the most about his deal was the term more than the cash...he was going to get his $6 to $7 million regardless here or somewhere else, but the length was awful. A three year deal would have been about right. Semin is a pure goal scorer and a complimentary player, but certainly not a front line leader, and $7 million a season is usually reserved for front line leaders.

Last edited:
Not sure it is misplaced frustration. Statistically speaking, he has been a far below average NHL goalie for a couple years yet remains one of the higher paid goalies. Last year he was brutal and ranked near the bottom of ALL NHL goalies. This year he is off to a slow start as well.

Stats can lie, but in Ward's case it is hard to put a positive spin on his numbers and game the past couple years. That is the frustration as, in theory, we all expect more from him as he has played well early in his career. What happened?

Understood about past seasons... I am talking about this season. I always wipe the slate clean every year.... or try to. Now, considering how much he gets paid and how awful he has been. Ya... he has a long way to go to earn trust and respect among the fans. But has he been that awful this year in his 125 minutes and 8 Penalty shots?

Back