• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes @ Jets 10/21 8:00

Brutal....is Ronnie in over his head? He still hasn't made his first trade yet.How do Skinner's parents feel watching him skate around in a daze all night knowing he's one hit away from the clown farm? When will we pine the big useless Russian dude? Why can't Khudobin control his rebounds this year? Why has Faulk regressed? So much of a train wreck out there....just brutal.

The canes aren't too far from victory.
They just ned to work on a few minor details.
Skating - losing all the race to the pucks and very slow getting out of the zone and through the neutral zone.
Board work - you know, coming out controlling the puck
Puck handling, you know, keeping the puck on the stick
Passing - it's tape to a team mates tape. Not to the skates or to an opponents tape.
Shooting - the net is 24 square feet and a puck is 3 inches, do the math.
Checking, it's a matter of separating man from puck. its not magic so waving your stick like a wand doesn't do much.
And after the basics are done, then work on a system and style.
To me training camp was a waste. Maybe Peters thought he had more than actually has so he didn't see the need to skate them more?

Don't think this should be a big surprise to anyone on this forum. We've been talking about it all during the off-season. However, I didn't expect zero wins in the first 5 games - that's a new standard for sucking even when compared against low expectations. About last night, I found little to be pleased about. We were physically outplayed the whole night. Semin has been a no-show since the season started. Gleason looked useless out there and both Faulk and Murphy were made to look like fools during parts of the game. Thankfully, the next few games will be broadcast later and I won't be tempted to watch them.

Brutal....is Ronnie in over his head? He still hasn't made his first trade yet.How do Skinner's parents feel watching him skate around in a daze all night knowing he's one hit away from the clown farm? When will we pine the big useless Russian dude? Why can't Khudobin control his rebounds this year? Why has Faulk regressed? So much of a train wreck out there....just brutal.

I'm not Skinner's family, but it pissed me off that by the mid point of the 1st period it was obvious that Trouba was headhunting Jeff. And Jeff had to spend time in the box for defending himself. That's the typical Candy Canes crap that drives me insane about this team. Nash finally stuck up for himself after Trouba started laying on him for a couple of shifts in a row. Has the game changed so much that you don't send out somebody to send Trouba a message? It wasn't that long ago, that you would nail Trouba hard enough to take him out of the game, even if it did mean you got a GM and 10 minutes...or you went after another Jets key player with a couple of high elbows, or plastered them into the boards hard enough that they would have to watch the replay to see what happened. This team is not only bad, they are candyassed!

Blow it up Ronnie, please BLOW IT UP. There's little here worth trying to salvage!

I'm not Skinner's family, but it pissed me off that by the mid point of the 1st period it was obvious that Trouba was headhunting Jeff. And Jeff had to spend time in the box for defending himself. That's the typical Candy Canes crap that drives me insane about this team. Nash finally stuck up for himself after Trouba started laying on him for a couple of shifts in a row. Has the game changed so much that you don't send out somebody to send Trouba a message? It wasn't that long ago, that you would nail Trouba hard enough to take him out of the game, even if it did mean you got a GM and 10 minutes...or you went after another Jets key player with a couple of high elbows, or plastered them into the boards hard enough that they would have to watch the replay to see what happened. This team is not only bad, they are candyassed!

Blow it up Ronnie, please BLOW IT UP. There's little here worth trying to salvage!

I will ask this question again...what in the hell is Brad Malone doing out there if he cannot even stick up for Skinner? The guy was the so called big body free agent acquistion that could play a regular shift on the fourth line and still drop the gloves when needed without being a 3 minute a night goon.

The Canes are better off with a designated goon to at the very least defend the very fragile Skinner, not to mention all the other mighty mites out there like Gerbe, Murphy, Boychuk, etc...

I guess it's the same old M.O. around here. These guys will get beat on night after night, unless they want t stick up for themselves. It's not like other teams don't see how soft and fragile the Canes are. I expect them to get hammered night after night.

I don't envy Ron Francis right now. He's the captain of as sinking ship, and even the life preservers are inadequate!

You wonder what Peters is doing behind closed doors to address the obvious issues (if there is anything else he can really do without Ronnie's help). And you also wonder if anything will really get better when Eric Staal returns to the lineup. Right now there is a lot wrong with our play, many of the same issues we have had for years (lack of physical play, lack of players willing or capable of winning battles, lack of net traffic, just terrible 5 on 5 play). I don't really think this team is going to lose the next 3 road games, but it certainly could happen if they come out and play the way they did last night. One thing that is handicapping Peters right now is we don't even have a full roster available. So while sitting Semin for a game might be appropriate, Peters obviously cannot pull that trigger since he already is short a forward. You can't wield the ice time hammer if you don't have anyone else even available.

Not sure what is going to happen next, but you can bet the buzzards are circling. The only question now is if this team is capable of peeling themselves off the ice and showing some fight and getting back into the game (it is only 5 games in after all), or if they are going to lie down and let other teams beat on the carcass waiting for Ronnie to start to sell off the pieces. This isn't exactly making Waddell's job any easier. How the heck are they going to convince anyone new to buy tickets or corporations to sponsor this train wreck? They can't come back from this road trip with an 0-6-2 record and expect any kind of crowds on Nov 1st and 2nd.

Sooo. . .how about a couple of positives?

I believe for the first time (since moving to NC at least) this team has a PP+PK totalling over 100%. (Maybe the Cup year they totaled over 100%)

We are close to, if not the best, faceoff team in the league (E. Staal will fix that when he returns though).

Nash has been surprisingly good given he's having to play top line minutes. If he can continue when he's back on the 2nd/3rd line, he could really take advantage of some favorable matchups.

Skinner played a game without getting his brain mash potatoed.

Teams will look at us and think that we are so bad they don't have to try hard and we will pick up a few wins. Lord knows the 'Canes have done this hundreds of times over the years.

I think that about covers it.

T

You wonder what Peters is doing behind closed doors to address the obvious issues (if there is anything else he can really do without Ronnie's help). And you also wonder if anything will really get better when Eric Staal returns to the lineup. Right now there is a lot wrong with our play, many of the same issues we have had for years (lack of physical play, lack of players willing or capable of winning battles, lack of net traffic, just terrible 5 on 5 play). I don't really think this team is going to lose the next 3 road games, but it certainly could happen if they come out and play the way they did last night. One thing that is handicapping Peters right now is we don't even have a full roster available. So while sitting Semin for a game might be appropriate, Peters obviously cannot pull that trigger since he already is short a forward. You can't wield the ice time hammer if you don't have anyone else even available.

Not sure what is going to happen next, but you can bet the buzzards are circling. The only question now is if this team is capable of peeling themselves off the ice and showing some fight and getting back into the game (it is only 5 games in after all), or if they are going to lie down and let other teams beat on the carcass waiting for Ronnie to start to sell off the pieces. This isn't exactly making Waddell's job any easier. How the heck are they going to convince anyone new to buy tickets or corporations to sponsor this train wreck? They can't come back from this road trip with an 0-6-2 record and expect any kind of crowds on Nov 1st and 2nd.

Outside of the trade talk we have already had on #12...who else is even moveable right now on the Canes? Wardo and Semin both have huge contracts that are almost impossible to trade, Skinner is dinged up and a risk, Liles/Gleason/Bellemore/Hainsey...none of those guys are much more than spare part defencemen. Sekera is likely the one guy that teams are calling about on the Canes, but all and all it will be tough for Ronnie to even move much via trade right now.

Ronnie was dealt a bad hand and he knows it. There's not much he can do except to wait and try to make the best out of a bad situation. I'm looking to Peters to see how he handles this adversity. His priority check list of things to correct with this team (except for PPs) is in shambles.

This isn't exactly making Waddell's job any easier. How the heck are they going to convince anyone new to buy tickets or corporations to sponsor this train wreck?

Well, the Canes Post that said "Two game point streak broken in Winnipeg" convinced me that things are going great!

Remember when the pens really sucked? They played the farm fellows and ended up drafting number one more than once. I know Edmonton screwed it up, but I like that Ron is willing, and seems to have the calmness, to let the franchise be what it is. Rutherford type fixes were like trying to paddle up a a strong stream that gets stronger as you go until the rapids make it impossible to continue. It is time to pick the boat up and take it to calm water were the players just play. Besides, with all the holes in the boat there are only so many fingers to fill them. Let the chips fall where they may.

I like that Ron is willing, and seems to have the calmness, to let the franchise be what it is.

I am with you and--like many others here--support the idea of a major rebuild. My big problem is that management is not being straight with the fans on this. Just be honest with us, tell us that you're rebuilding with eyes toward the future instead of winning now and ask for our support for what will likely be a long-term process. That will make us much more loyal than trying to sell us a heaping pile of s*%t as a playoff-caliber team.

Just curious, do the other sucky teams ticket drives and advertising contain as much obvious bs? Maybe you never openly admit to the rebuild, to the suck age.
During the pre-season I wondered how this team was going to handle a big injury if they managed to start half way decent and contend. Then J. Staal is injured. And so on and so forth. Having recently suffered a pretty serious injury myself, I am really pissed to see Jeff Skinner out there,at all, let alone so soon after his latest concussion. What the hell isnthisnteam thinking? Plus we can't defend have no salt in our ranks.

Remember when the pens really sucked? They played the farm fellows and ended up drafting number one more than once. I know Edmonton screwed it up, but I like that Ron is willing, and seems to have the calmness, to let the franchise be what it is. Rutherford type fixes were like trying to paddle up a a strong stream that gets stronger as you go until the rapids make it impossible to continue. It is time to pick the boat up and take it to calm water were the players just play. Besides, with all the holes in the boat there are only so many fingers to fill them. Let the chips fall where they may.
This. Ktown nailed it.

I am with you and--like many others here--support the idea of a major rebuild. My big problem is that management is not being straight with the fans on this. Just be honest with us, tell us that you're rebuilding with eyes toward the future instead of winning now and ask for our support for what will likely be a long-term process. That will make us much more loyal than trying to sell us a heaping pile of s*%t as a playoff-caliber team.

+1!

Back