• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Trade Deadline Has Passed-Where Do The Canes Go From Here?

I just saw a list of goalies that are on the trade block...

Cam Talbot
Robin Lehner/Craig Anderson
Kari Lehtonen
Jonas Hiller
Eddie Lack/Markstrom

and possibles

Jon Gibson
Martin Jones

ain't.no.way.we.trade.ours.

I just saw a list of goalies that are on the trade block...

Cam Talbot
Robin Lehner/Craig Anderson
Kari Lehtonen
Jonas Hiller
Eddie Lack/Markstrom

and possibles

Jon Gibson
Martin Jones

ain't.no.way.we.trade.ours.

Seeing as he's pending UFA (contract year)... I don't think it ever was in the plan or possible to trade Cam in the offseason. I expect Cam especially to be moved leading up to or on the trade deadline. Always said I'd be ok if we kept him, seeing as he's apparently had improvements with his back issues.

Seeing as he's pending UFA (contract year)... I don't think it ever was in the plan or possible to trade Cam in the offseason. I expect Cam especially to be moved leading up to or on the trade deadline. Always said I'd be ok if we kept him, seeing as he's apparently had improvements with his back issues.
I suppose that could happen if most of those goalies listed above are moved and signed to new contracts but I wouldn't bet on that. He may fade away.

Bleacher report: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...nvert-quantity-into-quality-in-2015-nhl-draft

Here's the first two paragraphs:

"The Carolina Hurricanes currently hold 10 picks in this weekend's 2015 NHL draft, the most selections they've owned in a single draft since 1998.

If the team's drafting trends of the 17 years since then hold true once again, however, that mass of picks will soon begin to fade slowly into a mediocre collection of lifetime AHL players and forgotten prospects."

Will we break this pitiful track record in the Francis era?

Bleacher report: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...nvert-quantity-into-quality-in-2015-nhl-draft

Here's the first two paragraphs:

"The Carolina Hurricanes currently hold 10 picks in this weekend's 2015 NHL draft, the most selections they've owned in a single draft since 1998.

If the team's drafting trends of the 17 years since then hold true once again, however, that mass of picks will soon begin to fade slowly into a mediocre collection of lifetime AHL players and forgotten prospects."

Will we break this pitiful track record in the Francis era?

Not until we get more and better scouts.

I did a random look-see of scouting departments across the league once and the Hurricanes had the smallest unit/department from what I saw. I have no ideahow RF can say he's trying to make the Canes drafting like the Red Winggs, when we have a handful of guys to cover colleges and multiple leagues across two continents.

I did a random look-see of scouting departments across the league once and the Hurricanes had the smallest unit/department from what I saw. I have no ideahow RF can say he's trying to make the Canes drafting like the Red Winggs, when we have a handful of guys to cover colleges and multiple leagues across two continents.

Yeah, I looked a while ago. I think the Red Wings have a bigger European scouting staff then our entire amateur, professional and European staff combined.

Here's the thing with the scouting staff. When we had some success in the draft back in the 90s, we maximized the impact our small group of amateur scouts had by focusing on a smaller slice of the pie. We spent a lot of our manpower resources in western Canada and Ontario with a minor focus on US colleges. Did we lose out on some potential Euro and Quebec kids? sure. But we just don't have the bodies to cover everything.

The Wings? Look at their draft history and you'll find that even with their resources, they do the same thing. They mine the living crap out of Europe and the US college crop. Sure, they take other kids from time to time, but it's clearly a focus issue for them. If THAT's what Ronnie is talking about, fine with me. I do think we need to get back to a draft gameplan that calls out specific player traits and specific regional sources.

Mining geographic territory not covered by other teams is a good strategy for a team that is a perennial playoff team like Detroit.

By the time they pick, presumably a good portion of the OHL and WHL league boys are gone. So, competitive advantage to have some of their earlier picks made from a labor pool that will go untapped by many teams.

Plus, if they guess wrong on drafted talent, they can easily plug holes from the UFA ranks with their "join us in the playoffs" recruiting angle.

As for the Canes...yep, good 'ole Ontario boys rule with some WHL thrown in there from scouts that live near those teams. And, JR liked to have his drafted D-men trained in the college ranks before he started to pay them.

And, JR liked to have his drafted D-men trained in the college ranks before he started to pay them.

That was the part of the strategy that bit us in the butt repeatedly. Jimmy loved that approach, but at the end of the day it really only worked with Faulk and to a lesser extent Tanabe. People are rightly shy of Russian d-men because of Kynzev, but we blew it on so danged many college D that I'm honestly surprised that there isn't more complaining when we take another one.

Sucked

Honestly, I think that has to be the absolute worse about the NHL entry draft. Is when a player is a bust. I don't mean Doug Wickenheiser's either. I'm talking high draft picks who don't end up with a steady career in the NHL. A whole lot of nothing. Sometimes it could be due to injury, but when it seems to be lack of focus, determination, effort or whatever... just sucks. I mean, JR drafted him at 22nd overall. He didn't have to be OUR bust, but at 22nd overal, can you really blame JR? He would likely have sucked for another org too....
Would be awesome if 5 of the 10 picks make it to the NHL. We'll probably get 2, maybe 3 if lucky.

Speaking of scouting and drafting...yes, the team should invest in scouting undrafted players too. How is it that all these teams are able to find 'diamonds in the rough' from the pile of undrafted players?

Speaking of scouting and drafting...yes, the team should invest in scouting undrafted players too. How is it that all these teams are able to find 'diamonds in the rough' from the pile of undrafted players?

We dabble in those as well.... LaRose (+), Welsh (-), Tolchinsky (?).. probably others?

Here's the thing with the scouting staff. When we had some success in the draft back in the 90s, we maximized the impact our small group of amateur scouts had by focusing on a smaller slice of the pie. We spent a lot of our manpower resources in western Canada and Ontario with a minor focus on US colleges. Did we lose out on some potential Euro and Quebec kids? sure. But we just don't have the bodies to cover everything.

The Wings? Look at their draft history and you'll find that even with their resources, they do the same thing. They mine the living crap out of Europe and the US college crop. Sure, they take other kids from time to time, but it's clearly a focus issue for them. If THAT's what Ronnie is talking about, fine with me. I do think we need to get back to a draft gameplan that calls out specific player traits and specific regional sources.

Given efforts towards league parity and the small pool from which to draw NHL caliber players-- espcially as the league is seeking expansion-- reinforces the need for good drafting, which is directly related to good scouting. I think St. Louis under Jarmo Kekaleinan was just excellent at finding talent. The emphasis for JR was to always win now as cheaply as possible. The strategy and execution just sucked.

Sucked

Let's face it. Rutherford just didn't have a clue how to draft D. He got lucky with Faulk, Wallin and Tanabe and got what he deserved with all the rest.

And Wallin was 25 and had a long career in Sweden before he was drafted.

Back