• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Off season roster changes

10 minutes before Free Agency starts, I'm curious if we will see Condra sign today or any where for that matter. I suspect he's the next shoe to drop.

So Condra is gone.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/erik-condra-turns-down-ottawa-signs-with-tampa-bay-lightning/

Either Paul/Puempel/Prince/Grant will get a shot at his roster spot in the fall so no major lose.

So the forwards are:

MacCarthur - Turris - Stone
Michalek - Zib - Ryan
Puempel - Lazar - Pageau
Hoffman (RFA) - Smith - Chiasson (RFA)
Neil - Guy from Bingo

So depending on how Greening, Chiasson and Hoffman's situation each plays out I could see how the Sens payroll would be set to $63 million. Melynk would be happy with that since they would be right in the middle of the cap and the floor.

http://capfriendly.com/?p=team-cap&team=Ottawa Senators

Last edited:
So pre-season is here tonight. I'm probably more surprised by Phillips attempt at a return than I am by Greening's lack of a buy out. I don't think Greening has much to offer but I don't think a lot of money is saved with a buy out since he only makes about 3 million a year. Alas Greening will probably be needed in Bingo. I thought Philips had a bit of a retirement ceremony last February, but apparently he wants to play. I personally hope he doesn't, not just because I don't think he can contribute but also because I'm not sure if he will be able to walk in 10 years if he does.

So here we are for an early shot at the roster:

Forwards:

Michalek -Zib - Ryan
MacArthur - Turris - Stone
Hoffman - Smith - Chiasson
Puempel - Lazar - Pagaeu

Alternates:
Prince - Paul

Defense:

Karlsson - Method
Wiercoch - Ceci
Cowen - Boro

Alternate:
Wideman

Deadwood:
Greening - Neil
Philips

So Wikstrand decided to go AWOL, and Murray decides it's time to play hardball finally.

Where was that when Heatley was making noise?

I'm so tired of this old fool.

So pre-season is here tonight. I'm probably more surprised by Phillips attempt at a return than I am by Greening's lack of a buy out. I don't think Greening has much to offer but I don't think a lot of money is saved with a buy out since he only makes about 3 million a year. Alas Greening will probably be needed in Bingo. I thought Philips had a bit of a retirement ceremony last February, but apparently he wants to play. I personally hope he doesn't, not just because I don't think he can contribute but also because I'm not sure if he will be able to walk in 10 years if he does.

So here we are for an early shot at the roster:

Forwards:

Michalek -Zib - Ryan
MacArthur - Turris - Stone
Hoffman - Smith - Chiasson
Puempel - Lazar - Pagaeu

Alternates:
Prince - Paul

Defense:

Karlsson - Method
Wiercoch - Ceci
Cowen - Boro

Alternate:
Wideman

Deadwood:
Greening - Neil
Philips

I think Greening doesn't make enough to qualify for a buyout. Sure I read that somewhere. Phillips is finished. He should just go on the LTIR and quietly retire at the end of the season.

You're missing Neil. Apparently he came into camp leaner and since he's an A, a "leader" and a veteran, I suspect he'll at least get first shot at the 4th line RW job. Whether he can keep it or not remains to be seen, but I hope we are seeing his last year as a Senator.

I hope Greening gets sent to Bingo, but he as another year left on his mind boggling deal. As does Cowen. Murray really went all in with Cowen. Inexplicably. I mean it's not like he really did anything to earn a 4 year deal that gets progressively more expensive.

The only hope I have left for that guy is that his injuries have held him back the past few seasons, and that he can at least get to serviceable status. Just don't suck. That's all.

Still a bit too much dead weight in the lineup for my liking.

I'm one of the few that believe that Lazar should start the season in the AHL. I don't see any part of his game that warrants him skipping that step. The step that Spezza, Karlsson, and more recently Puempel, Prince, Pageau, Hoffman & Zibanejad have all taken.

How anyone can argue that he couldn't benefit from some time as the go to guy in Bingo just astonishes me.

You could be right about Niel, although I think Boro is destined to be the team enforcer going forward. Team injuries are probably the wild card in terms of what Niel has left to give. Unlike Philips Niel is at least healthy for now.

You're missing Neil. Apparently he came into camp leaner and since he's an A, a "leader" and a veteran, I suspect he'll at least get first shot at the 4th line RW job. Whether he can keep it or not remains to be seen, but I hope we are seeing his last year

Good catch on Niel. I was skeptical earlier this month, but he has been solid for a 35 year old write off. With Hoffman and MacArthur injured he will likely be a regular for a while.

Back