• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

ACC and then NCAA Tourney Talk

Paulie Walnuts

The mighty ACC has really fallen. $10 seats and the building is mostly empty even with the curtain.

At least now you get 2 Les Robinson Invitational games! (newbies will have to google that )

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Greensboro Curtain is back!

Yeah, maybe they should make the regular season mean somthing. Like only the Top 8 teams go to the tourney.

It can help bubble teams. And some teams can get a better NCAA seed. But it's really just a way to make extra cash for the ACC these days.

They normally have 3 games on day 1 but since Syracuse bowed out they only played 2 today.

The mighty ACC has really fallen. $10 seats and the building is mostly empty even with the curtain.

At least now you get 2 Les Robinson Invitational games! (newbies will have to google that )

I'm no ACC apologist (I'm an SEC alum), but didn't they have nearly 10,000 people on a Tuesday afternoon for a play in games in a conference that's now 15 teams???

I'm no ACC apologist (I'm an SEC alum), but didn't they have nearly 10,000 people on a Tuesday afternoon for a play in games in a conference that's now 15 teams???

Yeah. That was the official attendance, but we all know about how accurate those generally are. I was there for the first game ... it was more like 6,500 for Ga Tech/BC. Can't speak to the Wake game, but a lot of Wake fans were pouring in as we left.

And for the record, that's pretty standard for what amount to play-in games in the power conference tournaments that span 5 days. Sure it's a far cry from the "good old days" but remember that those days featured only 8 conference teams and a 3-day tournament. If you boil this current setup down to three days and 8 teams, it'll will look much the same as it used to ... at least in Greensboro. I'll admit that I have absolutely zero idea what we'll see in Brooklyn in 2017 and 18. Verizon Center in DC gets to host in 2016 and I figure that will sell well, as it has done in past years. God only knows about Brooklyn, although I'm looking forward to it personally. I mean, it's an excuse to catch up with friends who live in Brooklyn and the West Village if nothing else ... and to eat myself into a food coma, of course.

I'll post an update from today's night session at some point, but with Duke and State involved, the numbers should be pretty good. And Carolina's hordes will boost the afternoon session.

Last edited:

Unfortunately, it's all about the TV and very little about the rivalries these days. Think about teams playing on TUESDAY, some of which will depart before the higher ranked teams even show up. Sad.

Have a good time at the first night game JB?

Go Pack!!!

Yeah ... State cruised more or less, so that was good. Sorry for the mis-type on Duke. Meant to say that the two evening sessions would be bolstered by Duke and State ... not just Wednesday's. And State fans did show up last night. I'd say the "real" attendance was in the 13,000-14,000 range.

And rivalries or not, today's bracket is pretty bloody stellar with Duke/State at night and Carolina/Louisville this afternoon in addition to two other decent matchups. About as good as you could want for what used to be the first day of the old format. I'll admit that Pitt, Miami, and BC (and this year Syracuse although they showed up pretty strong last year) all giving the tourney a pass in terms of fan interest does rob the event of it's glamour a bit. As does the 5-day schedule. But we end up with some really good matchups eventually ... maybe even better than the old days, at least in the four Quarterfinal games.

Overall, I'll not whine about it. It's different to be sure. Sometimes in good ways, and sometimes in bad ways.

Greensboro loses a ton of money per year on that building. And they don't seem to care as long as they get their fame for 5 days in March. But now they are not going to get the ACC again until 2020. And they will get it a lot less after 2020.

I assume they also no longer care about bringing in the ECHL or AHL.

Greensboro loses a ton of money per year on that building. And they don't seem to care as long as they get their fame for 5 days in March. But now they are not going to get the ACC again until 2020. And they will get it a lot less after 2020.

I assume they also no longer care about bringing in the ECHL or AHL.

The city is starting a major renovation to that area soon. It is pretty run down over there.

The city is starting a major renovation to that area soon. It is pretty run down over there.

It's actually HUGELY better than it was in the 70s and 80s before the city cleaned up the projects on Florida Ave back in the 90s. It used to be downright scary on that side of the Coliseum.

Bottom line ... that building was built for the ACC Tournament and then extensively enlarged and renovated for the same event. The ACC's offices are in Greensboro and they've made it home, and that's really the only reason for that big an arena to even exist in a town the size of Greensboro. Without the Tournament, the whole economy of the building falls apart ... like, pronto.

They have many concerts there any more?

I recall back when dirt and I were young, they seemed to have them right and regular.

What is funny is that the only reason for the early 90s enlargement to 23k was to match Charlotte to keep the tourney. But then Charlotte tears down their newer place and replaces it with a 18k place "uptown" a few years back . Meanwhile the older Charlotte place is still there and will get the Checkers back next season.

Did Karmanos sell the Greensboro AHL team he was forced to buy and move to New Haven? I think he did but not sure where they ended up.

Did Karmanos sell the Greensboro AHL team he was forced to buy and move to New Haven? I think he did but not sure where they ended up.

He did sell that franchise, and IIRC the franchise slot ended up being used by another of the New England based clubs.

He did sell that franchise, and IIRC the franchise slot ended up being used by another of the New England based clubs.

Yes, PK sold the AHL franchise in 1997 and it became The Beast of New Haven, serving as an affiliate for the Hurricanes and the Panthers. It folded after two seasons in New Haven.

I thought Karmanos still owned it when it was in New Haven? He only agreed to buy it and move the team so the Canes could play in Greensboro.

Greensboro got the ECHL back after 99 but I think it only lasted a few years, not sure if the team folded or moved. Ice Caps moved to Macon GA in 98 and eventually folded.

Back