• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Leafs Offseason Thread

Metalleaf

@DarrenDreger: Also told Leafs would like to speak with NYR asst gm Jeff Gorton about gm job in Tor, however, at the moment NYR aren't granting permission.

yeah... I kind of don't want boucher here... I get that no matter who we get, the results won't be great... but I think we need a teacher coach here... not a hot head

yeah... I kind of don't want boucher here... I get that no matter who we get, the results won't be great... but I think we need a teacher coach here... not a hot head

Bob Hartley is a notorious hothead.... and yet he's got his club (far less talented the Leafs) to the 2nd round and is also nominated for the Jack Adams.... so there's that. I don't know much about Boucher to be honest but if hes a hot head like you claim then its also possible he's had time to re-evaluate his approach and could come back stronger.

I do agree though, we need a coach who is patient and has good player development skills.

I wanted Boucher previously. The Issue is, that was before they were blowing up the team.

Having a trap coach for young players in a rebuild makes zero sense to me.

I wanted Boucher previously. The Issue is, that was before they were blowing up the team.

Having a trap coach for young players in a rebuild makes zero sense to me.

From what I've read, he only used the "1-3-1' approach in Tampa because he had a shitty blueline and wanted to help insulate them.

Ken Holland: If another team hires Mike Babcock (before July 1), #RedWings would get 3rd round pick over course of next 3 seasons. Put date of May 25 on letter.

3rd rounder isn't THAT much, at the same time if both parties agree on it, I'm not sure there's an absolute need to officially sign him before July 1 either.

The biggest thing to me is, by Holland saying that, it means there's a very realistic chance Babcock is leaving.

I always thought Babcock was done in Detroit. He would not have put the team through that distraction this year and just signed an extension last summer. It's over.

It will be interesting to see what his true motive is. Winning or money

If its strictly cashing in no one can compete with Shanny

He's the best bet for turning this ship around in my opinion. I wouldn't be surprised if we did sign Babcock that there wouldn't be deals made for Kessel, JVR or Phaneuf. Maybe he'd want the opportunity to coach them before getting rid of them. My guess is that it would be a lot easier to get guys to buy into what you are selling when you have the kind of clout Babcock does.

I think offering Head Coach + Assistant GM + whatever his dollar demands are gives us the best chance.

Honestly I don't know why anybody would want to be head coach and GM at the same time. Not enough hours in the day to do both jobs well IMO.

babcock has said he doesn't want to be a GM. He is a coach and coach only.

BUT then right after that he said he wants to have a say in hockey moves, and added he has given input and had a say in every move the Wings made over the past few years.

So translating what Babcock is saying out of both sides of his mouth, I take it he doesn't want the GM title and full responsibility, but he wants to have a LOT of say in what is otherwise the GM's job.

Sounds a lot like what we are trying to do here with a committee like management group. Give Babcock the Assistant GM title so he'd essentially have a seat at the round table of decision making. That would give him some of the input he desires as well as not overloading him with GM work.

babcock has said he doesn't want to be a GM. He is a coach and coach only.

BUT then right after that he said he wants to have a say in hockey moves, and added he has given input and had a say in every move the Wings made over the past few years.

So translating what Babcock is saying out of both sides of his mouth, I take it he doesn't want the GM title and full responsibility, but he wants to have a LOT of say in what is otherwise the GM's job.

Where are you equating he's talking out of both sides of his mouth? Just because he wants input in hockey decisions it doesn't mean he wants the role of GM AND Coach, that's a lot for anyone to take on at once, and the two aren't mutually exclusive. I'm sure he does want to have some input and clout, but he doesn't want the day to day responsibilities of being a GM, I think he was being honest with his intentions about what he wants going forward, wherever he ends up.

Sounds a lot like what we are trying to do here with a committee like management group. Give Babcock the Assistant GM title so he'd essentially have a seat at the round table of decision making. That would give him some of the input he desires as well as not overloading him with GM work.

For all intensive purposes IMO Shanny is the GM, and Hunter/Dubas work as the assistants, whoever is hired will be working with those 2 and reporting directly to Shanahan.

I think it will be:

President - Brendan Shanahan
Vice President - Whoever we hire as GM(Michael Futa?)
GM - Whoever (Michael Futa)
Assistant GM - Mike Babcock
Assistant GM / Marlies GM - Kyle Dubas
Assistant GM / Scouting Director - Mark Hunter
Head Coach - Mike Babcock
Assistant Coach - Paul MacLean?

Not sure the rest.

Where are you equating he's talking out of both sides of his mouth? Just because he wants input in hockey decisions it doesn't mean he wants the role of GM AND Coach, that's a lot for anyone to take on at once, and the two aren't mutually exclusive. I'm sure he does want to have some input and clout, but he doesn't want the day to day responsibilities of being a GM, I think he was being honest with his intentions about what he wants going forward, wherever he ends up.
I never said he wants to be coach AND GM ... read what I wrote.

He said he wants to be a coach and a coach only, period.

Then he says he wants to have a say in every move the organization makes.

That is NOT the typical job description of 'a coach and a coach only'.

THAT is what I meant by talking out of both sides of his mouth.

I think it will be:

President - Brendan Shanahan
Vice President - Whoever we hire as GM(Michael Futa?)
GM - Whoever (Michael Futa)
Assistant GM - Mike Babcock
Assistant GM / Marlies GM - Kyle Dubas
Assistant GM / Scouting Director - Mark Hunter
Head Coach - Mike Babcock
Assistant Coach - Paul MacLean?

Not sure the rest.
Titles don't matter.

Babcock wants to have a say in what is typically a GM or an assistant GM's job.

And ANY team that courts him WILL give that to him. That is nothing special about what we can offer under Shanny's structure.

His decision comes down to what team he likes, what GM / President he likes to report to, how he perceives of the rosters, and what his kids and wife gotta say.

Back