• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Road to the Frozen Four

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
The NCAA men's hockey tournament starts on Friday with regional games. Six of the 8 games will be on ESPNU or ESPN2 with the other 2 available on ESPN3. There are only 6 conferences, so 10 teams get at-large bids. Conference champions were RIT (Atlantic Hockey), Minnesota (Big 10), Harvard (ECAC), Boston U. (Hockey East), Miami of Ohio (NCHC) and Minnesota St. (WCHA). Minnesota St. is the overall #1 seed. Michigan Tech makes their first appearance since 1981.

Friday, March 27

Northeast Regional: Verizon Wireless Arena (Manchester, New Hampshire)
2 on ESPNU: No. 1 Boston University (25-7-5) vs. No. 4 Yale (18-9-5)
5:30 on ESPNU: No. 2 Minnesota Duluth (20-15-3) vs. No. 3 Minnesota (23-12-3)

West Regional: Scheels Arena (Fargo, North Dakota)
4:30 on ESPN3: No. 2 Michigan Tech (29-9-2) vs. No. 3 St. Cloud State (19-18-1)
8 on ESPNU: No. 1 North Dakota (27-9-3) vs. No. 4 Quinnipiac (23-11-4)

Saturday, March 28

Midwest Regional: Compton Family Ice Arena (South Bend, Indiana)
4 on ESPNU: No. 1 Minnesota State Mankato (29-7-3) vs. No. 4 RIT (19-14-5)
7:30 on ESPN3: No. 2 Nebraska-Omaha (18-12-6) vs. No. 3 Harvard (21-12-3)

East Regional: Dunkin' Donuts Center (Providence, Rhode Island)
3 on ESPN2: No. 2 Denver (23-13-2) vs. No. 3 Boston College (21-13-3)
6:30 on ESPNU: No. 1 Miami (Ohio) (25-13-1) vs. No. 4 Providence (22-13-2)

Saturday:
Northeast Regional Championship 5:30 ESPN2
West Regional Championship 9:00 ESPNU

Sunday:
East Regional Championship 5:00 ESPNU
Midwest Regional Championship 7:30 ESPNU

If you get a chance, you won't go amiss taking a peek at BU and the Eichel kid. He's fun to watch.

Michigan Tech makes their first appearance since 1981.

West Regional: Scheels Arena (Fargo, North Dakota)
4:30 on ESPN3: No. 2 Michigan Tech (29-9-2) vs. No. 3 St. Cloud State (19-18-1)

Whooooooooo! Let's go youse Huskies!!!!! (The Michigan Tech ones!)

Took you long enough. No internets in Orlando??? :wink

Needle's been too pegged doing the chaperone thing to even think about checking in here to give my Huskies their well-deserved shoutout until the bus ride home. Frankly, I'm amazed that I'm not just plain passed out here in my seat. I can say that it's not always a bad thing that teenagers are permanently attached to their cell phones.

I am proud of my Yoopers though and am dying for them to make a mark in this tourney. The opening weekend my freshman year we swept national finalist Duluth ( I think), and I was thinking big things for my new team. But, it was not to be. I got to see a pretty good few years from Randy McKay, and Damian Rhodes was a damn fine college goalie, but it's been a long time since the days of Tony Esposito in the Copper Country, I'll tell ya.

Just crushed by yesterday's result. They played so well and dominated for large portions of the game, only to lose because of a few head-slapping DOH moments. Getting called for embellishment on a hooking on a 2-on-1, and missing an empty net twice including an icing by trying for the EN 2 feet short of center line giving SCS the window to tie it up, and then a Dman blowing a tire in the offensive end leads to the winning break in OT. Awful.

Great season though by my winter dogs, and Mel Pearson is a coach that has been building this program back up from the dregs for a few years now and will build on this too going forward. This year was still early in the process and a welcome surprise.

Back