• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Leafs Offseason Thread

Bernier's arbitration hearing is scheduled to go ahead this Friday, and both camp's numbers were released today.

Bernier's ask: $5.1M
Leafs' offer: $2.89M

I'm guessing they won't be settling this one before the hearing takes place...

Bernier's arbitration hearing is scheduled to go ahead this Friday, and both camp's numbers were released today.

Bernier's ask: $5.1M
Leafs' offer: $2.89M

I'm guessing they won't be settling this one before the hearing takes place...

Holtby asked for 8, and Washington's offer was in the 4-5 range. Everyone asks for insanely ludicrous amounts, because the arbitrator can pick a number in the middle anyways. Based on that, I wouldn't be shocked to see them agree to a 1/4 deal before the hearing.

What IS significant IMO is the Leafs purposely offers $1k less than what Bernier made last season as their opening bid.

This is, in a way, saying "We're not happy with your performance last season Jonathan"

Holtby asked for 8, and Washington's offer was in the 4-5 range. Everyone asks for insanely ludicrous amounts, because the arbitrator can pick a number in the middle anyway. Based on that, I wouldn't be shocked to see them agree to a 1/4 deal before the hearing.
Based on NHL history when it comes to arbitration hearings, the two sides picking a number in the middle and settling is certainly the most likely outcome.

I sort of feel like the Leafs are ready to go to the wall here though. Both to preserve as much of their $12.8M in remaining cap space as possible for in-season deals, and because they've got a pretty good case against Bernier. He's coming off a horrible season and in two years in Toronto, he still hasn't been able to prove himself as a legitimate starting goaltender at the NHL level.

Even if he does have a strong season this year, with him slated to be a UFA on July 1st, 2016, do you hand him a fat long-term extension for UFA dollars on the basis of one season when you're a team at the very beginning of a rebuild? Or do you see if you can squeeze a big trade return from a team with playoff aspirations that's run into mid-season goalie problems? And getting back to the arbitration hearing: if you are thinking about dealing Bernier during this coming season, the lower you can keep his cap hit on a one-year deal, the more value he's going to have in a trade.

Or it's them arriving at the sensible conclusion that no non-elite goalie is worth a big investment.

Jonathan Bernier is a good goalie but he's not a great goalie.

Or it's them arriving at the sensible conclusion that no non-elite goalie is worth a big investment.

Jonathan Bernier is a good goalie but he's not a great goalie.

Finally we agree on something... while he's put up decent numbers' he is far from great and proven. A one year/4.5M deal is very reasonable IMO.

You would think they would settle. It doesn't really matter if you pay him $2.9 million or $5.1 million this year. the win is forcing the one year deal.

You would think they would settle. It doesn't really matter if you pay him $2.9 million or $5.1 million this year. the win is forcing the one year deal.

Yep, the last thing management should be doing is going in long term with a guy who has proven **** all since coming here, one year deal or take a hike is my opinion on the guy.

Reading more into it, this is actually a very interesting situation

- This is a team-elected arbitration. The Leafs filed for arbitration, not Bernier. This is the ONLY team filed arbitration this summer.
- The Leafs offered $2.89M, not only is less than the $3.4M he made last season (cap hit was $2.9M, but salary was $3.4M) but is also the lowest offer the Leafs could submit as per CBA rule. The Leafs have chosen to go with the lowest offer they couldgo in with
- If this does go to arbitration, which is this Fri, the arbitrator will only award a 1 year deal. Meaning Bernier will become a UFA next summer
- Leafs cannot walk away from this arbitration, because this is a team elected arbitration
- Leafs have claimed they don't feel Holtby is a comparable to Bernier because of his performance last season. They feel, in fact, the closest comparison to Bernier is Reimer ($2.3M). And that is actually true in terms of age, experience, career SV%, career W

All taht said, the Leafs are making a strong statement that, at the very least, they are questionable at best, on Bernier's status as their future 1G.

All taht said, the Leafs are making a strong statement that, at the very least, they are questionable at best, on Bernier's status as their future 1G.

I think they are sending a bigger picture here: if you want to be a Toronto Maple Leaf, and want to get paid well, you'd have to show your worth. The team will not give you a deal out of desperation or lack of alternatives.

It's also not a great market for goalies any more. There's a lot of teams locked into long term goalies at big money. Niemi took meh money and a 1A/B gig in Dallas rather than test the market.

They held up cards with famous people on them and asked him to identify them. If he could get 5 right they'd give him what he asked for.

@reporterchris: Jonathan Bernier and the #leafs have settled before the arbitrators award. Two-year deal with $4.15M AAV.

Back