• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The REAL Standings, 2014-15

How do the Habs rank in S%? If they're near the top of the league, and that represents a big improvement over the past few seasons, I would argue they'd be prime for a regression.

Of course, having Carey Price makes their PDO more sustainable, and can mask a lot of other deficiencies.

Canadiens:

SV%:

1st this year
3rd last year
17th year previous

S%:
10th this year
14th last year
8th year previous

PDO:

1st this year
7th last year
14th year previous

Their PDO is goaltender driven, no doubt about it. SH% hasn't fluctuated too much. As I said earlier, their skaters had their best year in 2012 overall, but Price was below average.

Of course, having Carey Price makes their PDO more sustainable, and can mask a lot of other deficiencies.

Exactamundo.

The Pens have Crosby and Malkin, Kings have Kopitar and Doughty, Hawks have Kane and Toews, Habs have Price and Subban, Lightning have Stamkos and Hedman....

All good teams have a player or two that contribute a massive percentage to their success. It seems when it's a goalie everyone likes to pretend they aren't part of the team or something.

Canadiens:

SV%:

1st this year
3rd last year
17th year previous

S%:
10th this year
14th last year
8th year previous

PDO:

1st this year
7th last year
14th year previous

It's goaltending driven.

....aaaaand the goalie is part of the team?

....aaaaand the goalie is part of the team?

Right. PDO has two components. Goalie (SV&) and skaters (S%). That's all I'm saying. Their PDO is high because Price is having a great year. Their skaters are performing where they have the last few years. Their possession numbers are down though, which will bite them when Price inevitably cools off a bit.

Canadiens:

SV%:

1st this year
3rd last year
17th year previous

S%:
10th this year
14th last year
8th year previous

PDO:

1st this year
7th last year
14th year previous

Their PDO is goaltender driven, no doubt about it. SH% hasn't fluctuated too much. As I said earlier, their skaters had their best year in 2012 overall, but Price was below average.

At first glance, that looks pretty sustainable. Price is that good, and it's not like the roster is dramatically outperforming their performance from the past couple seasons.

So, despite having a high PDO, I'm not sure I would classify the Habs as 'lucky' and likely to regress.

They're 25th in CF% and 21st in FF%. Eventually, it catches up to you. Not saying they aren't a good team, but they probably aren't 112pt pace good.

Right. PDO has two components. Goalie (SV&) and skaters (S%). That's all I'm saying. Their PDO is high because Price is having a great year. Their skaters are performing where they have the last few years. Their possession numbers are down though, which will bite them when Price inevitably cools off a bit.
He was .927 last season and is what .929 this year. This year is likely not an anomaly.

They're 25th in CF% and 21st in FF%. Eventually, it catches up to you. Not saying they aren't a good team, but they probably aren't 112pt pace good.

Their slim margin of victory makes even a slight downturn more dramatic in effect. The Corsi and Fenwick #'s show that they are getting outplayed, outshot and outchanced in the majority of their games.

Their slim margin of victory makes even a slight downturn more dramatic in effect. The Corsi and Fenwick #'s show that they are getting outplayed, outshot and outchanced in the majority of their games.
Our goal difference has been badly effected by a couple of blowouts against.

I know the little sisters in Ottawa are jealous of us, that is so cute.

I understand not liking the Habs and wanting them to fail---if the bleu, blanc et rouge toilet seats lost every game from here on out, that'd suit me just fine.

I don't understand being incapable of viewing a rival with some sense of objectivity though. The Habs finished 2nd in the East two years ago, 4th in the East last year, made it to the Eastern conference final last season, and they're back in 4th place in the East about 55% of the way through this season. So, I think it's pretty safe to say that the Habs are actually a good hockey team.

It's equally safe to say, after looking at what the two teams have done since then, that the Sens' first round victory over the Habs was as much of a mirage as the Leafs making the playoffs and taking the Bruins to seven games that same year.

I understand not liking the Habs and wanting them to fail---if the bleu, blanc et rouge toilet seats lost every game from here on out, that'd suit me just fine.

I don't understand being incapable of viewing a rival with some sense of objectivity though. The Habs finished 2nd in the East two years ago, 4th in the East last year, made it to the Eastern conference final last season, and they're back in 4th place in the East about 55% of the way through this season. So, I think it's pretty safe to say that the Habs are actually a good hockey team.

It's equally safe to say, after looking at what the two teams have done since then, that the Sens' first round victory over the Habs was as much of a mirage as the Leafs making the playoffs and taking the Bruins to seven games that same year.

Sadly true. We didn't even get to raise a banner.

The gap will narrow, especially over the Sens.

The Habs are 4th in the NHL in point percentage, but only 12th in goal differential.

The Sens are 22nd in point percentage, but 18th in goal differential.

The other team that, like Montreal, is poised for a big drop is the Ducks...1st in point%, but 10th in goal diff.

Leafs at 23rd and 21st, so fairly close.

The point differential is where it is due to five blowout losses. I'm not concerned.

Back