• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2015 NHL Entry Draft

Let's keep in mind, I think Edmonton has two excellent 2nd rounders to play with.

First is their own, and second is Buffalo's 2nd from Montreal in the Petry trade (via the Gorges trade). Those could be 31st and 32nd overall.

That pick is 2016... Montreal traded their own second rounder in the Petry deal.

Then give up.

Guys that we are very high on who are former 3rd rounders include Leipsic, Verhaeghe and Valiev.

A guy who we're even higher on in Brown is a former 6th rounder. Andreas Johnson in the SEL a 7th.

Don't act like these are worthless picks. They quite often pan out well, as a pick is only as good as your scouting anyway.
I literally just gave you the reason why there are good NHLer in late rounds doesn't make the value of those draft picks very high, and you turned around and gave me the excuse which I already explained to you why that makes no sense. Imagine Nashville coming to Toronto and offer their 3rd rounder for Franson "Hey you may draft Andreas Johnson with a 7th rounder! And this is a 3rd! It's high value!" I guess it's impossible for you to understand the idea why a $2 lottery ticket can win you millions in theory but the lottery ticket, at $2, is still very little in value.

You're missing the point and talking nonsense.

Getting a couple of picks like 3rd or 4ths are not next to nothing. Full stop.

We're currently banking on half a dozen guys in our system alone who were picked then or later.

I cannot envision any reality in which it would ever make sense to want a worse draft pick, and a worse shot at first overall.

That makes no sense.

I am saying when you flip consecutive picks you don't get much in return.

You're saying no, it has been done, and it got Atlanta 3rd and 4th rounders!

I said 3rd and 4th rounders = not much in return, exactly what I said, nevertheless it's better than nothing.

And you said "Oh but 3rd and 4th rounder can turn into a NHLer too!"

Bro, you're essentially agreeing with my very initial point - it gets you very little, but it's still better than nothing. :)

Then we disagree on the value of a 3rd and a 4th together. A lot of decent NHL players have been traded for that or less.

You cant really compare the value of moving up year to year with the value of moving from third to second this year?

Why?

Because you have to consider the players involved.

There is a significant gap between Eichel and Hanifin/strome. That talent gap is a lot bigger than the perceived gaps in past years. Who those picks will be is going to effect trade value.

You cant really compare the value of moving up year to year with the value of moving from third to second this year?

Why?

Because you have to consider the players involved.

There is a significant gap between Eichel and Hanifin/strome. That talent gap is a lot bigger than the perceived gaps in past years. Who those picks will be is going to effect trade value.
Unless I'm missing something, I think you're the first person to talk about moving up from 3rd to 2nd.

What's being discussed is the return for trading down from 3rd to 4th.

I cannot envision any reality in which it would ever make sense to want a worse draft pick, and a worse shot at first overall.

I think it comes from us not knowing how the Leafs Big Board breaks down. While he can project that most, if not all, teams will have McDavid at 1 and Eichel at 2, after that the picture becomes less clear.

I can empathize with Leafs fans who would rather see us end up with the franchise centre this year. While, there are no guarantees that Rielly turns into a #1 defenseman, he's two years into his NHL career, he could have still played in the Dub this year and he's probably been our best player in 2015 (not that there's been a lot of competition)

And, while I generally agree that you pick talent over position, I only agree with that when you're picking two players of different talent levels. It wouldn't shock me if as many as half the league's draft boards put Strome ahead of Hanifin when they did their final List before the Draft - that, by the way, is no knock on Hanifin, just a statement of how outstanding Strome's year was from the Ivan Hlinka to performing during McDavid's injury to the OHL scoring title.

When two players are that close on a talent level, go with your biggest need. Our biggest need is a franchise centre.

So, while I take your point, I think it comes from not knowing who we'd pick at 3.

That having been said, our odds of finishing 3rd from the bottom don't necessarily correspond with picking 3rd. There exists the 10.5% chance we pick first, and a more than 50% chance we're bumped down to 4th.

Being as I'd rather this team be guaranteed to pick in the Top 4...................go Oil Change!

I think it comes from us not knowing how the Leafs Big Board breaks down. While he can project that most, if not all, teams will have McDavid at 1 and Eichel at 2, after that the picture becomes less clear.

I can empathize with Leafs fans who would rather see us end up with the franchise centre this year. While, there are no guarantees that Rielly turns into a #1 defenseman, he's two years into his NHL career, he could have still played in the Dub this year and he's probably been our best player in 2015 (not that there's been a lot of competition)

And, while I generally agree that you pick talent over position, I only agree with that when you're picking two players of different talent levels. It wouldn't shock me if as many as half the league's draft boards put Strome ahead of Hanifin when they did their final List before the Draft - that, by the way, is no knock on Hanifin, just a statement of how outstanding Strome's year was from the Ivan Hlinka to performing during McDavid's injury to the OHL scoring title.

When two players are that close on a talent level, go with your biggest need. Our biggest need is a franchise centre.

So, while I take your point, I think it comes from not knowing who we'd pick at 3.

That having been said, our odds of finishing 3rd from the bottom don't necessarily correspond with picking 3rd. There exists the 10.5% chance we pick first, and a more than 50% chance we're bumped down to 4th.

Being as I'd rather this team be guaranteed to pick in the Top 4...................go Oil Change!

who cares about any of this?

they should pick whoever they think is the best player available. it'd be idiotic to pass up on hanifin, if they think he's the bpa, because they have rielly, just like it's idiotic to sit around hoping that they pick lower.

what if they think strome is the best player and they're picking 4th, and the team picking 3rd takes him?

it makes absolutely no sense at all to hope for a worse pick.

@theScore: Connor McDavid compares his game to Tyler Bozak's in a self-evaluation. Yep. http://t.co/cH4VMgNgLH http://t.co/b6nO9TVm5T

hykq2k4.gif

who cares about any of this?

they should pick whoever they think is the best player available. it'd be idiotic to pass up on hanifin, if they think he's the bpa, because they have rielly, just like it's idiotic to sit around hoping that they pick lower.

what if they think strome is the best player and they're picking 4th, and the team picking 3rd takes him?

it makes absolutely no sense at all to hope for a worse pick.

Not saying I agree with it, I'm saying I understand it.

If, on the Leafs' list, Strome is ahead of Hanifin, I expect them to pick Strome should there be a choice between the two. If Hanifin is ahead, I expect them to pick him in the same circumstance.

If Marner is ahead of both of them, he'd be the pick at three.

That having been said, I think if the scouting staff is split between the two players, considering organizational need isn't a bad way to decide.

I don't think that's what he meant 17. Think ME is just alluding to the fact that there has been a lot of good NHL players picked in the 3rd and 4th rounds, hence, they still have good value.

This argument is crazy. The fact that they have potential to be the winning tickets, doesn't make the ticket worth any more.

This year guys like Tyler Kennedy, Zidlicky, James Sheppard, Brewer, Dubnyk were traded fro 3rd or 4th rounders.

3rd and 4th round picks do not have very high trade value. The odds of getting a player that plays 100 NHL games in the 3-4 round is 14-29%, depending on the location of the pick. Why are we all of a sudden pretending like 3rd and 4th round picks are valuable.

Like 17 said, its better to have them than not have them. But thats not a dramatic return.

Would LOF not give up a 3rd and 4th without a second thought to move up from 5 to 4 and get Marner/Strome instead of being left with Hanifin? Would anyone here honestly balk at paying a 3rd and 4th to move up from #4 to #3 and guarantee your guy? I sure as hell wouldn't, if that were the cost to get Marner.

The only reason that Florida/Atlanta deal happened was because Atlanta wasn't going to get Bouwmeester anyway. Not because a 3rd and 4th round pick enticed them to pass on the player they wanted.

Last edited:
Back