• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2015 Worlds, May 1-17, Czech Republic

Bill Peters, Pete DeBoer and Jay Woodcroft will be the assistant coaches for Team Canada under Todd McLellen. McLellen, Peters and Woodcroft are all Mike Babcock hockey tree descendents.

One thing you can count on for the Worlds, is plenty of Canes players available. Kinda a yearly tradition now as those Hurricane players sure love to represent their countries!

One thing you can count on for the Worlds, is plenty of Canes players available. Kinda a yearly tradition now as those Hurricane players sure love to represent their countries!

The 2007 World Championship is how E. Staal got 2/3 of the way to membership in the Triple Gold club. He finished it with the 2010 Olympics. He added a silver medal in 2008.

Lindholm, Rask and Dobby are playing too.

Bill Peters, Pete DeBoer and Jay Woodcroft will be the assistant coaches for Team Canada under Todd McLellen. McLellen, Peters and Woodcroft are all Mike Babcock hockey tree descendents.

Peters getting in his required continuing education hours in order to maintain his Red Wings certification. :sarcasm

Rask had a goal which Lindholm assisted on in Sweden's first game. Lindholm was also Sweden's first shooter in the shootout and scored. Justin Faulk and Michal Jordan had no points is their openers. Dobby backed up Bobrovsky for Russia.

Video of the Lindholm-to-Rask goal (patent pending). Goal is around the 0:48 mark.

Lindholm's wearing 28, and using his body in the corner to win his puck battle, spin turn with the puck, and make dat killer pass through the crease.

As with a lot of scoring pairs, the primary assist is usually the key move that makes the play happen. But Rask (49) puts a pretty deft touch on the receive of dat pass, whirling around to put it through the big gap left uncovered by the scrambling-back goalie.

Beauty.

Last edited:
* Justin Faulk was pointless in TEAM USA's second win

* Elias Lindholm had a goal in Sweden's 2nd game. Rask had no points.

* Michal Jordan scored a goal in the 2nd game for the Czech's

* Rask scored a goal and Lindholm had an assist in Sweden's 3rd game

* Justin Faulk had an assist in Team USA's 3rd game

USA has won 3 straight in regulation, Sweden has 2 regulation wins and an OT win (8 points). Only Khudobin hasn't contributed anything so far (backup all 3 games Russia has played).

I took advantage of a scheduled evening meeting to work from home this morning and watch the Russia vs. USA match live on NBCSN.

USA scored first. Russia tied it up. USA fairly quickly scored again and then again to make it 3-1.

Russia trimmed that lead to one goal with a cross-crease pass that went in off Seth Jones' stick with about four minutes to go.

But an empty-netter sealed the deal, 4-2 USA.

Kovalpuke is totally classless and he dragged the rest of his team down with him. It seems to me that the powers that be in Russia ought to straighten him out and the IIHF should make an example out of his sorry@$$.

I hope he stays in Russia. The less I see and hear of him, the better I like it.

Jim

Unless there was some rule that requires them to stay on the ice, I don't see why this is a big deal. As far as I understand it, its just a long-standing unwritten etiquette. How the IIHF can punish them for a breach of an unwritten etiquette is beyond me. Correct me if I'm wrong here but does the NHL punish someone for not participating the handshake line? Do the losing teams in the SCF stay on the ice to watch the winners receive the Cup?

The Russians were out there for the handshakes and the medals and then left before the Canadian anthem. Personally, I think Ovie and Malkin made it into a bigger deal by not leaving. Right or wrong, they should have followed their Captain off the ice. Instead, it became this drawn out milling around of players that further distracted from the celebration. Ovie and Malkin could have said afterward that they disagreed with it but didn't want to make a scene and so they followed their Captain.

I understand the other side: Its disrespectful to not stay for the winners' time. If, since the beginning of time, the losing team left the ice before the other team's anthem, people would be saying that its proper to allow the winning team to have the limelight and its the right thing for the other team to leave after they get their medals. But since the Russians did something different than what's always been done, their getting pilloried for it.

I think this is mostly the media just trying to stir something up. I doubt anyone on Team Canada really gave a crap what the Russian team was doing before their anthem.

I think this is mostly the media just trying to stir something up. I doubt anyone on Team Canada really gave a crap what the Russian team was doing before their anthem.

They probably didn't give a crap. But Rene Fasel did.

“The IIHF has its own protocol and some sort of punishment will be handed down,” Fasel told TASS, per Reuters. “When I saw what had happened, I was very upset. In the 29 world championships that I have had the honor of attending, this is the first time I have seen something like this.

“What the Russian team did was completely out of order.”

Right but I will go back to what bagopux stated. If this is a some sort of unwritten etiquette that the IIHF wants to actually enforce then fine, but how much should you really punish a country from breaking from etiquette? Its kind of hard to punish 'rudeness and disrespect'. If you want to make it a rule that the other team must hang around until after the winner's anthem then specifically have it be a rule. Otherwise there should nothing more than a rebuke statement from the IIHF stating that they found some of the Russian's player's actions disrespectful that carries no further punishment at all (basically what has already happened with Rene Fasel's public statement).

My opinion.

To me, it boils down to sportsmanship, or lack thereof. There is plenty of time to sulk afterwards. If you lost fair and square, you should at least be grateful for being able to participate. News flash; only one team was going to win, though Russia did get owned...bad.

Think about if it turned out the other way around, with Russia winning & Canada losing the game. Do you honestly think the Canadian players would have left the ice the way team Russia did? Hell no. Poor sportsmanship is it. I've always had a major hate on for Kovalchuk, it just got a little deeper.

It sucks to see the other guy win the game to be crowned champion, but if you gave your all and still lost, congratulate the winner, hold your head up, and go figure out how to get 'em next time. Don't go off the ice like a bunch of spoiled whiny babies because you got stomped. Russia made this more of a story than it needs to be. They have reason to be ashamed.

Jim

It sucks to see the other guy win the game to be crowned champion, but if you gave your all and still lost, congratulate the winner, hold your head up, and go figure out how to get 'em next time.

They did that. They shook the hand of each player on the Canadian team. And I'd bet that a lot of them, whether the Canadians could understand them or not, said something in the nature of "good game," or "congratulations." Even Kovalchuk may have been as verbally gracious. We have no evidence to suggest otherwise except character evidence, which doesn't stand up.

You think Kovalchuk is a jerk. I get that. But I don't see anything wrong with shaking a guy's hand, congratulating him, and then letting his team listen to their country's anthem and having the stage all to themselves. Making the other team stick around just to hear your song is arguably just rubbing it in.

Last edited:
Back