• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

0 for October

StormChaserBH

So we're off to the worst start in franchise history, but how does it compare to others?

Courtesy of Grantland, I collected some other "great starts" in the NHL:

TeamGreat StartSeasonNotes
1943-44 New York Rangers 0-14-16-39-5 worst (had lost 10 players to WWII service)
2009-10 Toronto Maple Leafs 0-7-130-38-14 2nd worst - had previously traded 1st rounder to BOS (Tyler Seguin)
1971-72 Los Angeles Kings 2-11-1 20-49-9 2nd worst - had previously traded 1st rounder to MTL (Steve Shutt)
1990-91 Edmonton Oilers2-11-2 37-37-6 made playoffs; lost in conference finals
1992-93 San Jose Sharks 1-9-0 10-70-4 2nd worst (expansion team) - traded down to pick Viktor Kozlov
1992-93 Ottawa Senators 1-20-1 11-71-2 worst (expansion team) - drafted Alexandre Daigle

So the Oilers made lemonade out of lemons, but most of the others not only continued down their pitiful path, but managed to screw up the spoils of futility as well.

dumpster-fire.jpg

Last edited:
The worst that can happen? Finish 29th. Watch the 28th place team win the lotto.

Nice to see Buffalo mailing it in with "10" shots on goal for the night last evening...TEN shots on goal!!!

The Canes are just bad, but at least they can blame the injuries...Buffalo actually looks like they are tanking in October on purpose.

I personally think October went great...my only problem with the month was they got two points. I am rooting for an equally inept November so I can finally here the organization admit it is time for a rebuild. I am sick of the usual messaging and would just like some honesty. I will be hard to deny after another month down the tubes.

I personally think October went great...my only problem with the month was they got two points. I am rooting for an equally inept November so I can finally here the organization admit it is time for a rebuild. I am sick of the usual messaging and would just like some honesty. I will be hard to deny after another month down the tubes.

With JR gone and the struggles now truly exposing all the flaws with this team, it really is time for management and ownership to admit that the apple is rotten to the core! No more blaming injuries, no more blaming the NHL schedule makers, the truth is in the results. Cam is done, the depth in the system is terrible, the defense sucks, and your so called star players and their fat contracts are simply not living up to the expectations.

:explode

At least they are back at home now so our demanding media can ask the tough questions (since they don't bother to follow them out on the road). :incazzato:

Nice to see Buffalo mailing it in with "10" shots on goal for the night last evening...TEN shots on goal!!!

The Canes are just bad, but at least they can blame the injuries...Buffalo actually looks like they are tanking in October on purpose.

Interestingly enough, I am was thinking about this, along those lines yesterday...can anyone or does anyone really believe we'd be that much better with J-Staal in the line-up and Eric from start? We'd be as good as last season, with a tweaked fourth line. Maybe that's an improvement, but as we all know, there are 29 other teams out there constantly trying to improve. A lot of teams HAVE improved. Not our Canes.

Its really going to be hard to outsuck Buffalo this year if the Sabres going the way they are. In 10 games so far this year they have 11 goals. That is almost epic goal scoring futility. Even our sad sack crew has 15 goals in 8 games.

I'm not sure what the most inept goals per game average by an NHL team for a full season actually is, but I suspect the early pace that Buffalo has set would challenge whatever that record is. It wasn't uncommon for some teams to average less (sometime much less) than 2 goals a game way way back in day, but Buffalo seems to be capable of of a new level of goal scoring futility. Pretty hard to win games averaging 1 goal a game.

Last edited:
Its really going to be hard to outsuck Buffalo this year if the Sabres going the way they are. In 10 games so far this year they have 11 goals. That is almost epic goal scoring futility. Even our sad sack crew has 15 goals in 8 games.

Well, as bad as the Sabres are, they still have 2 points more than us, plus they beat us in that one game we played them. So, there is hope... :evilgrin:

I'm not sure what the most inept goals per game average by an NHL team for a full season actually is, but I suspect the early pace that Buffalo has set would challenge whatever that record is. It wasn't uncommon for some teams to average less (sometime much less) than 2 goals a game way way back in day, but Buffalo seems to be capable of of a new level of goal scoring futility. Pretty hard to win games averaging 1 goal a game.

I saw most of the Slugs game last night. They played as if they wanted Pegula to come down from the stands and fire Nolan during the game.

I saw most of the Slugs game last night...

Were you under duress?

A-Clockwork-Orange-1971.jpg

Actually I did find one team in NHL history with a worse goal scoring average than Buffalo currently is sporting. The Chicago Blackhawks only scored 33 goals in 44 games in the 28-29 season (a nice even 0.75 goals per game). I believe that is the worst average goals per game by a team in NHL history (from what I can tell).

I saw most of the Slugs game last night. They played as if they wanted Pegula to come down from the stands and fire Nolan during the game.

I doubt the Slugs make any drastic changes until the summer or late season. They want McDavid, and I think are 100% on board with the tank. Reminds me too much of 2005. New ownership, struggling franchise, franchise player.

I doubt the Slugs make any drastic changes until the summer or late season. They want McDavid, and I think are 100% on board with the tank. Reminds me too much of 2005. New ownership, struggling franchise, franchise player.

If you're going to tank for a full 82 game season with all your hopes riding on one player, then you deserve to pick 2nd overall just so they can lose out on McDavid! Hopefully the Hockey Gods will leave a big bag of flaming shit on Pegula's doorstep...or in this case, Jack Eichel...which is still a pretty good consolation prize!

iOS 8 is a POS.
We can blame the mess on JR but Francis was a big part of the decision making.
How about Muller? He screwed the canes so bad they are beyond redemption. Or how about Mo?
Maybe it's his lingering effect.

Nah, I'm going with peters. And not last years Peters. It was blown in training camp. He had in no way shape or form prepared this woe be gotten group of players prepared for the season. And they still aren't.

I can just imagine the body count in the stands the next few games.
And how about next years season tickets?
I've no solution for their woes.
A new goalie or two? Better defense? How about some secondary scoring? Heck, how about some primary scoring?
Maybe peters will pull a hockey team out of a hat. I'm not hopeful.

Will they win this weekend?

Has the NHL come down on Francis yet for not icing a competitive team and asking how he's going to fix it?

OK. October sucked for the Canes, but it does seem that many of you have the bigger picture firmly in place and that's good. Nobody's going to gut this roster and start from scratch until they have to, and that's becoming billboard apparent. Francis, Rutherford, Karmanos ... whatever. I have zero interest in the blame game and 100% interest in what they do to start building a competitive roster. Apparently the first step was bigger than I thought ... which is realizing that you actually aren't going to be competitive with this collection of mooks. And you're not. Get J Staal back if you want ... won't matter a hill of beans.

Now ... het on with it already. Start with unloading a contract or two.

Apparently the first step was bigger than I thought ... which is realizing that you actually aren't going to be competitive with this collection of mooks. And you're not. Get J Staal back if you want ... won't matter a hill of beans.

Now ... het on with it already. Start with unloading a contract or two.

I think what you meant to say is that the first step was smaller, i.e. that it didn't take very long to realize that this team is going nowhere. Some people thought it would take until Thanksgiving to realize that, others thought it may not happen until Christmas. There were even few highly optimistic ones who thought that this team may hang in there until February or March, and then there were few delusional ones who thought that this was a playoff team. It turns out almost everyone was very wrong, because here we are on October 29th, standing around, watching the casket with the corpse of the 2014/15 season slowly descending into the open grave...

If you're going to tank for a full 82 game season with all your hopes riding on one player, then you deserve to pick 2nd overall just so they can lose out on McDavid! Hopefully the Hockey Gods will leave a big bag of flaming shit on Pegula's doorstep...or in this case, Jack Eichel...which is still a pretty good consolation prize!

I'd love nothing more than to see the Louse finish 29th, like I predicted the Canes would do, and then have the 28th place team win the lotto (would be great if this was the Canes) and bump the Louse to the 3rd overall pick!

Back