• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2015 NHL Entry Draft

This is awful, awful logic.
No, I don't think so.

Every prospect is a risk, there's no guarantee with any prospect. Some have a higher risk than the other.

I'm saying I'd rather take a prospect whose ceiling might be a little lower but has managed risk as compared to one who has higher risk, because he's harder to project, but potentially has a slightly higher ceiling.

I'm saying I'd rather take a prospect whose ceiling might be a little lower but has managed risk as compared to one who has higher risk, because he's harder to project, but potentially has a slightly higher ceiling.

I know what you're saying, it's still horrendously awful logic.

After Eichel and McDavid are taken, if the Leafs are drafting 3rd I want them to take Hanafin.

This is a complete rebuild and I like the notion of building from the net out. Take the Stud D man if that's the best value remaining in the draft. If he's taken and we choose 4th/5th and end up with Marner/Strome, well I think we can all live with that as well. However, I'm not taking them over Hanafin with the current rankings.

Nobody is advocating that they draft you.

But between elite players of equal skill, I'll take the Toronto kid.

Equal Skill?

What horseshit.

Under no circumstance will 2 players ever measure out equally, ever.

And under no circumstance should you take the lesser of those 2 prospects because of where he was born.

It's moronic logic.

Equal Skill?

What horseshit.

And under no circumstance should you take the lesser of those 2 prospects because of where he was born.

It's moronic logic.
Wrong!

Ij5mEOc.jpg

Nahh. I bet they've switched jerseys multiple times in their careers just for kicks, and no one's ever noticed.

Equal Skill?

What horseshit.

It's moronic logic.

The logic is in the fact that it's pretty much unknowable to some extent.

How often, in retrospect, does the draft end up in the players being taken in exact order of best to worst? Exactly never.

So you have a list of qualities, good and bad, and you evaluate. Being from Toronto is a good that isn't the one and only factor going into a decision to draft someone.

Right now, everyone is split on whether Strome or Marner will be the better player - even GMs, per Bob McKenzie. So, if it's a total toss up, and where you get size in Strome, but skating in Marner, and so on in differentiating them, a total 50/50, then I would take the one from Toronto, if one was not.

It's a wrongheaded, idiot mistake to think that heart and desire don't go into making a player better. We see it on display every day of the week in the NHL. In fact we see it being commented on daily on these boards in connection with Kessel, with people saying he'd be so much better if he had the heart and the work ethic to be more dedicated to fitness, etc. We saw Lindros refuse to play for the team that drafted him because he had no heart or desire to be in Quebec. The reverse can't be true for someone who wants to play in Toronto? How many more interviews do we need to see where McDavid, Strome, and Marner all call it a dream come true if it happened? Do we see them say that about Edmonton or Arizona or Buffalo?

Here is a new discussion point. Think about these players' prospects at the time they were drafted. Assume that those players would all be eligible for this year's draft. How many of them go in the top 5? at whose expense? where would you rank the rest? (Players in bold were picked first overall)

Ekblad, Reinhart, Draisaitl, Bennett, Kackinnon, Barkov, Drouin, Jones, Yakupov, Murray, Galchenyuk, Reinhart, RNH, Landeskog, Huberdeau, Larsson, Hall, Sequin

Here is a new discussion point. Think about these players' prospects at the time they were drafted. Assume that those players would all be eligible for this year's draft. How many of them go in the top 5? at whose expense? where would you rank the rest? (Players in bold were picked first overall)

Ekblad, Reinhart, Draisaitl, Bennett, Kackinnon, Barkov, Drouin, Jones, Yakupov, Murray, Galchenyuk, Reinhart, RNH, Landeskog, Huberdeau, Larsson, Hall, Sequin

If they were in this draft, and doing our best to leave hindsight out of it?

Ekblad(3rd)
S Reinhart (6th)
Draisaitl (8th)
Bennett (8th)
Mackinnon(6th)
Barkov (6th)
Drouin (6th)
Jones (6th)
Yakupov (6th)
Murray (7th-9th)
Galchenyuk (6th)
M Reinhart (10-12th)
RNH (6th)
Landeskog (7th)
Huberdeau (6th)
Larsson (7th-9th)
Hall (6th)
Seguin (6th)

Basically...the top 2 are firsts in almost any draft ever. The next 3 in this draft class, individually, would all belong in the conversation for #1 overall in just about any other draft. Then it becomes a question of whether or not that player would have been a better prospect than Provorov, Werenski, & Crouse...which is a much weaker group, though I'd say Provorov comes close to making this a "big 6" instead of a big 5 and would be a top 3 pick in almost any other draft.

Last edited:
This reminds me of when Seth Jones fell from potentially being number one to going down to fourth or whatever. Colorado chose to go with Mackinnon even though they needed a D more than anything else.

The question is, was it the best choice.

IMO, Ekblad, MacKinnon, Barkov, Drouin, Jones, Hall, Seguin and probably Yakupov, at the time, are valid options for the top 3-5.

If they were in this draft, and doing our best to leave hindsight out of it?

Ekblad(3rd)
S Reinhart (6th)
Draisaitl (8th)
Bennett (8th)
Mackinnon(6th)
Barkov (6th)
Drouin (6th)
Jones (6th)
Yakupov (6th)
Murray (7th-9th)
Galchenyuk (6th)
M Reinhart (10-12th)
RNH (6th)
Landeskog (7th)
Huberdeau (6th)
Larsson (7th-9th)
Hall (6th)
Seguin (6th)

Basically...the top 5 in this draft class, individually, would all belong in the conversation for #1 overall in just about any other draft. Then it becomes a question of whether or not that player would have been a better prospect than Provorov, Werenski, & Crouse...which is a much weaker group, though I'd say Provorov comes close to making this a "big 6" instead of a big 5 and would be a top 3 pick in almost any other draft.

This is what I was getting at basically. Incredible draft. Amazing to think that a guy like Mackinnon, whom people were salivating over, still probably doesn't make the top 5 this year. Great year to tank.

This is what I was getting at basically. Incredible draft. Amazing to think that a guy like Mackinnon, whom people were salivating over, still probably doesn't make the top 5 this year. Great year to tank.
Funny stat:

MacKinnon scored 75 points in 44 games in his draft year. Connor McDavid registered 76 assists in 47 games this year.

IMO, Ekblad, MacKinnon, Barkov, Drouin, Jones, Hall, Seguin and probably Yakupov, at the time, are valid options for the top 3-5.

I don't see the argument for Mackinnon, Jones, or Yakupov even being in the discussion as better than Hanifin, Strome,or Marner.

What all 3 have done this season is truly stunning out of 17 yr old prospects.

Hall, Seguin, Ekblad, Barkov, & Drouin absolutely do. For the most part, they're quite similar in pre draft quality, to the point that things like positional bias becomes a legitimate discussion point.

Last edited:
Back