• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Canes Rebuild 2015 - Who's first to be traded and who's left?

I love that Larry Brooks suggestion. Canes want a 1st round pick and a prospect for Sekera so the Rangers could offer a 2nd round pick, a stiff DMan like John Moore (who isn't much better than Bellemore) and a lesser prospect. Wishful thinking Larry, that pile of garbage is not enough. The Canes sure need blueline help and will even more so when Sekera is dealt, but you can keep the non-physical low scoring John Moore's of the league out of any trade offer. We don't need what John Moore brings.

Last edited:
Craig Custance reports teams are reluctant this season to part with their first-round picks in this year’s draft, making second-round picks more valuable in the trade market…The Carolina Hurricanes could try to land a first-round pick for defenseman Andrej Sekera, but Custance suggests it could take packaging Sekera with Jiri Tlusty or Jay McClement to do it. He expects the Hurricanes will eventually get a second-rounder and a prospect for Sekera…

http://spectorshockey.net/blog/nhl-rumor-mill-part-two-february-19-2015/

In the high-stakes media arena of GM-ing, getting a first instead of a second might mean a bit more than it actually means.

After all, what it really means is that one has a bit higher percentage of picking a NHL player, someone that actually makes it to the dance for 100+ games, with a late first-round pick than a late second-round pick.

But, for an asset-poor team like the Canes, to me it's the quality and quantity of much more likely NHL players I'm getting back for the rental than perhaps the pick, as long as the contracts are reasonable and fit my time frame.

So a second and a good serviceable NHL'er and/or prospect-on-the-rise return will be quite fine for Sekera, at least for me. After all, we got him for a second and a salary-dump (McBain's $1.7M), so the asset appreciated if it returns a second and something better than McBain...which is a pretty low bar.

I'm fine with a 2nd round pick for Sekera as long as we are getting legit prospect or an already or on the cusp of being an NHLer who is under 24 years old. If teams want to hold on to their 1st rounder that is fine, but if that is the case then is where you steal yourself a Filip Foreberg. I'm fine with taking a teams 'better prospects from the 2012, 2013 or 2014 draft' if they don't want to trade their 1st round draft pick.

If you want to bring the Rangers into play as an example, if they want to give us a 2nd round pick plus crap like John Moore just to give us the body, then the 'prospect' better be Brady Skjei, Anthony Duclair, Cristoval Nieves or Pavel Buchnevich. I'm sure Brooks is thinking more along the lines of Oscar Lindberg or Danny Kristo, players who have been kicking around in the AHL for a few years and are long shots to ever make much of an NHL impact. Either give up the 1st round pick or make the prospect one of your top 3 prospects. I don't like the idea of it being neither a 1st round pick or a top prospect.

To Esker's point though, Ronnie needs to ensure that SOMETHING of value comes back. I think there will be enough suiters that there will be multiple legit offers for Ronnie to consider. Certainly a 2nd rounder and SOMETHING is the minimum of what the Canes will get. I'm hoping that 'SOMETHING' is more than a long shot prospect/AHL depth prospect. We have PLENTY of those guys filling up the AHL already.

Last edited:
Well, you can only insist on things you must get back up until the trade deadline. If you stick to your guns to too great of an extent, you get nothing--except for some payroll space--when your UFAs depart at the end of the season.

There's Ron's first rounder, if so...and it would be a good one.

EDIT: I also see Boston has Philadelphia's second-rounder from the Boychuk trade, which will be higher than any other contender's second. Nice quality prospect or two to go along with that second and I'd be fine. They have a Russian center (Khokhlachev) that would be interesting...and then there's always Malcolm Subban. :sarcasm

Last edited:
There's Ron's first rounder, if so...and it would be a good one.

EDIT: I also see Boston has Philadelphia's second-rounder from the Boychuk trade, which will be higher than any other contender's second. Nice quality prospect or two to go along with that second and I'd be fine. They have a Russian center (Khokhlachev) that would be interesting...and then there's always Malcolm Subban. :sarcasm

Subban and Boston's early second round pick for Sekera would be a nice trade. Subban is exactly the type of young goalie the Canes crave!

How about Sekera for Chara straight up? Half the sportswriters are telling Boston to dump Chara now 'cause he's slowing down. Lawsy me! Chara at 75% is better than anyone we've got at 100% - or most D-men in the league. I could stand a slower Zedno. But I wouldn't mind having Seidenberg back either.

well, maybe a little tongue-in-cheek here

Last edited:
How's this for a rumor? Pens have inquired about getting Jordan Staal back from the Hurricanes:

The Penguins are interested in reacquiring center Jordan Staal, sources told Trib Total Media.
A move likely would not take place until after the season, though the Penguins have inquired about what it would take to obtain the Carolina Hurricane before the March 2 trade deadline, sources said

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/7825361-74/staal-penguins-center#ixzz3SRan4dE6

Also saw a report that three teams - Duck, Canucks and one other - had inquired about Skinner and that RF had listened, although RF is not actively shopping #53.

Link

Last edited:
Jordan back to Pens? Sure....4 first round draft picks please plus their best Dman prospect.

We've got rights to Jordan for the next ten years. I think that's one piece that JR did right. Seeing him play with his brother on the same team has demonstrated that JS is the true warrior and in many ways the better player. There are not too many bright spots this season, but JS returning from injury and watching him play has been a bright spot. He's just a big, physical player that fights each shift. If we're keeping Staal the Elder, Staal the Younger just makes him better.

Just looking around the horizon, the Canes have no one capable of holding down our 1C role other than Eric or Jordan, with Jordan being the far superior center. And one just does not acquire serviceable 1C talent by trade. It has to be drafted or acquired when raw and developed.

Furthermore, there's no one on the horizon that could fulfill the 1LW role other than Tlusty, who is tradable and unaffordable at desired market price, or Skinner, who has never been a good fit with Jordan Staal.

So, arguably, the two Staal brothers may be our only realistic option for a key forward pairing for the top line. We just need Eric, with reduced responsibility and production, to be playing for a salary more in line with his two brothers. With that pairing, a variety of 1RW's could then be tried, with candidates including Semin or Lindholm for starters.

I can't imagine the value to this team that JR could come up with that would fill the hole that losing Jordan would cause in this team. Witness the first half of this season.

Already seen where management has reassured Jordan that they're just saying "No".

Let's trade Eric Staal for Brandon Sutter, Brian Dumolin and Pittshburgh's 1st overall pick in next year's draft. Yeah. I'd like that.

Dumoulin, Faulk, Fleury, Hannafin, Murphy.... that could be quite something to look forward to as a future defense corps. Shepperded by the likes of Hainsey and maybe bring in some other vet... dream yeah I know.
As for fantasies, go out and get that Brendan Lemieux from Winnipeg somehow, and have him play with Jordan Staal and Elias Lindholm as one of our top two lines... gah. Would hurt to play against that line.
Sorry, I'm bored. Thanks for reading ;)

I don't really think the Canes would trade Jordan Staal, either before the deadline or in the offseason. As Elsker correctly stated, there really is NO ONE in the organization who is remotely close to doing everything that Jordan can do. He is our first line center and is only 26 years old. Considering that Eric's future status at this point is up in the air, trading Jordan Staal, under contract for 8 additional season would be pretty crazy.

Now that said, I'm not sure that Jordan is ever going to live up to that contract, at least not offensively. I know the hope was that unshackled from 3rd line center duties he would blossom offensively and potentially be a 30 goal, 60-70 point center. And maybe paired with Eric on the wing and another solid forward for a full season, he COULD become that player. But I fear that no matter what we do, Jordan is never going to take that next step and will be forever a 15-20 goal, 40-50 point player. If he can bring leadership and dominant defensive game along with those 50 points a year, maybe that is good enough. But I think if Jordan had shown any goal scoring ability at all we wouldn't even need to discuss any possibility that he could be traded. I don't think the Canes will deal him (not at this stage of his Canes career), BUT I think its more likely that it COULD happen than if Jordan had developed into that 30 goal a year center we all dreamed about.

Thus my post about 4 first rounders and the top D prospect. If Pittsburgh wants him back they need to pay a HEAVY price. This is not a guy nearing free agency now. He's a known commodity under contract for 8 more seasons and in his prime and is our best center by a mile. But, I'm of the opinion that if Pittsburgh is willing to go completely over the top and set the Canes up with a treasure box of picks, prospects, etc. I would be willing to trade him back and take our chances. But it needs to be just a crazy pile of assets that cannot be ignored.

If I were RF is sit down with Staal the center and discuss with him what he'd like to do - goto the pens who are a major contender or stay here. Personally being RF I know that the canes will not be a contender for years. And by that time staal will be a yoke in the team just like his big brother is now and at that time I'd be looking to unload him and his contract.
Now is the time to get good pieces for him, players that will benefit the team 4-5 years from now.

4 of 5 years from now this team will either be in Quebec City, Las Vegas or Seattle. This team will not have an owner willing to pour good after bad money for a team that has become the east's Edmonton Oilers or a re-do of the Sabres-- take your pick.

Let's be honest. The long term viability of the team in Carolina requires them to improve on scouting(including drafting) and player development. Say what you will about either of those examples, personally I would much prefer to be positioned with the up and coming talent the Sabres have or even the Oilers (because I think they just haven't brought in the right players to compliment those great draft picks...)

Back