• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Summer 2015 Transfer Thread

I really hope he doesn't end up buried on the bench of a bigger club like seems to keep happening to all our talented young dutchmen as their careers stutter and fizzle out.

I really hope he doesn't end up buried on the bench of a bigger club like seems to keep happening to all our talented young dutchmen as their careers stutter and fizzle out.

Since he played for LVG on the Oranje, I don't think it's going to be an issue. Di Maria and Januzaj may need to find someplace else to play and I saw somewhere that PSG might be interested in Di Maria after losing out on Depay.

I wonder where the Raheem Sterling drama will take us this summer? Now Brendan says he expects him to stay.

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers has said he expects forward Raheem Sterling to stay at the club for the remainder of the two years on his contract.

Liverpool cancelled a meeting with Sterling on Friday because of comments attributed to the player's agent.

Aidy Ward reportedly said the England forward, 20, will not sign a new deal even if offered "£900,000 a week".

Rodgers said: "Raheem has two years left on his deal and I expect him to see that two years through."

Rodgers expects Sterling to stay

Its a tough one for Liverpool, its never good to have a player around that has so publicly pushed to go but they did that with Suarez 2 summers back and made it work for a while.

If they want to be a top 4 club then they cant keep selling their best player every summer...... otherwise you become Tottenham.

If they want to be a top 4 club then they cant keep selling their best player every summer...... otherwise you become Tottenham.

Don't forget the part about constantly changing managers. Actually, if you look at the two clubs over the last five years or so, there's really not a lot of difference, either in on-field results, or supporter frustration.

Liverpool defenders Kolo Toure and Andre Wisdom have signed new contracts with the club.

The club would not disclose the length of the deals but Toure's is reported to be a one year extension, while 22-year-old Wisdom has signed "long term".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32893558

Will be interesting to see if Wisdom goes back and plays regularly for Liverpool next year. He looked good anytime I saw him play for WBA.

Tottenham Hotspur have signed Austrian defender Kevin Wimmer from Cologne for an undisclosed fee on a five-year deal.

The 22-year-old centre-half moved to Germany in 2012 from LASK Linz in his native Austria and made 72 appearances for the Bundesliga club.

Although Tottenham have not disclosed a fee for Wimmer, various reports suggest they have paid around £4.3m.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32928429

...If they want to be a top 4 club then they cant keep selling their best player every summer...... otherwise you become Tottenham.

Agree with the sentiment, but Raheem isn't our best player, Philippe Coutinho is. And I think Emre Can and Daniel Sturridge (when healthy) are better players, too. When they start to make peeps about leaving (especially Philippe), then I'll worry.

But yeah, losing the players we've lost doesn't say much for the club and its ambitions. Of course the ownership travails over that time have played a part, too. The Hicks/Gillette group were a disaster, and FSG is still trying to sort things out.

To me that's typical Liverpool of late. "He's a good guy and a good player, we'll figure out where he fits." Not sure that really flies as a personnel strategy.

I'm reading that they are also picking up Danny Ings. That would be negotiating rights, since his contract is expiring, but Burnley need to get what they can for him.

Villa sound like they have no intention of dealing Benteke, meaning we'll be hearing rumors about him daily until the summer window closes.

To me that's typical Liverpool of late. "He's a good guy and a good player, we'll figure out where he fits." Not sure that really flies as a personnel strategy.

Yep. Rodgers has to decide on his tactics and then find players to fit the formation. Not the other way around, which is what it looks like.

Well ... in truth, I think Milner's best seasons in the EPL were at Aston Villa when they played him in a central midfielder role a little bit forward of the mix. He was surprisingly adept at defending and worked VERY well with Gareth Barry to create attacking chances. So maybe Liverpool is thinking of returning him to that role, which gives them a Gerrard replacement.

One thing for sure ... Milner won't leave anything in the boot room. He'll give you everything he's got and raise the passion level a couple of notches. Ever team needs guys like that.

Last edited:
One thing for sure ... Milner won't leave anything in the boot room. He'll give you everything he's got and raise the passion level a couple of notches. Ever team needs guys like that.

If he was a basketball player, he'd have floor burns all over his knees.

Cant find a link online anywhere but Sky Sports News are reporting that Everton will sign Tom Cleverley on a 5 year deal when his contract expires on July 1.

He seems like a Martinez type player.

Cant find a link online anywhere but Sky Sports News are reporting that Everton will sign Tom Cleverley on a 5 year deal when his contract expires on July 1.

He seems like a Martinez type player.

He does, and he played fairly well for Wigan in 2011. As a Villan I can't decide if I'm upset at this news or not. Villa wanted to sign Cleverly and he put in some good games for them after Sherwood took over. But he was so blasted inconsistent and played such incredibly crappy football when he first got there that I dunno. I have trouble working up the energy to be upset that he's gone.

He does, and he played fairly well for Wigan in 2011. As a Villan I can't decide if I'm upset at this news or not. Villa wanted to sign Cleverly and he put in some good games for them after Sherwood took over. But he was so blasted inconsistent and played such incredibly crappy football when he first got there that I dunno. I have trouble working up the energy to be upset that he's gone.

I think he is the type that needs a manager to put his arm around his shoulder and build up his confidence.

In his final days at United he wasn't getting that, simply because Moyes had bigger thing to worry about. At Villa its no shock that he played better under Sherwood than Lambert considering their management styles.

If anybody can show a player support and try to bolster their confidence its Martinez (its probably his biggest fault as a manager as well as his biggest strength).

Back