Page 1 of 747 1231151101501 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 14921

Thread: Rumours, Innuendos and Flat out B.S.: 2017-18 Edition

  1. #1
    Legend WeHaveMoreCupsThanYou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    19,864
    Post Thanks / Like

    Question Rumours, Innuendos and Flat out B.S.: 2017-18 Edition

    The biggest problem this team has is that it's just good enough to provide ammunition to those who want to maintain the status quo. If it sucked completely and had no redeeming qualities making changes would be easy to accept. But why clamour for getting rid of Pleks, who is consistent and seems likable? And Markov. Sure he's lost a step but he's a life-long Hab and he's played on the top pair for so long. And sure, Max isn't a prototypical power forward but he's the only legitimate scoring threat we've got among the top 6 so we can't be without him....

    And on and on and on.

    This series perfectly illustrates how meaningless regular season results really are. If you can't match in the playoffs what you brought to the table during the season then you are, by definition, a fraud.

    And you need to go.

    In the end I don't really care that Pleks and Markov don't talk to the press, don't make waves and show up for work every day. If they don't or no longer have that extra gear needed to perform in the post-season then they are just taking up space and it's up to the GM to tell them that they're done here. I also don't care that Max is a big physical presence who can score 35-39 goals. If he doesn't use that size to drive the net, if he's playing in fear of getting another concussion or whatever else is causing him to vanish into thin air as soon as the playoffs arrive, he too is just taking up space and needs to pack his bags (and his signature hamburger) and go.

    But mostly and first, before any players are dealt away, this coach must be fired. We don't even know how well this team can play because it is shackled by a man who coaches out of fear. All we know for sure is that the only time they seem to play an exciting brand of hockey is during those occasions when circumstances necessitate the abandonment of the coach's preferred system. That, more than anything, should tell us all we need to know about him.

    But mostly he needs to go because his philosophy is the complete opposite of Bergevin's philosophy. The GM is trying to build one kind of team (fast, skilled, exciting) and the coach is trying to beat that out of them and make them a plodding, dump-and-chase team. And of course it isn't working because the GM isn't acquiring players who are well-suited to that style. Therrien is essentially trying to make race horses pull milk wagons. Bergevin knows this and to an extent has tried to do it Therrien's way (mostly because Therrien has sabotaged every move designed to produce more offence. He gets Briere and his coach puts him on the fourth line and only plays him 8 minutes a night) So Bergevin makes these remedial moves to shore up the blue line or the bottom six because his coach is fixated on nothing else.

    Once the season ends, Bergevin needs to go hard after Babpenis. Get an agreement worked out with him and then fire Therrien the same day Babs signs the contract. If the francophone media jackals don't like it, tough. But they won't be able to whine too much since Babpenis is a proven winner and easily the best available coach out there. No one will be able to argue that some "ti-gars" deserves the job more than him.

    Once that's taken care of, get to work on tearing down this regular season division winning team and start building a team that wins Cups.
    Last edited by BURG; 08-12-2017 at 05:38 AM.
    The Montreal Canadiens:

    "Making easy jobs needlessly difficult since 1994"

  2. #2
    Legend Altair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    9,273
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Once again, it's time to gut this team

    I was almost ok with what you wrote until you said get babpenis. He wants a quasi GM role and I doubt Bergiven wants that.

    That said, come playoff time the habs top six tend to disappear. Pleks, Dd, definitely Patches(Don't make this guy Captain). It's telling that last years run was fueled by Eller, Bourque and Weise playing out of their mind hockey.

    The only reason I would want the habs to blow it up is because I have no faith in the clubs ability to rebuilt and retool on the fly. Sadly it's better to keep this core together and hope the stars align in the postseason one day.
    No one loves the warrior until the enemy is at the gate.

    Quote Originally Posted by zeke View Post
    An idiot grunt like habitants should be enraged.

  3. #3
    Legend GGpX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Montréal
    Posts
    60,689
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Once again, it's time to gut this team

    Quote Originally Posted by Habitants87 View Post
    I was almost ok with what you wrote until you said get babpenis. He wants a quasi GM role and I doubt Bergiven wants that.

    That said, come playoff time the habs top six tend to disappear. Pleks, Dd, definitely Patches(Don't make this guy Captain). It's telling that last years run was fueled by Eller, Bourque and Weise playing out of their mind hockey.

    The only reason I would want the habs to blow it up is because I have no faith in the clubs ability to rebuilt and retool on the fly. Sadly it's better to keep this core together and hope the stars align in the postseason one day.
    Babcock wants (allegedly) a say in player personnel and to be the highest paid coach in the league. Explain to me the Sekac for DSP if Therrien had no say in player personnel?
    Elite goaltending will hide a lot of a bad team's flaws and make them look a lot better than they truly are. That's why Carey Price is the single most important player to his team in the NHL.

    My new poorly written out thoughts on this season's Montreal Canadiens.

    "Remember guys, your life could always be worse. You could be so ugly, broken and miserable that feminism actually sounds like a good idea." -Milo Yiannopoulos

  4. #4
    Legend Sal_Butera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Here, there & everywhere
    Posts
    53,262
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Once again, it's time to gut this team

    Quote Originally Posted by GGpX View Post
    Babcock wants (allegedly) a say in player personnel and to be the highest paid coach in the league. Explain to me the Sekac for DSP if Therrien had no say in player personnel?
    Suck-ass is nowhere close to a Dudley or Mellanby type player - they are the the anti Euro pussy brigade.


    “We haven’t reached the ultimate, of where you walk into the building and you can sort of smell victory. But we’re a step closer to that this year than we were last year.”


    “So now the pressure’s on to replicate.”
    - Geoff Molson

  5. #5
    Legend Habs53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    China
    Posts
    14,641
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Once again, it's time to gut this team

    Gut a 110 point team.. ya ok lol

  6. #6
    Legend WeHaveMoreCupsThanYou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    19,864
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Once again, it's time to gut this team

    Quote Originally Posted by Habs53 View Post
    Gut a 110 point team.. ya ok lol
    Why not? Regular season points are meaningless if you get your hat handed to you in the first round. Believe me, if this team stubs it's toe in the next two games and is on the golf course next Wednesday morning, no one is going to give a rat's ass about how many points they got in the regular season and it shouldn't be enough to save anyone's job.
    The Montreal Canadiens:

    "Making easy jobs needlessly difficult since 1994"

  7. #7
    ADMINuteman Habspatrol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Lookin for a place to happen
    Posts
    78,238
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Once again, it's time to gut this team


  8. #8
    Legend
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    66,413
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Once again, it's time to gut this team

    Quote Originally Posted by Habs53 View Post
    Gut a 110 point team.. ya ok lol
    Don't need to gut but playoffs are what matter, not the 82 game exhibition season.

  9. #9
    Legend
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    17,706
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Once again, it's time to gut this team

    Quote Originally Posted by Habs53 View Post
    Gut a 110 point team.. ya ok lol
    The problem is simple , we are hiding behind a franchise goalie and hope that this safe hockey approach system we have is good enough to cover our deficiencies and stay competitive. We dont have that extra gear , intestinal fortitude, and enough talent to bring home Stanley.

    Problem is our core isnt good enough , are we prepared to take 2 steps back for 3 forward and start moving out some assets instead of this wash rinse and repeat shit every year.

  10. #10
    Canadiens & 'News & Views' Moderator TheCountofMonteCristo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    62,614
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Once again, it's time to gut this team

    Quote Originally Posted by GEEMAN View Post
    The problem is simple , we are hiding behind a franchise goalie and hope that this safe hockey approach system we have is good enough to cover our deficiencies and stay competitive. We dont have that extra gear , intestinal fortitude, and enough talent to bring home Stanley.

    Problem is our core isnt good enough , are we prepared to take 2 steps back for 3 forward and start moving out some assets instead of this wash rinse and repeat shit every year.
    you all would still bitch after every loss
    "The next game is the test unless we win" CanadienFan

    Donald Trump, the gift that keeps on giving.

  11. #11
    Legend XPOFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    60,893
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Once again, it's time to gut this team

    Could have waited at least until we lost in a series. Also for Babcock. They will never hire him...no French. Learn to live with it or cheer for another team
    to you from failing hands we throw the torch be yours to hold it high

  12. #12
    Legend WeHaveMoreCupsThanYou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    19,864
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Once again, it's time to gut this team

    Quote Originally Posted by XPOFAN View Post
    Could have waited at least until we lost in a series. Also for Babcock. They will never hire him...no French. Learn to live with it or cheer for another team
    I disagree. There are a few anglo coaches that the fans and media would accept and Babpenis is one of them.

    Needless to say, Cunneyworth was not one of them, nor should he have been.

    In order to sell an anglo coach said coach needs to have credentials that are impeccable enough to quash any dissent. You can't say no to a coach who's won multiple Cups and has ties to Montreal like Babs if your only argument is that he doesn't speak French. The only way you can say no to him is if you can produce a francophone candidate with similar credentials. That francophone candidate does not exist.
    The Montreal Canadiens:

    "Making easy jobs needlessly difficult since 1994"

  13. #13
    Legend XPOFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    60,893
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Once again, it's time to gut this team

    No non French Speaking coach will be hired no matter who it is. Every other attribute/skill can be evaluated or compromised depending on the situation but not that one. It is what it is.
    to you from failing hands we throw the torch be yours to hold it high

  14. #14
    Legend WeHaveMoreCupsThanYou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    19,864
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Once again, it's time to gut this team

    If having a french speaking coach is so important then they should be grooming them instead of just hiring whichever one happens to be on top of the scrap heap. The pool of talent is so shallow we had to hire Therrien twice already. What's next? The return of Claude Julien?

    I don't buy your argument. Molson cares about profits and the season ticket base isn't going to blithely accept yearly ticket price increases if there's no realistic hope for a Cup. This ain't Toronto. Molson needs a winner to get rich because Montreal fans are too fickle to rely on. I'm not saying that losing seasons will cause the team to go belly up, but the profit margins won't be as high and they won't always grow from year to year. Not if the team stagnates.

    In the end, the fans want to win. If the team wins, no one is going to care what language the coach speaks.
    The Montreal Canadiens:

    "Making easy jobs needlessly difficult since 1994"

  15. #15
    Legend XPOFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    60,893
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Once again, it's time to gut this team

    Quote Originally Posted by WeHaveMoreCupsThanYou View Post
    If having a french speaking coach is so important then they should be grooming them instead of just hiring whichever one happens to be on top of the scrap heap. The pool of talent is so shallow we had to hire Therrien twice already. What's next? The return of Claude Julien?

    I don't buy your argument. Molson cares about profits and the season ticket base isn't going to blithely accept yearly ticket price increases if there's no realistic hope for a Cup. This ain't Toronto. Molson needs a winner to get rich because Montreal fans are too fickle to rely on. I'm not saying that losing seasons will cause the team to go belly up, but the profit margins won't be as high and they won't always grow from year to year. Not if the team stagnates.

    In the end, the fans want to win. If the team wins, no one is going to care what language the coach speaks.
    Team won with MT. Get into the playoffs is important. Winning the cup is the dream
    to you from failing hands we throw the torch be yours to hold it high

  16. #16
    Legend WeHaveMoreCupsThanYou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    19,864
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Once again, it's time to gut this team

    The team hasn't won anything of significance with Therrien. Half the teams in the league make the playoffs. It's not an accomplishment. And for some teams, winning Cups isn't a dream; it's a realistic goal that they actively work at achieving. When you treat it like a dream you ensure that it will only ever be a dream. I don't think Habs fans dream about winning Cups. They expect to win them. They don't want a team of dreamers. They want a team of achievers.

    Jets fans dream about winning Cups but still buy tickets because they're just happy to be there. The only thing that makes a Habs fan happy is an unbroken string of success. No hopes and dreams with them; just expectations which need to be met.
    The Montreal Canadiens:

    "Making easy jobs needlessly difficult since 1994"

  17. #17
    Canadiens & 'News & Views' Moderator TheCountofMonteCristo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    62,614
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Once again, it's time to gut this team

    we have been sold out for 11 straight years without winning, your view that CanadienFan will not accept no Cups is old school thinking
    "The next game is the test unless we win" CanadienFan

    Donald Trump, the gift that keeps on giving.

  18. #18
    Legend XPOFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    60,893
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Once again, it's time to gut this team

    You are living in the 70's. Look at the string of sellouts and the fan reaction. Yes fans are fickle and bi-polar, but today's fan will keep coming if the team is even somewhat competitive.
    to you from failing hands we throw the torch be yours to hold it high

  19. #19
    Legend Habs53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    China
    Posts
    14,641
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Once again, it's time to gut this team

    We ran into the hottest team in the league. A team that could very well be fighting us for first place next year. Maybe give the Sens some credit instead of gutting our team. We can and probably still will win this series

  20. #20
    Legend
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    17,706
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Once again, it's time to gut this team

    Quote Originally Posted by TheCountofMonteCristo View Post
    you all would still bitch after every loss
    Nope its got nothing to do with crying after every loss , the question is do you want to try to win a cup one day or stay status quo of hiding behind Price ? Do you want the ineffective 51-14 down the middle and top 6 fiasco we have now ?

    Are you ready to make the tough personnel decisions and cut bait with some players or resign 14 and hope at 37 he finds his playoff magic?

    Same boat as Pittsburgh and other teams team needs change

Page 1 of 747 1231151101501 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •