• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2015 NHL Entry Draft

Well he's certainly not a Getzlaf-type. He doesn't use his size the same way guys like Spezza and Thornton don't. He uses it (he protects the puck well, and has a long reach, etc.) he just isn't a physical player.

This.

Strome is a big centre in more the Francis/Thornton style than the Lindros/Getzlaf style.

After leaning toward Strome I think I am now fully Team Marner.

Watched a bit of Strome in the playoffs and really don't like that stride. He'll be a damn good player but the fact is he is never going to be a good, above average skater in the show. For that reason alone I think Marner has the higher ceiling.

After leaning toward Strome I think I am now fully Team Marner.

Watched a bit of Strome in the playoffs and really don't like that stride. He'll be a damn good player but the fact is he is never going to be a good, above average skater in the show. For that reason alone I think Marner has the higher ceiling.

Question, did you just watch Strome vs Oshawa or do you have a larger sample size of games that you watched ?

Reason I ask is Oshawa owned Erie in the finals, not even McDavid was doing that well (he was held scoreless a few times). So if you're saying this based on that series a lone, bad call.

Recency bias has a lot of people off the Dylan Strome wagon. I don't like his skating but if his work ethic is what they claim it is than it shouldn't be a problem.

I still think as a comparable player for Dylan Strome i'm thinking Eric Staal. Would anyone really be disappointed drafting the next Eric Staal? Damn good player.

Hell, i still think Eric Staal would be an ideal fit on the Leafs between JVR and Kessel.

Just about every media report, including those out of Erie, has said that Strome's been playing injured since at least Round 2.

Just in the interest of complete information/

Ya was just an observation. The sample size I'm using is small and I don't pretend to be a prospect guru. To me, a bad stride more than any other attribute can put a hard ceiling on a player's potential, and you just can't teach it. If Strome was playing hurt though, I'm back to not knowing which one to choose. In Hunterbas we trust.

Just about every media report, including those out of Erie, has said that Strome's been playing injured since at least Round 2.

Just in the interest of complete information/

Any links to a report about a Strome injury? Just curious, since I haven't been able to find one. Thanks...

I still can't decide which one of Strome or Marner I'd take if the decision was up to me.

Though at this point, I do definitely prefer getting one of them ahead of Hanifin. And that has less to do with the "forward vs. defenseman" factor than it does with me being unconvinced that Hanifin is head and shoulders ahead of other defensemen like Werenski and Provorov, who will be available later in the top-10.

Yeah, why would you ever admit to an injury? Just gives your opponent something to key on in an attempt to try to knock you out of a game. If I was playing against a guy who admitted an ankle injury, you better believe he'd be getting a love tap with my stick every time I thought I could get away with it.

Yeah, why would you ever admit to an injury? Just gives your opponent something to key on in an attempt to try to knock you out of a game. If I was playing against a guy who admitted an ankle injury, you better believe he'd be getting a love tap with my stick every time I thought I could get away with it.

That's a fair point. Guess I'd just like to know sometime before the draft, given that Strome struggled so much in the playoffs. The presence/absence of an injury would inform thinking about the Leafs selecting him at #4, even with the small sample size. Ultimately, if there was no injury, it would be concerning how much the speed impacted his effectiveness. Hopefully, something will come out that clarifies everything.

Maybe he heard how Arizona wanted him and he purposefully played his way out of that third pick. Just maybe

I don't really put much emphasis on a player's struggles if it's a small sample size. Kid has size and great talent.

Small sample sizeeeeeee

The dude scored at a point per game in the playoffs, if that's him struggling then ok lol

It sounds like some of you are just judging him based on the series vs Oshawa. The entire team was bad vs Oshawa. Even McDavid was held pointless.

Watching Marner play he sure is electric on the ice. This guy is a 100km/hr at all times. I have a feeling he will be better faster but Strome might have a longer career. I have nothing to base this on other than a gut feeling.

I feel as though Marner will look like the better player with his skating and effort being more visible. Whereas Strome will be moving slower and less intense looking but still providing the same impact. Tough tough call and with Babcock in the fold it'll be interesting to see how it goes. Maybe Babcock says to draft Hanifin.

Watching Marner play he sure is electric on the ice. This guy is a 100km/hr at all times. I have a feeling he will be better faster but Strome might have a longer career. I have nothing to base this on other than a gut feeling.

I feel as though Marner will look like the better player with his skating and effort being more visible. Whereas Strome will be moving slower and less intense looking but still providing the same impact. Tough tough call and with Babcock in the fold it'll be interesting to see how it goes. Maybe Babcock says to draft Hanifin.

Given the Leafs draft 4th, there is no gurantee that Hanifin is still around at the 4th pick.

Back