• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Hey Nerds - PC Edition

Blueman

Hey kids,

Looking for some help putting together a new home computer setup.

I'm thinking of a dual 27" monitor setup, but would welcome a 3rd monitor depending on cost of the computer. I can picture geeking out to some vids (COD, etc) and be the envy of teenagers everywhere.

My main functions are surfing, email, MS Office programs, and a bunch of fairly cpu intensive programs that I would like to run off an SSD.

Can someone recommend a computer that fits this description or locations to buy one online? Cheaper is better but want to stick under 2K (not including monitors).

Thanks!

Blueman

The monitor you linked doesn't seem to have any HDMI inputs. I don't know if that matters to you or not..but that's something I would want.

I bought a new computer about 4 months back...i7 4790k, GTX 970 video card. Very happy.

Sounds about right - the 980 would be boss, but doubt I'd notice the difference.

Where did you get it do you mind me asking - or did you build it yourself?

If I wanted something like that, and didn't want to build it myself, I'd just go to Canada Computers and find the best ASUS out there. http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=7_1203_124&item_id=081294 would essentially fit your bill - there's another one that's a couple hundred more with a bigger SSD. If you want an "off the shelf" model, CC's prices are usually a good benchmark, and they have a pretty solid selection of machines, although stock will vary heavily with them.

Here's one for you, water cooled.

http://imgur.com/a/sJnxh <- more pictures

p3syXdJ.jpg

Last edited:
Is it just me that hates the tower lighting up like a Christmas Tree? There are 3 LED's on my tower and they light up the damn room.

Sounds like you you're not looking for a gaming machine and not looking to build your own. If that's the case, I'd recommend customizing your own Dell Precision tower. Their workstation focused computers (almost server class) and come with powerful Xeon's CPU's; can add SSD and RAM to your liking. If you want to go cheaper, then just grab some consumer level desktop from ncix.com or canadacomputers.com and have them toss in an SSD. I think you can even get them to build something with parts of your choosing.

For your monitors, you'll definitely want to go with IPS panels over standard TN. The better ones are by Dell, Toshiba and Apple. Dell generally has them on sale from time to time, they go for about $500, the Apple thunderbolt displays are very pricey and really not worth it. Those Corssover displays you're looking at, never heard of them before. For an IPS display, they're certainly cheap but who knows about the quality.

Sounds about right - the 980 would be boss, but doubt I'd notice the difference.

Where did you get it do you mind me asking - or did you build it yourself?

My brother built it for me. I think I spent somewhere around $1800 with taxes. Got some parts from newegg and others from tigerdirect.

If you want a gaming rig, either build your own or get an Alienware machine. Origin makes some good ones as well but Alienware has better build quality and head turning case designs. http://www.alienware.ca/Landings/desktops.aspx

If you want triple monitor setup, you'll need either dual GPU's in SLI or Corssfire (best option if gaming), or a single card with capacity for more than two monitors. Even if you've got a GPU card with only dual monitor output ports, all isn't lost. Most video cards still support multiple displays connected to a single output using a video splitter. They'll work for everyday use, but not good for gaming

If you're gaming, you'll want to get monitors with high refresh rates to prevent screen tearing. The better gaming monitors have Nvida g-sync technology which helps generate images on screen in order to eliminate the tearing. They're expensive but worth the extra cash; again, if you're gaming.

If you're gaming, you'll want to get monitors with high refresh rates to prevent screen tearing. The better gaming monitors have Nvida g-sync technology which helps generate images on screen in order to eliminate the tearing. They're expensive but worth the extra cash; again, if you're gaming.

I actually have a Q about this. I have a i7-4790k and Geforce gtx 970, but do have an older monitor (between 5-8yrs old). I do experience what seems like screen tearing (i get these weird vibrations sometimes) it looks similar to when its really hot outside and see those vibrations (or heat) near the ground. So you are saying this is mostly from the refresh rate? Could a monitor like this solve that problem? http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...3&cm_re=PPSSHGGRXVLVAN-_-24-236-313-_-Product

I really don't want to go as expensive as the g-sync monitors are.

Last edited:
Back