• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Canes Rebuild 2015 - Who's first to be traded and who's left?

For what it's worth, Hockey News has upgraded the Canes from 25th to 19th on their Power Rankings list this week.

19. CAROLINA (25): The Hurricanes are 6-2-1 in 2015 and have been getting some success with Anton Khudobin in goal and Eric Staal playing on the left side alongside his finally healthy brother Jordan. Post all-star break: Two at home, then four on the road, including the usually torturous swing through California.

And so it begins. :sarcasm

ok then I think I'm in the same camp. For the right price, they are valuable (and certainly never were the problem - I was always a proponent of Tlusty even moving forward... until the contract realities, same with Seks).
But if they can't be enticed sooner, then I'd have no problem milking their every worth for a nice deal leading up to the deadline.

Hmmm, what's his contract status, pending ufa? If yes, not sure if that is a good idea. I'd prefer a pick or prospect in return.
Strange, I actually see he, Tlusty fitting in very well with the Caps.

Mike Green and a good prospect - yes
Mike Green and a 2nd or greater pick - yes

Not sure, also possible they need to move Green (sacrifice) to make room for Tlusty? Still, if yes, get something else with him, a prospect or at least a 2nd round pick. Yes.

Mike Green is a UFA after this year. Tlusty for Mike Green straight up would be beyond pointless from the Canes perspective....even a rookie GM isn't going to make a dumb mistake like that. Yet another example of how worthless Eklund is....

Thought Green was signed for another year or so..... Since he is not the move would make no sense and be really stupid. Probably means it will now happen as the Canes haven't shown me any other long term plans that makes sense yet.

Green has been rumored for Detroit and today, Helene Elliott had Justin Faulk as a possible trade target for Detroit.

Based on reading other various threads, I find it interesting the pretty overwhelming support for Peters so far. To me, that is interesting as I think he probably deserves more of an "incomplete" grade. Sure he is benching big name players such as Semin and Skinner, but I am not convinced that is a positive. We can all speculate that the improved play of the grinders and overall team concept (which may be debatable) will translate into wins next year but there is no historical evidence to support that. Strong finishes by bad teams don't statistically mean anything once next year starts.

What we know so far:

- He is making players more accountable and has no problem benching anyone. On the surface that is a good thing.
- The team is playing a more cohesive and identifiable system than at any point over past couple years.
- His defensive results are VERY good, given the questionable talent he has on the defense.

Some potential red flags for me are:

- The teams top stars such as Semin, Eric Staal, and Skinner are tracking toward their worst statistical career years. Why?
- The team has won ZERO games that matter. It is far easier to win some games when you statistically have zero chance of making the playoffs. There is no pressure and teams tend to take you for granted and look past you. The nice January run was good, but it means zilch in the big picture.
- Goalie situation is getting potentially messy. Just when it looked like Cam Ward has regained his game this year he seems to have fallen apart again. Khodobin is likely to get the majority of starts until he falters now. Does Peters know how to manage goalies at NHL level or what is the long term plan here? Hopefully Ronnie is able to make this an easy choice going forward by trading one of them.

I personally feel a little sick when reading articles, such as the recent Luke N&O piece, where management seems to be getting comfortable with where this year is going. Regardless of recent play, this is still one of the worst teams in the league and I am not sure betting on a full year of health from the Staal brothers is a viable long term plan. Peters has coached some very satisfying and entertaining games on the recent hot streak but we need more data on his style and results when the games actually mean anything....and that isn't going to happen until next fall.

Peters is the least of our problems. Other than Staal-Staal-RW du jour and an occasional goal from the 4th line we're getting no production out of our second and third lines. And we're still a Top D pairing away from icing a contending blue line. So it appears we're about 8 players short of a lineup which could make a run in the playoffs. And RF isn't tipping his hand about how he plans to restucture the team. So yeah, still a lot of question marks out there to be answered before next season.

Re. Peters, I'd also give him an "incomplete" grade, and wait until around December 1 2015 to pass judgment on him. Let's see how he handles the worst problem that has plagued this team for years - slow starts. I'd give him a pass on this season's slow start, but the next season he should be fully accountable. If come December 1 of this year we're seeing the same thing we've seen for the past 5-6 years then Peters is just Muller 2.0. If he can fix that, then he's a keeper.

Re. Peters, I'd also give him an "incomplete" grade, and wait until around December 1 2015 to pass judgment on him. Let's see how he handles the worst problem that has plagued this team for years - slow starts. I'd give him a pass on this season's slow start, but the next season he should be fully accountable. If come December 1 of this year we're seeing the same thing we've seen for the past 5-6 years then Peters is just Muller 2.0. If he can fix that, then he's a keeper.

Ich auch. (me too)

This happens all the time. All it proves is hard work is the way to go. Now if only we had talent and depth to go with it. Then we can see what Peters really can do. Hopefully we can make a pretty quick transition and growth for all into that vision. Here's hoping.

I'm tired of the same old routine yet again from this team to improve play just well enough to work your way out of a great drafting position and then holding onto players that could be turned into future young assets just for the sake that management can try and say that the team improved and if it was not for a few key injuries we would have been a playoff team...blah, blah, blah.

Fire sale...sell, sell, sell...stockpile picks and young prospects and quit trying to fool yourselves, this team is going nowhere fast!

On Peters ... honestly, this is the first time since Lavi was here that we're playing identifiable systems in any way. We have a defensive shape, we have a consistent forecheck system and they at least try to play some sort of power play system as well. Gads, they almost look professional most of the time. So, far be it from me to criticize the guy ... he's clear a competent coach. Yea. As to the individual players ... ah, there's the rub innit? It's like Peters has dragged them into the modern NHL kicking and screaming. I get the sense that most of our guys are perfectly content to float around doing their own thing and losing. To me, THAT is the biggest issue that should be addressed going forward, and THAT will require something more than a good start next season. Either this group buys in or you change the group.

I trust that RF is playing out the "let's just see what we have here" phase that has this trade deadline, the off-season, and where we are next December through the 2016 trade deadline to make adjustments in personnel with the "shape up or ship out" credo enforced.

It's definitely going to be a buyer's market for anything less than star pieces this deadline as there is quite the separation between the playoff teams and the non-playoff teams in the East (conference wild card standings)

So, lots of Sellers. like the last 8 in the East at this point. Not so many in the West yet, as things are a bit tighter over there. But those toward the bottom are slowly coming to grip with reality.

How this bunch plays this season (note that we would really have to play well above 0.500 hockey to mess up our draft position in the top six somewhere), and perhaps more importantly, how they begin the next season, will all play into the assessment.

I surely like what we've seen out of Peters so far.

If give Peters an F for his handling of the team.
I did not like the way he handled training camp. He did not skate the players enough and had no power skating. IMHO he handled them too gingerly. His top player didn't produce until his brother came back. His other top player, Semin, hasn't done didly squat all year. Skinner is missing in action. The goalie situation is a mess. All these I lay squarely on his shoulders.

Back