• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Franson and Santo to Nashville

I wonder how much of this was Nonis driven. I don't know much of this Liepsic but from the minimal reports i've read he sounds like a decent prospect that could potentially play in the top-9. Late 1st rounder is about what we could've realistically expected for Cody Franson with his play this season. We would've been lucky to get a 3rd rounder after last season.

Hope for a Nashville losing streak.

Getting rid of Kessel and Bozak and our two firsts for mcdavid might not even get Buffalo budging. Its all about the best player right? And I would trade all that for McDavid. Just me. I want a Canadian Sundin plus moving forward

Ya, I'd give up the entire team for McDavid. He's going to win cups and in time you would surround him with the talent to do it.

There is basically nothing that Toronto could offer to get Buffalo to trade the pick (if they win the lottery), though. Unless McDavid refused to play there.

Getting rid of Kessel and Bozak and our two firsts for mcdavid might not even get Buffalo budging. Its all about the best player right? And I would trade all that for McDavid. Just me. I want a Canadian Sundin plus moving forward
We're not going to be able to trade for McDavid. It's just not going to happen. Just like when Brian Burke made loud noises about trading for 1st overall the year John Tavares was available, and nothing came of it (even with Tavares being a less valuable prospect). Teams just don't pass up on the opportunity to draft a franchise center, much less a guy who looks to be a generational talent.

The only way we're getting McDavid is by winning the lottery, same as everybody else. Otherwise, we'll just have to keep our fingers crossed that we can get Strome as a consolation prize.

Be wise to keep in mind that Buffalo's pick has a 20% chance of landing McDavid.

Leafs could have a fairly equal chance by landing another non-playoff pick.

This is why I'm hoping for the Dallas and Phaneuf rumours to be somewhat true. The fact though that they've lost Seguin for four to six weeks makes me think they won't be buyers.

Be wise to keep in mind that Buffalo's pick has a 20% chance of landing McDavid.

Leafs could have a fairly equal chance by landing another non-playoff pick.

Thing is... with Buffalo's pick the consolation prize is Jack Eichel.

Good point Beleafer. What is everyones opinion on Eichel, haven't heard too much here on it. But possibly because of a late arrival? Anyone here think he is comparable to McDavid?

And no one here thinks Buffalo would trade the first overall for Kessel, Bozak and two firsts? No way?

Thing is... with Buffalo's pick the consolation prize is Jack Eichel.
Yeah that's true, and that's why there's just no way BUF trades their pick if they finish 30th. They will walk away with either McDavid or Eichel. Eichel will be a no-brainer 1st overall pick in any ohter year. You can give them the entire team and they won't give you their pick.

As for the Franson trade, I think we did pretty good. Franson by himself would fetch us a late 1st in the best possible case, but more likely a 2nd rounder + a B-grade prospect. Santo by himself would get us a late 2nd in the best case, and more likely B-grade or C-grade prospect. So combined you'd expect a late 1st + a 2nd for Franson and Santo together in the best case, and now we have a late 1st pick and a pretty decent prospect (from the sound of it) ... I think we did better than expected.

I don't know how realistic all these Phaneuf rumours are, but I think it is important for TOR to trade Phaneuf to turn a new page. In fact, I'd say it's a lot more important to trade Phaneuf than to trade Kessel. We still got 2 weeks till the trade deadline, really hoping we can stockpile on picks and quality prospects.

Good point Beleafer. What is everyones opinion on Eichel, haven't heard too much here on it. But possibly because of a late arrival? Anyone here think he is comparable to McDavid?

And no one here thinks Buffalo would trade the first overall for Kessel, Bozak and two firsts? No way?
If the pick was in play, and I'm not saying it is, that would be gross overpayment.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is just kidding themselves.

Well mbow30 said he would trade the entire team. I mean, we are not contending for three to six years anyways, that seems painfully evident. And we could literally finish bottom two or three now anyways. So, Mcdavid could just burn up the AHL or play for us while we have fun next year working on stuff.

I would trade Kessel, Bozak and two firsts for Seguin, that is for sure. But McDavid? I would trade even more, cause he is younger. And supposedly better.

Eichel is definitely the real deal and would be a consensus #1 in many years. Some think he could be a generational talent as well.

Guys like Bozak can be picked up via free agency and a late first is fine and has some value... but that offer really boils down to Kessel who is really good... but carries with him a huge contract and a 3-5ish pick for McDavid or Eichel. If I'm a Buffalo fan I literally cry if they make that trade.

Kessel has really hurt our chances at a big return. This latest snit is quite something. Love to see what level it takes if we trade his video game partner.

This board has gone batty. Grossly undervaluing Kessel. Dafuq?
You're grossly underestimating the value of McDavid.

And grossly overestimating the value of Kessel to a team like the Sabres.

If you were offering Eichel and Kessel for McDavid then yeah... no brainer. If you're offering Marner and Kessel for McDavid... not so much.

Kessel is almost a decade older and much more difficult for buffalo to build a team around, an 18 year old star center is the most sought after piece in hockey.

You're grossly underestimating the value of McDavid.

And grossly overestimating the value of Kessel to a team like the Sabres.

If you were offering Eichel and Kessel for McDavid then yeah... no brainer. If you're offering Marner and Kessel for McDavid... not so much.
My opinion vastly differs from yours here

It really sucks that on a team with no heart and which is toxic to its core that we have to trade some of the only peace's which have heart and passion. Understandable. Good trade.

Back