• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

NHL DRAFT LOTTERY - APRIL 18, 2015 @ 8 PM ET - CBC

We can talk at length about what separates these guys, and why we have certain preferences. But at the end of the day it really doesn't matter much. Hockey is all about highly skilled players. The Leafs are going to end up with one of these 3 guys.

Since 1990 OHL 17 year old seasons
1. Eric Lindros - 57 gp, 71 gls, 149 pts, 2.61 ppg
2. Connor McDavid - 47 gp, 44 gls, 120 pts, 2.55 ppg
3. Sam Gagner - 53 gp, 35 gls, 118 pts, 2.23 ppg
4. Marc Savard - 66 gp, 43 gls, 139 pts, 2.11 ppg
5. Jason Spezza - 56 gp, 43 gls, 116 pts, 2.07 ppg
5. Joe Thornton - 59 gp, 41 gls, 122 pts, 2.07 ppg
7. John Tavares - 67 gp, 72 gls, 134 pts, 2.00 ppg
7. Mitchell Marner - 63 gp, 44 gls, 126 pts, 2.00 ppg
9. Jeff O'Neill - 66 gp, 45 gls, 126 pts, 1.91 ppg
10. Dylan Strome - 68 gp, 45 gls, 129 pts, 1.90 ppg

Since 1990 NCAA 17 year old seasons
1. Jonathan Toews - 42 gp, 22 gls, 39 pts, 0.93 ppg
2. Zachary Werenski - 35 gp, 9 gls, 25 pts, 0.71 ppg
3. AJ Thelin - 41 gp, 11 gls, 29 pts, 0.71 ppg
4. Noah Hanifin - 37 gp, 5 gls, 23 pts, 0.67 ppg

All these guys put up practically unheard of seasons for their age, that are among the elite of the elite. The idea that we should be disappointed ending up with any of Hanifin, Marner or Strome and maybe even add Werensky to that group is just nuts. Any one of those guys would be a massive addition the organization. One that this team hasn't even had a chance to make through the draft since probably Lanny MacDonald. The numbers Marner put up practically guarantee him to be an elite player in the NHL. And he started off slow this year too with 5 point in his first 10 games. He finished the year with 52 goals and 137 points in 60 games (2.28 ppg) including the playoffs. Plus the kid plays a strong two way game. Hanifin did the same thing, putting up 16 points in his last 19 games (0.84 ppg) , as a 17 year old dman, in the NCAA playing against 18-23 year olds. Its just insane the amount of talent that will be available at 4.

The Leafs are in a great position for the draft.

Last edited:
Nice numbers. I didn't realize Werenski was that high up there too. Wonder why Hanifin is rated so far-and-away above him?

Anyways, I do count myself as one of the people who will be sort of disappointed if Arizona grabs Strome ahead of us, but I do fully realize at the same time that whoever we get with our fourth pick will automatically become our best prospect. And with the season William Nylander just had (with the AHL playoffs still to go), that's saying a lot.

Hanifin is more talented, and more advanced defensively. As I said, in the second half of the year he put up 16 points in 19 games and established himself as a #1 dman in the NCAA. Which is literally unheard of as a 17 year old. He's right up there with the top dmen drafted over the last few years (Ekblad, Hedman, Jones, Doughty, Pietrangalo). He has the complete package of size, skating, skill, IQ. He'll most likely go #3 IMO.

Nice numbers. I didn't realize Werenski was that high up there too. Wonder why Hanifin is rated so far-and-away above him?

His tools. He's apparently 6'4 now, and has elite mobility. The most common comparison I see is an elite skating version of Alex Piertangelo. Werenski is also a beastly prospect though. The best way to think about this draft is that there are 5 guys who would be consensus #1 picks in most drafts. So when you have a guy at the 6-7-8 spots like Provorov, Werenski, Barzal....****, even Crouse, these are guys who would be considered as #2-3-4 picks in most other drafts. Marner & Strome are forward prospects on par with Pat Kane, Joe Thornton, etc...better than RNH, Mackinnon, etc. Hanifin is a defensive prospect on par with Doughty (who goes #1 in a lot of drafts...but Stamkos is Stamkos), Ekblad, etc and a better prospect than Erik Johnson, and even a 17 yr old Pietrangelo.

Anyways, I do count myself as one of the people who will be sort of disappointed if Arizona grabs Strome ahead of us, but I do fully realize at the same time that whoever we get with our fourth pick will automatically become our best prospect. And with the season William Nylander just had (with the AHL playoffs still to go), that's saying a lot.

I'm honestly thrilled with any of Hanifin, Strome, or Marner...they're so close in quality that it comes down to personal preference, and they have the quality of a lot of #1 picks over the past 10 years. I ****ing hate tanking, but this was the year to do it.

I'm honestly thrilled with any of Hanifin, Strome, or Marner...they're so close in quality that it comes down to personal preference, and they have the quality of a lot of #1 picks over the past 10 years. I ****ing hate tanking, but this was the year to do it.

Yeah exactly, no matter who they select, unless they **** it up and don't pick one of the 3, they will likely end up with an impact player and leader that can be the centerpiece of the core moving forward. It really doesn't matter that much which one it is. You can't say that sitting at #4 most years.

We can talk at length about what separates these guys, and why we have certain preferences. But at the end of the day it really doesn't matter much. Hockey is all about highly skilled players. The Leafs are going to end up with one of these 3 guys.

Since 1990 OHL 17 year old seasons
1. Eric Lindros - 57 gp, 71 gls, 149 pts, 2.61 ppg
2. Connor McDavid - 47 gp, 44 gls, 120 pts, 2.55 ppg
3. Sam Gagner - 53 gp, 35 gls, 118 pts, 2.23 ppg
4. Marc Savard - 66 gp, 43 gls, 139 pts, 2.11 ppg
5. Jason Spezza - 56 gp, 43 gls, 116 pts, 2.07 ppg
5. Joe Thornton - 59 gp, 41 gls, 122 pts, 2.07 ppg
7. John Tavares - 67 gp, 72 gls, 134 pts, 2.00 ppg
7. Mitchell Marner - 63 gp, 44 gls, 126 pts, 2.00 ppg
9. Jeff O'Neill - 66 gp, 45 gls, 126 pts, 1.91 ppg
10. Dylan Strome - 68 gp, 45 gls, 129 pts, 1.90 ppg

Since 1990 NCAA 17 year old seasons
1. Jonathan Toews - 42 gp, 22 gls, 39 pts, 0.93 ppg
2. Zachary Werenski - 35 gp, 9 gls, 25 pts, 0.71 ppg
3. AJ Thelin - 41 gp, 11 gls, 29 pts, 0.71 ppg
4. Noah Hanifin - 37 gp, 5 gls, 23 pts, 0.67 ppg

All these guys put up practically unheard of seasons for their age, that are among the elite of the elite. The idea that we should be disappointed ending up with any of Hanifin, Marner or Strome and maybe even add Werensky to that group is just nuts. Any one of those guys would be a massive addition the organization. One that this team hasn't even had a chance to make through the draft since probably Lanny MacDonald. The numbers Marner put up practically guarantee him to be an elite player in the NHL. And he started off slow this year too with 5 point in his first 10 games. He finished the year with 52 goals and 137 points in 60 games (2.28 ppg) including the playoffs. Plus the kid plays a strong two way game. Hanifin did the same thing, putting up 16 points in his last 19 games (0.84 ppg) , as a 17 year old dman, in the NCAA playing against 18-23 year olds. Its just insane the amount of talent that will be available at 4.

The Leafs are in a great position for the draft.
Nice list ... it is a little concerning to see Sam Gagner and Jeff O'Neill on that list though ...

Yeah exactly, no matter who they select, unless they **** it up and don't pick one of the 3, they will likely end up with an impact player and leader that can be the centerpiece of the core moving forward. It really doesn't matter that much which one it is. You can't say that sitting at #4 most years.
Oh for sure. I mean, not winning the McDavid lottery sucks, but it is comforting to know Strome, Marner or Hanifin will go 1st overall in 7 out of 10 years.

Nice list ... it is a little concerning to see Sam Gagner and Jeff O'Neill on that list though ...

Jeff O'neill was a damn good hockey player until he found relief for his brother's death in the bottom of a bottle.

Gagner though...yeah. But if we're talking about a bust rate of 10%....I can work with that.

McDavid's level of compensation somewhat outstrips my own...and so do his options. I guess I have a few places I could go and make similar money, he has 29.

For the record...I've never lived in Edmonton, on purpose. I am in the process of moving to Calgary, which is a much, much nicer city.

lol

it is slightly better

Yeah, Jeff O'Neill isn't out of place on that list---he was a supremely talented hockey player. He was also just about as lazy as an NHLer could possibly be, and he had a reputation as a drinker and a partier for his entire career (something that O'Neill seems to have no problem admitting now that he's retired).

If Gary Roberts didn't roll into Carolina in the late 90's and temporarily whip O'Neill into shape, O'Neill probably retires with the label "bust" hung on him, instead of at least being a guy who had a solid four-year run as a 1st line, 30+ goal/60+ point player with Carolina between 1999 and 2003.

Curious what the others are.

Better weather by a fair margin, much better downtown area, better airport location by a ****ing mile, better airport period, better transit overall. Safer, cleaner, less sprawl (which does lead to worse traffic).

and then yes, 45 minutes from banff, an hour from Lake Louise. The mountain view is also quite nice.

Better weather by a fair margin, much better downtown area, better airport location by a ****ing mile, better airport period, better transit overall. Safer, cleaner, less sprawl (which does lead to worse traffic).

and then yes, 45 minutes from banff, an hour from Lake Louise. The mountain view is also quite nice.

Fair enough. I normally fly out of Cowtown. So I hear you there. The new airport expansion should help Calgary out.

Commute time is a big one for me. So traffic matters.

Downtowns are about even for me....aka terrible.

Weather...while you are right ... I personally am sick of southern alberta winters.

But Banff, Canmore, etc is big.

The Flames also rebuild better....lol

Dream scenarios for our "rebuild":

JVR + ? for Adam Larsson + 6th Overall

Kessel + Bozak for 11th Overall + Erik Gudbranson + Jon Huberdeau

Lupul + ? for Patrick Berglund

Phaneuf for Anthony Mantha + Stephen Weiss

Draft:

4th: Dylan Strome
6th: Mitchell Marner
11th: Oliver Kylington
24th: Jacob Larsson