• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Los Angeles Kings versus Carolina Hurricanes 11/2/14@5PM

On today's show Adam Gold said that if Semin craps the bed tomorrow, the Canes should put him in waivers.

And then what? Nobody is going to claim him, so what's he proposing as the next step? Send him to Charlotte? Under the Wade Redden rule, we'd still be on the cap hook for $6.075 million ($7 million cap hit - $550K NHL minimum - $375K). What would putting him on waivers do that scratching him didn't?

If you are going to add Semin back in, SOMEONE in the current 'top 9' needs to slide down to play with Dwyer and McClement. If not Skinner, then who? Gerbe? Terry? Boychuk?

I think that answer is obvious. Gerbe's a grinder and that's a grinding line. While he piutches in the odd nice offensive play, Gerbe is nobody's idea of a real scoring line winger ... I hope. And has he played so bloody well as to merit some sort of protected status? Heck no. He's done his job like the good foot soldier he is. So slot him where he belongs. Same as Dwyer.

We get so enamored sometimes with guys who give obvious effort that we forget that grinders grind. It's what they do. What they don't do is get you 30 goals. Guys like Skinner do that ... WHEN YOU GIVE THEM DECENT LINEMATES WITH WHICH TO WORK.

Waivers for Semin would be nothing more than a restate of the obvious....that no other team in the league would be willing to take him and his contract for nothing. Some players actually respond to that (Martin Gelinas for example). I certainly don't see a scenario where Semin ends up playing in Charlotte, that would be kind of insane. This isn't a guy who skills have degraded to a point where he is incapable of playing. He just needs to get his ass in gear and actually work out there like he did when he was playing for a contract and was relentless with his forechecking in the offensive zone, causing havoc all over the place. Remember THAT GUY? He needs to show up again from here on out or this coach is going to sit his ass while Brad Malone goes out there an at least tries....

Last edited:
Meh. I know one issue with Semin is that he's woefully out of shape after spending the summer in Russia doing God knows what ... other than recovering from surgery a lot slower than the Canes Docs thought he would. In that scenario, maybe you waive him to send him to Charlotte to give him a chance to get his self into decent shape ... not so much to play in games. Just get out of Raleigh and hit the gym for awhile. If that's the play, I'd understand it.

Otherwise it's pointless. If benching him doesn't light a fire under his ass, then further embarrassment is unlikely to accomplish anything. Which is one big reason I'd have liked to see Peters make him earn back his first line ice time with a decent hard working game or two in a lesser role.

JB, I don't disagree with Gerbe being a better fit on that grinder line eventually. That is why I think that Skinner won't be out there with McClement and Dwyer for very long (if at all). I look at this as Peters trying to disrupt as few lines as possible after 2wins. If you start to move Gerbe around you break up that Nash line which really has been good for the last 2 games. With this move, in the short term, your 'best' line with Gerbe-Nash-Lindholm stays together and you give Semin a chance to revive that top line magic.

The AHL stays together (for now). Skinner 'pays the price' temporarily, but again, I expect that will only be temporary. Barring injury, eventually that AHL line isn't going to be able to stay together and Peters is going to be tempted to swap some of those guys out instead of Malone.

....edit...actually I just read Chip's comments from Peters and he effectively said what I just posted above...

Last edited:
And then what? Nobody is going to claim him, so what's he proposing as the next step? Send him to Charlotte? Under the Wade Redden rule, we'd still be on the cap hook for $6.075 million ($7 million cap hit - $550K NHL minimum - $375K). What would putting him on waivers do that scratching him didn't?

Well, his train of thought that when he cleared waivers, you send him to Charlotte and hope he doesn't report and then he has breached his contract.

How much better will it be if Semin comes back and plays like he is capable of? That is probably no better than 50-50 at the moment, but my miracle playoff birth has better odds with a 70 point highly productive Semin in the lineup....

I look at this as Peters trying to disrupt as few lines as possible after 2wins. If you start to move Gerbe around you break up that Nash line which really has been good for the last 2 games.

I get that, but it completely discounts the fact that Skinner/Nash/Lindholm was ALREADY an effective line for this team last season. And the fact that Peters was using that line combo in camp. To me bumping your best scoring winger onto a grinding line even temporarily just to protect a line that has worked for a paltry two games is plain old fashioned short sighted.

Plus ... I still can't get over that it always seem to be Skinner who "pays the price" when we shuffle lines around here for some reason or another. I'm sick of it. The kid scores goals and that's how they bloody keep score in this league.

How much better will it be if Semin comes back and plays like he is capable of? That is probably no better than 50-50 at the moment, but my miracle playoff birth has better odds with a 70 point highly productive Semin in the lineup....

I think most people would rather see Semin fail. I really believe that people love having a scapegoat, and he's the best one the Canes have right now. It deflects the blame away from Ward and Staal.

Skinner is the best goal scorer on the team. Shuffling him around to lines full of misfits tells me that Peters doesn't like the kid, or something about his "game and effort level". His career as a Cane will be brief, one way or another.

I want the Canes to win the McDavid sweepstakes as badly as anyone. But not by having key players play like garbage. I want to see entertaining hockey, and effort. If that brings them up short more often, I'm ok with it. But I do not want to wish poor performance on players just to see the team struggle. With the secondary scoring of Tlusty, Rask, Terry, Lindholm, I can't help but wonder what this team would be capable of if Staal, Semin and Skinner were playing up to their full potential and expectations. No way should these guys be competing with the like of Buffalo for "worst".

Last edited:
I take a different attitude toward skinner. He's a puck hog and wants the puck and wants to carry it down the ice and will either lose it or get a shot off. When he's in the offensive zone he wants someone to dig or free up the puck for him.
Thus, Malone and mc clement might be ok. Give him the puck then run a pick to give him some room.

Semin deserves another chance and is not going to get waived. This organization doesn't have the kind of money to waive a contract like Semin.....whatever the reason or motivation is. As many times as Ward has stolen his paycheck over the past couple years he finally looked good for two games. You better get used to seeing Semin be back in the line up. Scratching him was a short term attempt to kick start him and not a long term solution. Plus if you every want to see Eric Staal put up numbers again it will be because Semin is playing better. Those two guys need each other....mainly because Skinner and Eric Staal have NEVER worked together.

I agree that's there is just not enough puck to go around when you put Skinner and Staal on the same line 5-on-5. Both are black holes for the puck.

That's always been the awkward thing about Skinner...can't put him with either Staal, as he doesn't have enough defensive responsibility to handle Jordan's two-way role. Hence, we have a top-six paid/talented player that we can't easily slot into our top six.

Bundle of talent, but just hard for us to slot, which I would rather see solved by moving Eric instead of Jeff. But that's just me.

Watching Semin play (or not play) makes me think he hasn't fully recovered from his surgery. His backhand looks very weak and he has very few wrist shots that have anything on them. Of course, he's got a history of uninspired play, so I may be completely wrong.

I doubt the team management would buy Semin's wrist as an excuse. He's been completely unwilling to do much of anything out there that in any way is productive at either end of the ice. They have been watching his practice and after practice work closely and I assume don't have any physical concerns.

That doesn't mean you are not correct ThinIce, he could still be bothered by weakness due to his surgery or his wrist might still be messed up. They should have kept closer tabs on his (the team controls this to some extent and they could have required him to do supervised rehab work in Raleigh per the CBA). If his wrist is still an issue he best come clean with that to the Canes management now so they can take appropriate actions, considering how much money is still left to pay him.

I think most people would rather see Semin fail. I really believe that people love having a scapegoat, and he's the best one the Canes have right now. It deflects the blame away from Ward and Staal.

Skinner is the best goal scorer on the team. Shuffling him around to lines full of misfits tells me that Peters doesn't like the kid, or something about his "game and effort level". His career as a Cane will be brief, one way or another.

I want the Canes to win the McDavid sweepstakes as badly as anyone. But not by having key players play like garbage. I want to see entertaining hockey, and effort. If that brings them up short more often, I'm ok with it. But I do not want to wish poor performance on players just to see the team struggle. With the secondary scoring of Tlusty, Rask, Terry, Lindholm, I can't help but wonder what this team would be capable of if Staal, Semin and Skinner were playing up to their full potential and expectations. No way should these guys be competing with the like of Buffalo for "worst".

The Canes having the inflated contracts of Semin, E. Staal, J. Staal, Wardo and Skinner in the lineup (this year with this team), reminds me of a guy that owns a double-wide mobile home and his driveway is full of Range Rovers, BMW's and a Rolls Royce. He can barely afford the gas and the insurance...

A. I firmly believe that Semin's wrist is less of an issue than his legs. He has looked slower than Grandma Moses out there this year, which tells me the guy's just full off out of shape. His wrist might be bothering him, but his legs are so bad it hasn't really become an issue ... because he's rarely getting to the puck to do anything with it other than on the power play.

2. I do believe that FANS are comfortable with a scapegoat, but I think you have to remember that management aren't fans. If management thought like fans, you'd hardly have any players on the ice for all the benchings and banishings after a bad loss.

How do you know he smokes? One would think that it would be almost impossible to be a professional athlete and a smoker.

He smokes ... a lot of Russian players do, and have for as long as I can remember. Even back when those Red Army/Soviet National teams were so physically dominant back on the 70s and 80s.

Back