• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

LEADERSHIP

*AH*

Nicholas Cotsonika has a great take on leadership:

Leadership occasionally is grand gestures – speeches, heroics. But mostly it’s little things – mentorship. It’s setting examples and teaching lessons and demanding accountability on a daily basis and personal level, not just about hockey, but about life. Most players left home as teenagers, and when they arrive in the NHL, they’re given money, fame and responsibility at a young age. Their main influences are their teammates.

If we could just get Eric to take this to heart and make it his raison d'etre. This is what Brind'Amour and Francis brought and this was the environment that Eric was given but it seems he either didn't learn it or he just hasn't the ability to live it.

Right now, it looks to me that Tim Gleason is the best leader our team has.

I want to see Staal play 20 games under Coach Bill. We should know plenty by then. Plus other teams tend to give up a little more trading mid season, if they think they can "win it".

Staal is closing in on 30 in the next couple of days. Anyone that expects his work ethic or leadership style (or abilities) to substantially change is only fooling themselves. It isn't going to happen in Carolina. Staal needs a certain structure to thrive and the Hurricanes currently don't offer that environment. He has played his best hockey when someone else on the team is able to take over the main leadership role such as when Brindy and Francis were around. There is no one else on the Canes that commands anywhere close to that type of respect and influence and Eric's play has suffered as a result.

When JR went out to get Jordan Staal, I am sure he thought that would be the person to help Eric offset the team leader duties and help Eric elevate his game. I understood the thinking then but it just hasn't panned out. I think Jordan has deferred to his brother too much and both of them have suffered as a result. Eric doesn't have a person around (or media) to give him the kick in the a$$ he needs to stay focused and to play at a constant high level. Jordan has taken a bit of a backseat with the Canes due to family dynamics and hasn't shown his full potential (both on ice performance and off ice leadership) that he was displaying his last years in Pittsburgh. The next step for him never occurred. The trade for Jordan is now a failed experiment and Eric has more trade value so it is time for him to move on. I will trust Francis to pull the trigger at the right time to get max value as I don't think this organization has a better path toward long term improvement but to trade Eric.

Eric can be a very good player again, and once again Toronto makes a lot of sense. I think a guy like Phaneuf commands the type of respect that can take off-ice leadership duties away from Eric and let him focus on playing. Phaneuf also won't be afraid to call Eric out when he is flopping around the ice. I would actually look forward to seeing if Eric can raise his game again and put up big numbers. I will also be rooting for it to happen, but I will not be holding my breath for him to change in Carolina under the current circumstances. He has made a career of tuning coaches out when he feels like it so Peters doesn't have a shot.

The one thing that could be funny if Eric ends up in Toronto would be Toronto stripping the C from Phaneuf (some are unhappy with late season collapses) and then giving it to Eric. That would be interesting as we all know and would only increase the media frenzy that would come with Staal's arrival in Toronto. It would be interesting to watch afar.

I'm surprised Randy wasn't gone last summer. Babcock won't speculate on his coaching future of course. Leafs are mixed bag of arguably the most prestigious coaching job in the NHL and a rats nest of pressure the likes of which even Detroit and Phila can't match.

He's going to be a very wealthy man. I suspect there will be a major bidding war for him.

If Pittsburgh flames out again this year, look for them to be in the bidding as well. There have been rumors of a Crosby/Babcock pairing for a while now due to Olympic successes. Anyway you look at it Babcock will have plenty of options come summertime and will be able to pick his ideal spot.

Every rumour out of Toronto involves Kadri, Gardiner and at times, their first round draft pick. Perhaps we ought to give 'em kudos for not trying tell us that David Clarkson's contract was a good deal, too!

Here is some analysis done by TSN on Eric Staal. It shows he is still an impact type player but in a period of decline. The most surprising (or maybe least as we watch him) thing is the huge drop in the effort related numbers such as shots and penalties drawn. Big drops in production as compared to the first couple of years in his career.

Once again it just seems to be more data that his peak years are behind him and now would be a good time for Canes to make the rebuilding move of trading him while he still has good value.

http://www.tsn.ca/yost-signs-of-decline-in-eric-staal-s-game-1.112145

I read that article and I had 3 thoughts: 1.) Eric Staal plays on a really bad team; 2.) interesting timing based on the desire to see him traded to a Canadian team; and 3.) who in the hell was the author? Not sure I disagree, per se, but interesting we aren't seeing the same type of articles about players not in the rumor mill.

Right now, it looks to me that Tim Gleason is the best leader our team has.

Key words ... "looks to me"

Honestly, unless you're in the room and on the plane, we have no idea what's going on or who is actually leading this team either effectively or ineffectively. That's the plain and simple bottom line. There have been plenty of crappy NHL teams over the years with great individual leadership. And visa versa.

Back