• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Rumours, Innuendos and Flat out B.S.: 2021-22 Edition

Re: Rumours, Innuendos and Flat out B.S.: 2016-17 Edition

I prefer not to bank on the former. I will consider it a bonus if he repeats those numbers.

Byron shooting percentage was 23 per cent. If he returns to form he'll score between 8 to 11 goals next season.

Byron shooting percentage was 23 per cent. If he returns to form he'll score between 8 to 11 goals next season.

23% is high, However he generates breakaways and scores a lot of goals in front of the net. I could see him shooting slightly higher than league average and being in the 10-15 goal range. He converts his breakaways at a decent rate the last two years, something he didn't do in Calgary. His chances are high quality, he's not a shoot from anywhere type.

It`s an Eklund rumor.... nothing but click bait for Habs fans.

Byron is a good soldier with a minuscule cap hit. He also serves a constant reminder that our pro scouts can do their job.

Not going anywhere.

It`s an Eklund rumor.... nothing but click bait for Habs fans.

Byron is a good soldier with a minuscule cap hit. He also serves a constant reminder that our pro scouts can do their job.

Not going anywhere

I wouldn't say that, but he's not going for a pick. Maybe as part of bigger package

Is this draft class any good, or is it similar to 2012 where 2nd round picks were useless? Habs drafted Colberg and Thrower. The rest of the league didn't fare much better (only 1 player with more than 20 career goals)

Parayko (3rd rounder), Vesey (3rd rounder), Athanasiou (4th round C) would look mighty nice in a Habs uni - ironically all three big & good skaters

For a late second round pick, I probably wouldn't trade Byron.

For the 33rd pick, the second pick on day 2 of the draft, which is pretty much a first round pick? I would absolutely trade Byron for that.

For a late second round pick, I probably wouldn't trade Byron.

For the 33rd pick, the second pick on day 2 of the draft, which is pretty much a first round pick? I would absolutely trade Byron for that.

I just don't get it why people think that a 2nd round pick is the cat's meow. Why anyone would trade a decent NHLer who is still not past his prime for a second round pick is beyond me, unless there is salary to dump or a resigning isn't possible.

Rumours, Innuendos and Flat out B.S.: 2016-17 Edition

I don't give a rats ass about picks, too much of the unknown factor with the high level of scouting performance across the league - margin has never been smaller between "good drafting" and "poor drafting" teams IMO.

My question though: is there sufficient high interest in Byron to make him a deal breaker in acquiring a young talent? Does a poor defensively aware team view Byron as an important enough element?
I.e for argument sake only, not saying this will/might happen, could Byron packaged with a 1st or prospect like Juulsen net a Nichushkin type youngish raw talent that may no longer be part of someone else's plans?

I don't give a rats ass about picks, too much of the unknown factor with the high level of scouting performance across the league - margin has never been smaller between "good drafting" and "poor drafting" teams IMO.

My question though: is there sufficient high interest in Byron to make him a deal breaker in acquiring a young talent? Does a poor defensively aware team view Byron as an important enough element?
I.e for argument sake only, not saying this will/might happen, could Byron packaged with a 1st or prospect like Juulsen net a Nichushkin type youngish raw talent that may no longer be part of someone else's plans?

What's that first part based on exactly?

I just don't get it why people think that a 2nd round pick is the cat's meow. Why anyone would trade a decent NHLer who is still not past his prime for a second round pick is beyond me, unless there is salary to dump or a resigning isn't possible.

For starters, because Byron is at peak value now & having just turned 28 I don't think he's going to be getting any better, because I don't think we're winning with or without him so I would rather accumulate draft picks instead, because the 33rd pick in the draft (a weak draft, but still) is a good way to try to get us to boost our prospect depth. (I'd also trade down with our first round pick in hope the NJD would be willing to give us both their second round picks)

I fully expect The Charlatan to keep & protect him from the expansion draft, despite this team having no shot at winning a cup.

And who knows, maybe we'll be lucky and draft Sebastian Aho 2.0.

For starters, because Byron is at peak value now & having just turned 28 I don't think he's going to be getting any better, because I don't think we're winning with or without him so I would rather accumulate draft picks instead, because the 33rd pick in the draft (a weak draft, but still) is a good way to try to get us to boost our prospect depth. (I'd also trade down with our first round pick in hope the NJD would be willing to give us both their second round picks)

I fully expect The Charlatan to keep & protect him from the expansion draft, despite this team having no shot at winning a cup.

And who knows, maybe we'll be lucky and draft Sebastian Aho 2.0.

I don't think the GM has the same perspective as you do in those regards.

What's that first part based on exactly?
I have very low confidence this org I'll turn even 2nd round picks into diamonds let alone the fact teams across the league have generally become much better at scouting - scouting efficiency in the NHL IMO is at an all time high.

I don't think the GM has the same perspective as you do in those regards.

Our GM has a loser mindset (it's hard to make trades, hard to draft, hard to develop, hard to win).

Our GM has a loser mindset (it's hard to make trades, hard to draft, hard to develop, hard to win).
Do u really believe that's his mindset..his belief?
David Poile for all the kudos he's receiving has never won anything in his nearly 44-years in NHL management. If I go based on what I read on this board Poile's right up there with Sam Pollock and NHL all time great GMs.
Bravado in the media is meaningless.

All Canadian teams (except it seems Van) face the trifecta of roadblocks:
- poor weather vs southern markets
- high taxes vs US markets
- living under a magnifying glass

This will be year 24 since a Canadian team has won the Cup, until the Leafs actually win I'll withhold judgement. Leafs (and their management) will now have expectations going forward while playing more and more under the Candian magnifying glass - great talent depth but we've seen this show before.
We'll also find out how Shanahan, Uncle Lou & company deal with the situation post-honeymoon, in a marketplace that demands.

Back