• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Rumours, Innuendos and Flat out B.S.: 2021-22 Edition

Re: Rumours, Innuendos and Flat out B.S.: 2016-17 Edition

Would you guys do a Larkin for 27 swap if we pickup some cap junk that Holland wants off his books ?

No, I think Larking got overrated as a rookie. He's a decent player but he's not the answer as a number 1 centre.

He came back down to earth last year. 32 points.

I'd rather keep the guy who has scored 30 goals and not take Larkin plus junk.

Yeah I like Larkin as a 2nd liner but no way would I give up Galchenyuk or Drouin for him.

Yeah, if they want to do Shaw for Larkin and cap junk, Sure, but I'm not giving up guys better than him to try to get him.

I don't see any point in trading AG as he pretty much is our only hope at having a #1 center.

If Julien can dedicate training camp to moulding him into the type of center he wants he can still be that #1 center we need

Playing centre is not really that difficult. It's more a case of having a good motor and being committed down low. If 27 can't do it with his skill and frame it's more of an effort thing

Playing centre is not really that difficult. It's more a case of having a good motor and being committed down low. If 27 can't do it with his skill and frame it's more of an effort thing

I don't agree with that at all. Playing proper defence as a center is not just an effort thing. Yes effort is needed. But so is the ability to read plays, taking proper angles, technique, and hockey IQ. There is a lot more to it than just effort. Good coaching can go a long way in helping him in terms of his technique and hockey IQ.

Nice to see he had some of the best coaches around teaching him early on.

Guys don't get to the NHL without being at least good at reading plays and proper angling. Guys like 27 or even Drouin switch to wing in the NHL because they tend to cheat in the defensive zone. Their brains are wired for offense much like Yzerman was before he fully committed.

Guys don't get to the NHL without being at least good at reading plays and proper angling. Guys like 27 or even Drouin switch to wing in the NHL because they tend to cheat in the defensive zone. Their brains are wired for offense much like Yzerman was before he fully committed.
Guys get to the nhl all the time who are good at scoring at lower levels, against weaker competition, but then struggle in the nhl. Why is defensive game different and its all effort and no skill or technique needed.

Why do we assume that its all effort?

On top of that a guy like drouin or galchenyuk was dominant offensively in juniors. You dont have to learn to play in your own zone when your team controls the puck 70% of the time you are on the ice. You dont have to sweat the technique when your pure skill just dominates the other kids your age.

I never said it was all effort. If 27 competed in the D zone the way he does offensively he'd be much better. He's much more engaged on one side of the ice.

The notion that playing center isn't all that hard is like saying you don't really need a brain to be a good quarterback. I mean...

If playing center wasn't difficult, why don't wingers play there more often?

The simple fact is, it's common for players who excelled at center in Junior and/or minor leagues to convert to wing, but it's virtually unheard of to hear about a winger at those levels becoming a center in the NHL.

Yeah, center and goalie are the two hardest, and key, positions.

The notion that playing center isn't all that hard is like saying you don't really need a brain to be a good quarterback. I mean...

If playing center wasn't difficult, why don't wingers play there more often?

The simple fact is, it's common for players who excelled at center in Junior and/or minor leagues to convert to wing, but it's virtually unheard of to hear about a winger at those levels becoming a center in the NHL.

Exactly.

The biggest cop out for people who don't truly understand the game is to assume every mistake can be fixed if the player just tried harder, or wasn't lazy, or whatever.

There is far more that goes into poor defensive play than just effort. In fact the number of bad plays that are poor effort is very, very small. Bad technique, inability to read the play and anticipate what is going to happen, getting out of position or getting caught flat footed, just flat out getting beat cause your opponent has more talent. All of these things are more often the issue than effort.

Oh man...I never said it was just effort.

"Playing centre is not really that difficult. It's more a case of having a good motor and being committed down low. If 27 can't do it with his skill and frame it's more of an effort thing."

And? Where did I say that playing centre in general is only about effort?

Back