• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Hurricanes Trades: speculation has ended and pieces are moving.

SlapShots

Bob McKenzie reporting via Twitter that Tlusty has been traded to Winnipeg... No details yet

Given the length of the last thread and all the speculation, thought a new thread might be in order.

Re: The Trades: speculation has ended and pieces are moving

Canes app alert says its for 2 draft picks.

Re: The Trades: speculation has ended and pieces are moving

Yes, just announced. Canes get a 3rd round selection in the 2016 draft and either a 5th or 6th pick (depending if the Jets quality for the playoffs) in the 2015 draft. Really?

Re: The Trades: speculation has ended and pieces are moving. Tlusty Traded

Considering how unlikely it is for a 3rd rounder or 5th rounder to do much of anything in the NHL, we basically gave Winnipeg Tlusty for just about nothing (we save some money the rest of the year). Heck we got former first round pick Greg Nemisz from Calgary for Kevin Westgarth and he was leading our AHL affiliate in scoring before getting hurt.

Last edited:
Re: Canes Rebuild 2015 - Who's first to be traded and who's left?

Tlusty to Jets for next year's 3rd and conditional 5th or 6th this year.

Good that we did not have to take back a player or salary. Given Maurice "brought" Tlusty to us, not surprised to see him go back to Mo. Would have preferred to see the 3rd in this draft, but we'll see how that plays out.

Considering how unlikely it is for a 3rd rounder or 5th rounder to do much of anything in the NHL, we basically gave Winnipeg Tlusty for just about nothing (we save some money the rest of the year). Heck we got former first round pick Greg Nimitz from Calgary for Kevin Westgarth and he was leading our AHL affiliate in scoring before getting hurt.
Well, I'm ok getting 2 definite assets instead of letting him walk for nothing at seasons end.

Yes, when option #2 is letting him walk for nothing, a 3rd and a 5th is SOMETHING....but this was a 1st round draft pick in it's origins, and Francis just got cornholed.

JEEZUS! I HOPE RF CAN NEGOTIATE BETTER THAN THAT ELSE WE GONNA BE TOAST FOR YEARS TO COME!!! HE JUST GAVE TLUSTY AWAY!

Just saw a tweet that Tlusty is open to coming back to the Canes if he fits in their plans.

JEEZUS! I HOPE RF CAN NEGOTIATE BETTER THAN THAT ELSE WE GONNA BE TOAST FOR YEARS TO COME!!! HE JUST GAVE TLUSTY AWAY!

At least we didn't have to eat any more of Jay Harrison's salary.

Yes, when option #2 is letting him walk for nothing, a 3rd and a 5th is SOMETHING....but this was a 1st round draft pick in it's origins, and Francis just got cornholed.
You really think a UFA Tlusty is worth a first round pick?

The Leafs just got a 2d and a 4th for Winnick. The Panthers also got a 3rd for Bergenheim. Tlusty is a better asset than either of those. So the return on Tlusty seems low. However, the Winnick deal was with the Pens, and we all know JR's penchant for overpaying. Nevertheless, disappointed.

Tlusty has been a pretty unimpressive player for an unimpressive team this season.

You really think a UFA Tlusty is worth a first round pick?

Tlusty came in straight up for Paradis, a 1st rounder originally.

I do think that he should have been worth a late second round pick from a team making the playoffs, though, so yeah, I'm not impressed.

and they ate half of Winnick's salary. But still, seems like we didn't get enough.

I don't see how it matters where he was originally picked, or what the guy we traded for him was picked. Paradis is also out of the NHL right, so what's he worth? Maybe we should sign him and trade him - he was a first rounder!

Tlusty off the roster weakens our team and helps our draft pick perhaps, and net's us one or two picks - this is what rebuilding looks like.

and they ate half of Winnick's salary. But still, seems like we didn't get enough.

Francis got fleeced! This org is being driven off a cliff! So dumb that the Canes could not even secure a decent pick in this draft! What a bunch of fools! You simply cannot fix stupid!!!

Back