• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Leafs Offseason Thread

1c3789f6e990e76fd1e925c139e05093.jpg

Hawks and kings didn't need those types of picks to build their teams.

If you look at Crosby, stamkos and ovey....they have one cup and two other finals appearances between them. Don't need it those those guys to win when you have a good gm and scouting staff

Umm..... pretty sure Chicago has Kane (1st overall 2006)/Towes(3rd overall 2006)/Seabrook (14th overall 2003) as their cornerstones AND LA has Kopitar (11th overall 2005), (2nd overall, 2008), (13th overall 2003)

As of now the Leafs have.... Kadri (7th overall, 2009), Rielly (5th overall, 2012), Nylander (7th overall, 2014), Marner (4th overall, 2015). Kadri is showing his celing as a 2nd liner, Rielly currently is a top 4D with potential to be an above average top pairing guy, Nylander looks to fall anywhere in between the 1C-2C role to the 1st/2nd line winger, same goes for Marner.... time will tell if any of these guys turn into merely good players or legit cornerstones.

Instead of repeating the responce back, read the thread. Already noted that I was focused on stamkos and Mcdavid level that was written...which now of those guys were when drafted.

As of now:

JVR-Kadri-Winnik
Holland-Bozak-Parranteau
Komarov-Spalling-Soshnikov/Marner/Nylander/Kapanen/Brown
Carrick-Arcabello-Panik

Rielly-Phaneuf
Gardiner-Polak
Hunwick-Marnincin
Robidas

Bernier
Reimer

Yeah, well its already been pretty painful for the last 5-6 years, but they'll still probably be more competitive than last year.

Also now this is JVR-Kadri-Rielly's team, so it will be interesting to see how they handle that.

Even though the Marner's and Nylander's of the world likely won't be around next season, it will still be a big year for some key young players.

Have to think Phaneuf is gone by opening day.

After seeing us jettison Kessel for a bag of pucks, I'm terrified of what we may end up pawning Dion for. I just hope it doesn't involve too much retained salary or a fugly long-term contract.

Have to think Phaneuf is gone by opening day.

After seeing us jettison Kessel for a bag of pucks, I'm terrified of what we may end up pawning Dion for. I just hope it doesn't involve too much retained salary or a fugly long-term contract.

yeah, I'm not optimistic. I'm just hoping the contract we get back isn't too onerous.

After last season, watching a team that tries hard and battles will be a significant improvement.
Honestly, the 2015/16 Maple Leafs, no matter who they end up being, have it pretty good. As long as they go out, give an honest effort at both ends of the rink and manage to avoid giving up 40+ shots every night while acting like that's nothing to be concerned about, fans will for the most part be pretty satisfied.

Expectations will be modest, people won't be surprised or angry if they don't win a lot, and they should also hopefully be mostly clear from the baggage of recent years.

Back