• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2015 NHL Entry Draft

Hunter is known for going after the gritty little guys with high skill level though. Thats his MO.

I think thats where it stems from. Not just the fact that he had Marner in London, but why he had Marner in London. Marner is a prototypical Hunter player.

For every Mitch Marner or Max Domi in London, there's been a Corey Perry, Pat Maroon or Phil McRae. "Prototypical Hunter player", I would argue, is an attitude and not a size assessment.

Is Marner a 'gritty' player???

I know he's highly skilled, but I'm very skeptical he's 'gritty'. He's 5'10 but the bigger problem is he has a pretty thin build ... He's no MSL.

Sure, and Marner is that type of player. It is the rep Hunter has garnered for himself and why people would expect Marner to be high on his list.

I've seen him lay a few hits on guys in the games i've watched(not that many).

I'd say he's along the lines of a Nazem Kadri type gritty instead of the Tucker/Peca gritty.

Is Marner a 'gritty' player???

I know he's highly skilled, but I'm very skeptical he's 'gritty'. He's 5'10 but the bigger problem is he has a pretty thin build ... He's no MSL.

Are there any comparables to MSL. He is a freak

This team needs gym rats. Who do we know is a legit gym rat on this team? Rielly?

We need guys that will put in training year round like Stamkos, Tavares. Young guys with excellent work ethic. Everything i;ve read indicates that Marner is that type of person.

St. Louis is 5'6 170. They aren't remotely comparable in size.

Marner is the same size as guys like Kadri, Giroux, Dastyuk, Zetterberg, Crosby. There shouldn't be much of a concern over his size.

A big, point producing centre who's dominant in the face-off circle, is a great teammate, a rink-rat and loves the Leafs.

If we can't get McDavid, let's just take this kid. We've got a lot of recent history with Otters having both Brown and McKegg.

I find it really, really hard to pick between Strome and Marner. I'm leaning Marner at this point but Strome is definitely tempting too.

Finishing fourth seems like a must to me. Worst case scenario we get bumped one spot and have the option of what's left of Hanifan/Marner/Strome. Finishing fifth and getting bumped to 6th would be shitty, IMO.

Big time shitty.

I don't think we have any chance with 11 games left to have Buffalo, Edmonton, or Arizona surpass us.

So we're not doing better than 4th pre-lottery.

I think Columbus has enough of a lead and will win more than us the rest of the way, so they're comfortably ahead.

Only Carolina is flirting, but they've actually been better in the second half, and so I am pretty optimistic they'll finish ahead of us, given they also have games in hand.

So I think it's like 80% right now that we finish 4th.

Big time shitty.

I don't think we have any chance with 11 games left to have Buffalo, Edmonton, or Arizona surpass us.

So we're not doing better than 4th pre-lottery.

I think Columbus has enough of a lead and will win more than us the rest of the way, so they're comfortably ahead.

Only Carolina is flirting, but they've actually been better in the second half, and so I am pretty optimistic they'll finish ahead of us, given they also have games in hand.

So I think it's like 80% right now that we finish 4th.

FWIW, Sports Club Stats has it:

6th - 8%
5th - 25%
4th - 66%
3rd - 1%

A choice of Hanifin/Strome/Marner depending on who goes 3rd. I take it.

For some reason i feel if Marner is there we take him. I have no reason for this other than a gut feeling. I think he'd be loved here. Listening to his interviews and he seems like a guy the fans would like a lot. This city likes the small passionates.

Back