• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Rumours, Innuendos and Flat out B.S.: 2021-22 Edition

Re: Rumours, Innuendos and Flat out B.S.: 2016-17 Edition

For a late second round pick, I probably wouldn't trade Byron.

For the 33rd pick, the second pick on day 2 of the draft, which is pretty much a first round pick? I would absolutely trade Byron for that.

In a heart beat , plus if Byron is a concern to lose thats sad.

Do u really believe that's his mindset..his belief?
David Poile for all the kudos he's receiving has never won anything in his nearly 44-years in NHL management. If I go based on what I read on this board Poile's right up there with Sam Pollock and NHL all time great GMs.
Bravado in the media is meaningless.

All Canadian teams (except it seems Van) face the trifecta of roadblocks:
- poor weather vs southern markets
- high taxes vs US markets
- living under a magnifying glass

This will be year 24 since a Canadian team has won the Cup, until the Leafs actually win I'll withhold judgement. Leafs (and their management) will now have expectations going forward while playing more and more under the Candian magnifying glass - great talent depth but we've seen this show before.
We'll also find out how Shanahan, Uncle Lou & company deal with the situation post-honeymoon, in a marketplace that demands.

blah, blah, blah we all know it's difficult. Otherwise, Molson would hire one of his nephews and pay him minimum wage.

But as Wazoo, myself and many others have stated, Bergevin is neither bright enough, nor does he possess the leadership qualities necessary to overcome the challenges.

For a late second round pick, I probably wouldn't trade Byron.

For the 33rd pick, the second pick on day 2 of the draft, which is pretty much a first round pick? I would absolutely trade Byron for that.

In this draft... no way.

this draft is garbage.

Do u really believe that's his mindset..his belief?
David Poile for all the kudos he's receiving has never won anything in his nearly 44-years in NHL management. If I go based on what I read on this board Poile's right up there with Sam Pollock and NHL all time great GMs.
Bravado in the media is meaningless.

All Canadian teams (except it seems Van) face the trifecta of roadblocks:
- poor weather vs southern markets
- high taxes vs US markets
- living under a magnifying glass

This will be year 24 since a Canadian team has won the Cup, until the Leafs actually win I'll withhold judgement. Leafs (and their management) will now have expectations going forward while playing more and more under the Candian magnifying glass - great talent depth but we've seen this show before.
We'll also find out how Shanahan, Uncle Lou & company deal with the situation post-honeymoon, in a marketplace that demands.

The tax difference really is not that much different in say California or New York than Canada. The lack of the microscope is probably a bigger issue than the taxes. Weather, who knows if that plays a factor.

I do agree that now the Leafs and Oilers will have expectations and not just be a feel good story. How they react will be interesting to watch.

The tax difference really is not that much different in say California or New York than Canada. The lack of the microscope is probably a bigger issue than the taxes. Weather, who knows if that plays a factor.

I do agree that now the Leafs and Oilers will have expectations and not just be a feel good story. How they react will be interesting to watch.

The Leafs can buy a bit of time before their kids need to re-upped, they did the heavy lifting unloading . Edmonton needs to find some trading partners to unload some bad money before CMD becomes the highest paid player in the game .

I have very low confidence this org I'll turn even 2nd round picks into diamonds let alone the fact teams across the league have generally become much better at scouting - scouting efficiency in the NHL IMO is at an all time high.

Kinda sounds like the opposite then, that there isn't just a small margin between good drafting teams and bad?

Kinda sounds like the opposite then, that there isn't just a small margin between good drafting teams and bad?
Low % success of 2nd rounders becoming NHLers to begin with add to it scouting efficiency improvement. Would prefer trading NHL assets for a higher probability of success asset

blah, blah, blah we all know it's difficult. Otherwise, Molson would hire one of his nephews and pay him minimum wage.
Last I checked MB is not in the upper echelon of GM $

so much for our revenue advantage

Nill started to crap his pants once his name was rumored as a possible Habs GM candidate...so much for the most sought after GM job in the NHL

Low % success of 2nd rounders becoming NHLers to begin with add to it scouting efficiency improvement. Would prefer trading NHL assets for a higher probability of success asset

our only assets are the ones you want to keep unless you are gutting the team

Nill started to crap his pants once his name was rumored as a possible Habs GM candidate...so much for the most sought after GM job in the NHL

why would anyone be anxious about a job offer? it only increases your options and market value.

Rumours, Innuendos and Flat out B.S.: 2016-17 Edition

our only assets are the ones you want to keep unless you are gutting the team
Gallagher + Byron for Duchene? Gotta explore the market place there just could be a devalued asset combined with a team willing to move in another direction.

Last edited:

The lack of playoff revenue will force Geoff to approve ''desperate'' type deals....like trading away Chuckie for Erat type players or Fillipula/Boyle type players (though they are UFA, but similar type players)

Back