• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes @ Bolts 12/11 7:30

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
The Canes make the first of 2 visits to Tampa this month.

Staal didn't practice yesterday and Peters said he's probable, will take the morning skate but will be a game time decision. Semin is out. J. Staal will take the morning skate in a non-contact jersey. In Staal's absence, Brad Malone centered Skinner and Tlusty. Lindholm was moved to Riley Nash's line. Ward probably gets the start.

The Lightning have lost consecutive games in regulation for only the 2nd time this season. They only have 1 win in their last 4 and have allowed 8 goals in their last 2, so they'll be loaded for bear. Their power play is 3 for their last 22. Stamkos leads the team with 17 goals, tied for 3rd in the league. Tyler Johnson has 21 assists, tied for 6th in the league. Gargantuan Ben Bishop has gotten the most time in goal and carries a 2.31 GAA and a relatively pedestrian .915 Save %.

Cool Bars at the North Raleigh Carolina Ale House. Fox Sports Carolinas for TV.

This game has the makings of another frustrating 40 shot 1 goal effort and another 2-1 loss for the Canes (maybe 3-1 if TB gets an empty netter).

Last edited:
Still waiting to see how the guys play without both Staal and Semin. Let's pretend RF just traded these two for picks. Let's see what a rebuilding roster can muster.

I was actually pondering that this morning. What if RF pulled the trigger and jettisoned the old guard and we went with kids and Checkers the rest of the year? Possible that the team actually plays better and then we lose a primo draft spot? Should we keep the underperformers around for just that reason? I'm half joking, of course....but only half.

Apathy has really set in. That is the worst thing that can happen to the canes organization. Win or lose they are still one kf the worst teams in the league.
The question is why?
Tonight's game should see the bolts use the canes as pylons for a good evenings practice. But, if the bolts get too complacent they could get beat.

I was actually pondering that this morning. What if RF pulled the trigger and jettisoned the old guard and we went with kids and Checkers the rest of the year? Possible that the team actually plays better and then we lose a primo draft spot? Should we keep the underperformers around for just that reason? I'm half joking, of course....but only half.

Who do we expect to be dealt between now and the trade deadline?
Who do we expect to be traded in the offseason?

For the first question.... it seems every season we have a long list of worthy candidates and yet year after year - usually none actually are traded.
But for fun...
Semin
E. Staal
Ward
Tlusty (?? must we really part with him just because he may be the most 'sure' to attract attention and fair offers for? why not keep him, he's still young and keep him in the mix of rebuild parts? I would think that he's shown he's versatile enough and seems pretty durable)
Liles
Gleason
Khudobin

Bagopux, logically if we would like to continue full blown rebuild, then the answer is to keep teeching the kids and let the so called super stars who's last names begin with the letter S... a chance to find their way into the system, game, commitment level from now till before whenever management gets fed up AND/OR finds a would be taker/ right deal comes along.

In other words. Don't hold your breath. I fully expect more frustration as I highly doubt E. Staal would be traded (and personally am beginning to wonder if he HAS been suffering from injury, but something that could be career ending, a la Nathan Horton. Either way... gonna be hard to get fair return on his price tag with his recent production not to mention, he's gotta ok any deal anyway)... Semin? Who's going to take him? Seriously? Like bolt to the KHL buddy and solve the problem for everyone.... is that better than if we buy him out?

Other than that, we seemed pretty well positioned right now for one of the two coveted for the coming 2015 NHL draft..... strangely, I do see improvement in the team, in the coaching, system, player commitment, MUCH BETTER AND LOGICAL USE of assets (a la finally letting some guys like Boychuk get full time jobs and low and behold...)

From the Canes gameday hub, the lines and pairings for tonight's game (assuming Staal plays) are:

Skinner / E. Staal / Tlusty
Gerbe / Nash / Lindholm
Terry / Rask / Boychuk
Malone / McClement / Dwyer

Sekera / Faulk
Liles / Gleason
Hainsey / Jordan

I like that forward mix and this combo has scored some goals (and points) before.

Superstars struggling with their games isolated on their own line, but definitely attracting the other team's best defenders. Gerbe, Nash, and Lindholm is a very dangerous second line. Terry and Boychuk have AHL chemistry and Rask was their center during much of that time...plus Rask is just playing very, very well. And, lastly, a legit fourth line.

Terry/Rask/Boychuk got on a little roll when they were together earlier in the season.

Probably won't watch this one. I'll check in on the score from time to time, but I'm pretty apathetic myself at this point.

I won't be watching either, dinner in Vail tonight and I probaly also will check scores once and a while.
Good luck to the canes

Back