• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2015 NHL Entry Draft

IrishWolfman

With the Central Scouting Midterms being released today, here are Wolfie's Midterms. Just figured I'd post since we're all getting increasingly Draft focused anyway. Up to the Mods whether they want to pin it.

IW RankNameTeamPositionCSS RankISS RankFuture Considerations Rank
1Connor McDavidErie Otters (OHL)Centre111
2Jack EichelBoston University (NCAA)C222
3Dylan StromeErie Otters (OHL)C575
4Noah HanifinBoston College (NCAA)D333
5Mikko RantanenTPS (Finland)RW/C2 (EU)522
6Lawson CrouseKingston Frontenacs (OHL)LW438
7Oliver KylingtonAIK (SHL)D1 (EU)124
8Mitch MarnerLondon Knights (OHL)C796
9Mathew BarzalSeattle Thunderbirds (WHL)C9810
10Zach WerenskiUniversity of Michigan (NCAA)D6611
11Timo MeierHalifax Mooseheads (QMJHL)RW12--
12Pavel ZachaSarnia Sting (OHL)C8117
13Nicholas MerkleyKelowna Rockets (WHL)C131313
14Ivan ProvorovBrandon Wheat Kings (WHL)D101410
15Colin WhiteUSNTDPC271618
16Travis KonecnyOttawa 67s (OHL)C26149
17Brandon CarloTri-City Americans (WHL)D161727
18Dylan SprongCharlottetown Islanders (QMJHL)RW20-15
19Jeremy BraccoUSNTDPRW322017
20Paul BittnerPortland Winterhawks (WHL)LW193029
21Kyle ConnorYoungstown Phantoms (USHL)LW141512
22Jordan GreenwayUSNTDPLW221924
23Evgeny SvechnikovCape Breton Screaming Eagles (QMJHL)LW211820
24Jeremy RoySherbrooke Phoenix (QMJHL)D23-16
25Thomas NovakWaterloo Black Hawks (USHL)C2926-
26Nikita KorostelevSarnia Sting (OHL)RW412321
27Thomas ChabotSaint John Sea Dogs (QMJHL)D1522-
28Jansen HarkinsPrince George Cougars (WHL)C182119
29Jens LookeBrynas (SHL)RW3 (EU)--
30Brock BoeserWaterloo Black Hawks (USHL)RW28-30

Hopefully we get one of the two top centers McDavid or Eichel so that we can try turning them into wingers.

I think we only have 1 pick in the first 2 rounds.

Our 2nd was given away to St. Louis on the Gunnarson deal. I love Nonis.

we're getting Crouse.

book it.

(and cry)
What's the problem with Crouse? Honest question, since besides their stats, I don't know a lot about these kids since I don't follow the CHL.

Also, for those in the know, any thoughts on Dylan Strome's skating ability? I've read that it's one of the worst parts of his game.

Crouse is on pace for 40 goals and has 7 points in 6 games since the world juniors. I don't think he has an elite skill set, but its not hard to see why teams would love a 6'4 220 pound 17 year old that can skate and shoot like that. Those guys are always highly regarded.

The only question about him would be upside. You aren't drafting the next Cam Neely or anything like that if you take him. And he probably shouldn't be a top 5 pick.

What's the problem with Crouse? Honest question, since besides their stats, I don't know a lot about these kids since I don't follow the CHL.

I don't know. I think people are reading too much into the stat line for the kid.

I've seen Crouse a lot and what I see is Dave Andreychuk - who can skate. I see a big body, moves pretty well (great balance), dominates possession, drives the net. Good shot.

If you look at the World Juniors, he saw a lot of defensive and penalty killing minutes and was the best player on a line with two 19 year old first round picks. I really think he's hurt by playing on totally brutal hockey team

Also, for those in the know, any thoughts on Dylan Strome's skating ability? I've read that it's one of the worst parts of his game.

It's not that bad. It's his acceleration, not his edges that are the problem and a lot of scouts just think it's a result of him growing too fast and having to adjust to longer limbs. Some scouts say it's just because the rest of his game is so good that this gets highlighted. Most don't think it'll be a problem.

Eric Staal, in his Peterborough Petes days, was Dylan Strome.

Hey IW – what's your take on Timo Meier? He's rising up the charts and I see you have him at 11.

I really like him, good skill and size combo, but of course he's going to get the questions of how much a product of Ehlers is he.

Timo Meier is a Joffrey Lupul type. A winger built like a fire hydrant. Good on the cycle. Good shot. Is gonna score a lot of his goals from within 10 feet of the net.

I like Crouse quite a bit. Not saying I'd be hell bent on taking him, but he looks like an impact player to me. Much more productive than Kassian in year 2 as well....Kassian had 24g in 61 games, Crouse has 16g in 30 games while being selected to a Gold Medal Winning Team Canada.

Is Crouse 6'4 220? OHL has him listed as 6'3 212. Hockeydb 6'3 203 and Hockey Canada had him at 6'3 200

Not sure about Werenski, but Kylington was putting up better numbers in Sweden's 2nd league than OEL at the same age before he was promoted to the SHL.

Who would you compare Oliver Kylington and Zach Werenski to in the NHL?

I love the way Werenski moves the puck, he's a very smart, heads up defenseman in all three zones. Very efficient with the puck. He's less of a puck carrier, running back-on-skates offensive defenseman like a PK Subban or Noah Hanifin.

If I HAD to compare him to a current defenseman.........someone like Bryan Campbell springs to mind.

Kylington's a similar player, stronger skater, which gives him the edge over Werenski in a the mind of a lot of scouts. I'd say he's probably closer to a Roman Josi-type player.

Back