• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Rumours, Innuendos and Flat out B.S.: 2021-22 Edition

Re: Rumours, Innuendos and Flat out B.S.: 2016-17 Edition

Thats a silly hope.

The idea that a FA season makes a player better just isn't true. Pretty much 1/2 of all players do worse than their career average in a contract year and 1/2 do better. There is no correlation to increased performance in contract years, its another one of those myths, just like clutch.

players are motivated by the fact they are seeking a new contract which will in turn make them more motivated to be better.

I've heard retired players say that there was always added pressure on contract years to put up better numbers, for sure its not an automatic that it happens which explains your 1/2 and 1/2 statistic with Regards to performance but it is a circumstance that motivates players.

In the case of a player like Plekanec I still see a player who skates well and is still not that old who in his last contract year put up about 30 more points that the first year of his last contract.

This is a player who may be the perfect example that a contract year may be the motivation to kick it up a gear because the drop off in production was just too drastic from his last contract year to first year of his current contract

Last edited:

Can you last through 6 months and 82 games playing at a "higher level" just cause of a little extra motivation. An NHL season is a real grind, and that doesn't seem to have a big effect over the long run.

That said, it will be hard for Plekanec to be as bad as he was last year. Simple reversion to the mean in his shooting percentage would make for a much better season.

That also said, even reverting to the mean a bit, I don't expect a $6 million player. If we can move him (without taking on long term commitments) why not?

Can you last through 6 months and 82 games playing at a "higher level" just cause of a little extra motivation. An NHL season is a real grind, and that doesn't seem to have a big effect over the long run.

That said, it will be hard for Plekanec to be as bad as he was last year. Simple reversion to the mean in his shooting percentage would make for a much better season.

That also said, even reverting to the mean a bit, I don't expect a $6 million player. If we can move him (without taking on long term commitments) why not?

motivation entails alot of things that results in an overall better season....better off season training, better practice habits, willingness to be more involved on the ice etc etc..

yes most knowledgable hockey fans know that an NHL season is a grind but if you have a significant motivation to having a better season you're putting yourself in a position to be better more often than not over those six months.

To me Plekanec looked more disinterested and less involved in games than he was a couple of years ago when he was a sure 45-55 poInt guy...he just seemed like a player that had little spark and fell into a comfort zone of giving just enough and nothing more

I would be shocked if Plekanec is approaching this year like he has the last two years, these are pro athletes in 2017 and money is a great motivator, if it translates into better results is to be seen but If Pekanec is remaining a Hab Which obviously sucks at least there is a shred of hope that the fact its a contract year lights a spark in this guy

Last edited:

motivation entails alot of things that results in an overall better season....better off season training, better practice habits, willingness to be more involved on the ice etc etc..

Thats great and all, but if it was anything more than a myth, you wouldn't see a near 50/50 split.

Just like clutch, its something that seems to make logical sense as a narrative, but in practice just doesn't happen in any statistically significant way.

yes most knowledgable hockey fans know that an NHL season is a grind but if you have a significant motivation to having a better season you're putting yourself in a position to be better more often than not over those six months.

To me Plekanec looked more disinterested and less involved in games than he was a couple of years ago when he was a sure 45-55 poInt guy...he just seemed like a player that had little spark and fell into a comfort zone of giving just enough and nothing more

I would be shocked if Plekanec is approaching this year like he has the last two years, these are pro athletes in 2017 and money is a great motivator, if it translates into better results is to be seen but If Pekanec is remaining a Hab Which obviously sucks at least there is a shred of hope that the fact its a contract year lights a spark in this guy

Money is a factor in many years.

A player like plekanec knows full well that his next contract won't be based solely on this season, but on many years of recent performance.

If he was consistent he'd get more as a UFA, than after one good year following an awful one.

14 will be looking at 1 year deals moving forward and he should start chasing teams with cup potential at reduced money .

He's going to start signing bonus laden contracts. He's hitting that age.

The thing is that the ideology of greater notivation on a contract year is not a myth....it's human nature to be hungrier and more determined when there is posibility for greater gain.

I agree with your 50/50 stat because its also a human trait to fail despite those motivations.

There are never guarantees but fact is that you can ask any pro athlete or agent that
having an above average year on your contract year is a tremendous benefit financially be it the term

Having said that if Plekanec is going to start the season here we can hope that he has as objective to improve offensively

i'm sure there is motivation.

But if it does not translate into results, who cares? The chances of having a better than average season are 50/50 contract season or not.

The myth is not that motivation exists. The myth is that it matters and that it will lead to better results.

The point being that the fact that this is a contract season should have no effect on what we expect out of Plekanec

The reason Toews makes as much as he does relative to his somewhat modest stats is because he's clutch. 3 Cups in 6 years. You win the games that matter, you get paid. I'd gladly take him on the Habs at whatever money he's making.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Here comes another clutch debate...

Debates like these are why Donald Trump is a thing. Really guys "motivation" and "clutch?"

You're good or you're not. Plain and simple.

The reason Toews makes as much as he does relative to his somewhat modest stats is because he's clutch. 3 Cups in 6 years. You win the games that matter, you get paid. I'd gladly take him on the Habs at whatever money he's making.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

When you have 3 rings on your fingers you are paying a premium to retain your core , plain and simple . Its a fact your gonna pay the price with albatross deals at some point when you have 4-6 players on mega term deals.

I would gladly be capped out , maxed out and have no flexibility with 3 titles in 6 years than be at the cap pretending to contend like us and other teams .

We can talk all we want about how Plekanec may rebound somewhat next year, and yes logic says that he can't be worse and will be motivated. However, we all know how likely he is to be a difference maker in the playoffs, and this is clearly what matters. We won the division with him playing like sh&t. We almost don't need him to be better in the regular season.

Really sad, when you look at it this way and see that we may be going forward with him , after having to let a guy like Radulov go. Not to be too negative, but..

We can talk all we want about how Plekanec may rebound somewhat next year, and yes logic says that he can't be worse and will be motivated. However, we all know how likely he is to be a difference maker in the playoffs, and this is clearly what matters. We won the division with him playing like sh&t. We almost don't need him to be better in the regular season.

Really sad, when you look at it this way and see that we may be going forward with him , after having to let a guy like Radulov go. Not to be too negative, but..

I think most want him gone even if there are no firm amswers as to who the top two centers are as it stands right now but I think we're slowly coming to the realization that once again Plekanec may start the season here again

The only thing plekanec is right now is an expiring contract where his 6 million will absorb the raises we have to give price, danault and potentially jerabek if hes good (or an upgrade if he isnt)

The point being if you get rid of plek you cant go out and sign someone to a long term deal with that money.

That said we do have 9 million unused today which could be used on a long term deal.

The only thing plekanec is right now is an expiring contract where his 6 million will absorb the raises we have to give price, danault and potentially jerabek if hes good (or an upgrade if he isnt)

The point being if you get rid of plek you cant go out and sign someone to a long term deal with that money.

That said we do have 9 million unused today which could be used on a long term deal.

bottom line , he has to go after this season

Debates like these are why Donald Trump is a thing. Really guys "motivation" and "clutch?"

You're good or you're not. Plain and simple.

Plenty of people are good, some are good and lazy, some are good and motivated and hard working. Teams hire psychologists to follow the players. Coaches are always looking at new angle on how to motivate players and light a fire under their ass.

Motivation is as real as clutch. :)

Back