• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Trade Deadline Has Passed-Where Do The Canes Go From Here?

I don't want Cole here for another reason and that would be the locker room effect. This just reeks of "get the gang back together" mentality that has screwed over this franchise in the past. The Canes need to rebuild around new blood and Cole reunited with Staal in the locker room is not my kind of rebuild.

The other thing I'm considering based on precedent is that he's prone to long stretches without being productive, another also who iirc has a case of the, 'takes 20-30 games before he starts rounding into season form..'
no thanks.
Whereas a young, ready, capable and eager power forward might actually light a fire under those two butts. And no, Skinner has mad skills but evidently, another in a long list of players not able to gel with E. Staal, outside of his bro. Who knows...
But 1-2 mil, 1 year, serviceable on the 3rd line - no higher? But as has been said, we tend to overslot guys. I'd rather we break from that and draft and develop what we have into what we need or can use

Will admit that i'm surprised with Cole's 18 goals this year but at 36, he's gonna hit the Brindamour "cliff" and with all the hard miles he has on that frame, it's gonna be a precipitous fall. Good for him this year though. A freaking wonder the guy every laced up again after that broken neck.

An opposing fan's opinion on the Canes:

1) Semin - worst contract in hockey at this point. You're stuck with him for another 3 years @ $7M. Considering the Canes do not look like they'll be contenders in the next two years I would eat 50% of his salary and move him. There are three options on Semin, not two. You can play him, you can buy him out and have ~$2.35M ($14M total) count against your cap for the next six years or you can trade him and eat the 50% ($10.5M total) for 3 years.. The move is to eat the salary. Considering the rebuild window, you want the contract done in three years. I believe the Canes will find a buyer for Semin @ $3.5M.

2) Offense - after E. Staal and Skinner you guys are anemic. Believe me I recognize this as the Habs are too. The difference is the Habs play defense. You have a lot of money tied up in the Staals when one is really not very offensive. I would try and move Eric Staal at the draft for a high pick and prospects. It'll be difficult due to the $9.5M cap hit but it is only for a year. If he can't be moved he needs help. Lots of it. Looking at the roster I just don't see where the help is going to come from. You guys have at least another year of misery until some of these contracts are up.

3) Defense - it's ugly. Faulk is a keeper and then it just drops like a stone. The Cane's propensity to acquire ex-Leafs needs to stop. Liles is bad. Hainsey is overpaid as he should be a third pairing D. The rest of the kids need insulating with at least a veteran top pair and a veteran #3. There are a few on the UFA market this summer that are interesting. I hope that Francis is smart enough to stay away from Mike Green. A few I would look at are: Christian Ehrhoff, Johnny Oduya, Johnny Boychuk and Z. Michalek.

4) Goaltending - Cam Ward will be a difficult move. As far as I've heard, San Jose and Edmonton will be in the market for a goalie so it might not be impossible, just difficult. Should Ronnie acquire a solid defense, Cam might have a bounce back year. He is no longer equipped to carry a team on his back though.

I don't know what Rutherford did to your roster but it needs a tear down of several players. It needs 2-3 solid bottom six veterans to allow the kids to grow. Right now you are running the risk of ruining prospects like Edmonton has done. You simply cannot throw kids to the fire like the Oilers do. They need insulating and who is doing that on the Canes right now? Liles? Gerbe? Semin? The Staals can't do it all. Hainsey is a character guy so he should help but man, that is a rough roster. I feel for you guys, you've got a while to go before returning to competitiveness.

Ouch.

Truth hurts.

EDIT: Although I'm not as pessimistic on the repair timeline. After all, it's only the Metro.

Last edited:
1) Semin - worst contract in hockey at this point. You're stuck with him for another 3 years @ $7M. Considering the Canes do not look like they'll be contenders in the next two years I would eat 50% of his salary and move him. There are three options on Semin, not two. You can play him, you can buy him out and have ~$2.35M ($14M total) count against your cap for the next six years or you can trade him and eat the 50% ($10.5M total) for 3 years.. The move is to eat the salary. Considering the rebuild window, you want the contract done in three years. I believe the Canes will find a buyer for Semin @ $3.5M.

Reportedly RF went looking for a trade partner for Semin at the deadline-- offering to keep up to half his salary if the right piece(s) came back. I suspect he may try again at the draft/this summer, but we'll see. I suspect that the Semin contract is the most toxic and we'll have to eat it.

No doubt JR is hoping his Carolina legacy will be bringing hockey to this market and winning a Stanley Cup. However, his legacy is the dreck he left behind and how he undid his good work. He was like an athlete who didn't know when it was time to retire. He stripped Rod Brind'Amour of his "C" and forced him to retire. Too bad our ownership didn't force the same from JR.

No doubt JR is hoping his Carolina legacy will be bringing hockey to this market and winning a Stanley Cup. However, his legacy is the dreck he left behind and how he undid his good work. He was like an athlete who didn't know when it was time to retire. He stripped Rod Brind'Amour of his "C" and forced him to retire. Too bad our ownership didn't force the same from JR.

They actually did. It was just 3-4 years too late.

Canes are 15th in NHL in goals against. 28th in goals for. But I guess someone is going to tell me those numbers still prove the defense is horrible?

Canes are 15th in NHL in goals against. 28th in goals for. But I guess someone is going to tell me those numbers still prove the defense is horrible?

OK I will. It's like saying your hoops team doesn't run enough when you don't have any rebounders. It all starts with the back line getting their part of the job done.

And to be clear, that's not to say scoring isn't a problem too. But I'm of the school that says winning starts with solid D.

Last edited:
So you are only happy if defense is in top 5 goals allowed? Top 10? Just wondering.

I think #15 is way better than recent years. Of course that number could go down in the last month of the season.

You don't get it do you, it's not one or the other it's both. If you're only 28th in goals for then your 15th ranked D isn't good enough. Habs are 25th in goals for but #1 in goals against. If you're going to have an anemic offense then yes, you need a top five D. Considering your salary structure, your D is easier to repair than your offense.

Now if you trade Jordan Staal and Semin then that could change.

As for trading Semin at deadline, requesting "the right return" will not get him traded. You need to dump him regardless of return. He's a negative asset.

Thank you Habsy for telling me that brilliant stuff!! Here I was thinking that D and O had zero relationship to one another!!

Did it take you 99,900 posts to figure that out?

You need to get laid. Then again with that attitude I can see why that is...

Do you even watch them play? If your eyes aren't telling you this team sucks on D, then I just don't know ....

How does a horrible defense rank 15th? Magic? Jedi Mind tricks? Are they putting 3 people in goal at the same time?

I never said they were excellent. I said they were AVERAGE.

An opposing fan's opinion on the Canes:

2) Offense - after E. Staal and Skinner you guys are anemic. Believe me I recognize this as the Habs are too. The difference is the Habs play defense. You have a lot of money tied up in the Staals when one is really not very offensive. I would try and move Eric Staal at the draft for a high pick and prospects. It'll be difficult due to the $9.5M cap hit but it is only for a year. If he can't be moved he needs help. Lots of it. Looking at the roster I just don't see where the help is going to come from. You guys have at least another year of misery until some of these contracts are up.

3) Defense - it's ugly. Faulk is a keeper and then it just drops like a stone. The Cane's propensity to acquire ex-Leafs needs to stop. Liles is bad. Hainsey is overpaid as he should be a third pairing D. The rest of the kids need insulating with at least a veteran top pair and a veteran #3. There are a few on the UFA market this summer that are interesting. I hope that Francis is smart enough to stay away from Mike Green. A few I would look at are: Christian Ehrhoff, Johnny Oduya, Johnny Boychuk and Z. Michalek.

4) Goaltending - Cam Ward will be a difficult move. As far as I've heard, San Jose and Edmonton will be in the market for a goalie so it might not be impossible, just difficult. Should Ronnie acquire a solid defense, Cam might have a bounce back year. He is no longer equipped to carry a team on his back though.

I don't know what Rutherford did to your roster but it needs a tear down of several players. It needs 2-3 solid bottom six veterans to allow the kids to grow. Right now you are running the risk of ruining prospects like Edmonton has done. You simply cannot throw kids to the fire like the Oilers do. They need insulating and who is doing that on the Canes right now? Liles? Gerbe? Semin? The Staals can't do it all. Hainsey is a character guy so he should help but man, that is a rough roster. I feel for you guys, you've got a while to go before returning to competitiveness.

Well said Habsy, alot of great talking points in your post.

1) The biggest issue with Semin might be his attitude and the fact that he is not really the type of personality many teams want in the dressing room of a winning club. I agree that at $3.5 million a season with the Canes eating half that Semin is a bargain on the ice, but his off ice baggage might be the part that most teams pass on.

2) Moving E. Staal at the draft is the best time to make a deal, but I'm not sure the Canes would be willing to pull the trigger. The one guy out there that really would be a nice addition in a trade for Eric would be Ryan O'Reilly from the Av's...he is a solid two way center that plays the game the right way. Some would say he is too much like Jordan, but you have to get a solid center coming back in a trade for Eric that could play here for years to come and O'Reilly fits the bill nicely.

3) You try and fix the defense by at the very least going out and signing a UFA like Johnny Boychuk to play tough minutes and support Faulk on a top pairing. Then try to make a similar deal like the Isles made for Nick Leddy in finding a team that is up against the cap and may be willing to trade a defenseman for a couple of picks.

4) Cam has had a nice bounceback year, but I just dont see him signing an extension here, so decisions have to be made this summer long term about the goaltending situation. Ottawa might have 3 NHL quality goaltenders now and may be willing to move a guy like Lehner...or you could go young with Raanta from Chicago or ask Boston about Malcolm Subban.

The one thing that also hangs in the balance is what the Kings do the last 18 games to try and make the playoffs to give the Canes two first round picks this summer. It would really suck to have to wait on that LA first rounder until 2016.

I would still be very surprised if the Canes elect to move Eric Staal. Certainly a trade of Eric Staal would trigger what amounts to a major overhaul of the team, which as we have argued for a few season now might be what is necessary to really turn this cycle of losing around. But as dangerous and misguided as it might be to put any stock at all on this teams win-loss situation since Jordan Staal returned, I think it would be very difficult for Ronnie F. to ignore.

The way I see 2015-16, the expectation and plan is going to be to put together a team that will be expected to continue what this team has done since the calendar flipped to 2015. I fully expect that Ronnie is going think about what a trade of Eric Staal would mean, and realize that while the assets/prospects/players coming back would be a nice package, the subraction of our top scorer from the current mix might disrupt the 2015 success and add too much uncertainty to the roster next year and limit our ability to compete. While the overall plan will continue to be to build a solid foundation for success in a 1-3 year timeframe, I don't expect the Canes to be willing to go into full rebuild mode and jeopardize any playoff hopes this team might have next year. Trading your leading scorer and most popular player is a tough sell, even if it helps build the winning foundation.

All of that is debatable of course, but I don't think Ronnie is going to see trading Eric Staal in the offseason as the right play here. I fully expect that he will continue to try to build off of the Staal brother core and improve the rest of the team. Part of that will be giving Eric Staal a 6-8 year extension, but for less money than he is making now ($7-8 million per). I just don't see Ronnie pulling the trigger on trading our top scorer and captain unless Eric for some reason forces his hand and demands some outrageous salary that he doesn't deserve.

I agree on Semin, probably best to move on in any way possible, but I'm still betting that he makes that decision harder by looking like an all star over the final meaningless games. Maybe that makes him easier to trade, but maybe it causes Ronnie to pause and think about whether or not the dead money would be worth it if Semin actually shows he can play well for a stretch here. Could go either way I think.

The D of course will be addressed in some way. I sense from Ronnie that he will be looking to leverage these picks we have into Defense help in some way. Certainly we have some solid and legit prospects in juniors now, something we have been lacking for years. But they are at least 2-4 years away from helping the NHL club. As suggested above, we should be looking to take advantage of teams in difficult cap situations to try to acquire their D talent.

And Cam and Khudobin....that's a tough one to predict. Something needs to happen there of course, but there are so many possibilities and options that its hard to call. Unfortunately Khudobin has gone from a guy who looked like he was in the fringe of maybe being an NHL #1 goalie or at least a #1B to now being a somewhat pricey backup goalie. That's going to make him harder to trade should the Canes want to go that route. Cam is moveable I expect in the offseason if the Canes are willing to eat some of his final season salary. But again, if you are thinking that this team is going to fight for a playoff spot next year, and you trade Cam Ward in the offseason, who exactly are you going to have in goal backstopping this team next year?

I think we all exited December thinking that 2015-16 would likely end up a bridge season where a rebuild gets underway and the playoffs in 15-16 would be an unexpected miracle and the team would be set up to start to win again in 16-17. But then the team seemed to get it figured out under Peters and the new coaching staff. They are 15-9-3 since the start of the calendar year (100 point pace). And while I know that a lot of us cringe at the idea that we are simply going to repeat the cycle of keeping the core and tweaking things and setting up for failure, I think that Ronnie at this point knows that this team really cannot flush another season next year and needs to try to make the playoffs. I expect him to improve the blueline significantly (hard not to considering where it is right now), possibly get rid of Semin, re-sign Eric Staal, and wait until the season is underway to let things play out and decide how to tackle the goalie situation. I'm fully expecting Cam Ward and Eric Staal to be on the ice opening night for the Canes next year. Is that the 'right' thing to do? Absolutely debatable. But that is my prediction. We will of course spend the next 4 months debating what should be done and debating what is actually done.

I didn't mention the draft lottery at all. If the Canes luck into the first overall pick then I would be absolutely willing to bet that Eric Staal absolutely will be re-signed, almost no doubt in my mind. That would immediately change everything about Ronnie's approach. I actually have a different opinion on tha LA pick. While I would prefer LA make the playoffs so we can get that pick this year (and either make it or trade it for D help), it would be real interesting if that pick slides to 2016, especially if LA manages to miss the playoffs next year too. If all of that happens, that first round pick gives us 3 shots to jump up to 1st, 2nd, or 3rd overall in the 2016 draft. That would be interesting and exciting.......

Last edited:
I didn't mention the draft lottery at all. If the Canes luck into the first overall pick then I would be absolutely willing to bet that Eric Staal absolutely will be re-signed, almost no doubt in my mind. That would immediately change everything about Ronnie's approach. I actually have a different opinion on tha LA pick. While I would prefer LA make the playoffs so we can get that pick this year (and either make it or trade it for D help), it would be real interesting if that pick slides to 2016, especially if LA manages to miss the playoffs next year too. If all of that happens, that first round pick gives us 3 shots to jump up to 1st, 2nd, or 3rd overall in the 2016 draft. That would be interesting and exciting.......

I think it would be just the opposite. If we win the lottery, I think RF's bargaining position with ES12 increases dramatically. You can offer to sign him at a much lower salary, or tell him to get lost. Of course, you'd have to do it nicely so that he'll waive his NMC. I'd much rather have JS11 or McClement as McDavid's guide to being a pro.

On the LA front, I wonder if Ronnie tried to get LA to agree to give us their 1st rounder so long as LA didn't win the lottery? I'd like to think that he was creative enough to float that. At this rate, LA might squeak in and lose in the 1st round, which would be great. But their lack of progress is making me a little nervous that they might not make it at all. If they do get in, their likely 1st round match up is the Preds, Duck or 'Nucks.

Back