• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Rumours, Innuendos and Flat out B.S.: 2021-22 Edition

Rumours, Innuendos and Flat out B.S.: 2017-18 Edition

I don't see why Buffalo would trade ROR to be honest.

“There’s no question in my mind the Sabres are open for business,” said hockey Insider Bob McKenzie during his latest edition of the Bobcast. “And my sense is that after the exit interviews were done with the Sabres, I think they realized they really need to make some changes to their core. And I hate to use the word ‘culture change’ because I think it’s such an overused cliche, but I do believe it applies in this instance, that there does need to be a culture change in Buffalo.

So I think they’re all ears on just about anybody not named Jack Eichel or Rasmus Dahlin, and I suppose that’s a little bit hyperbole. I mean, it always is when you say, ‘They’re listening on everybody.’ I mean, it’s not a fire sale. But I think if they do get a call on just about anybody there, other than Eichel or obviously the first overall pick and what will become Rasmus Dahlin, they are going to listen.

And in my view, the player that is most likely to be moved is veteran center Ryan O’Reilly. Now in some ways mentioning him first after mentioning culture change, that’s probably not fair to him. Because it sort of implies he’s at the root of everything that’s wrong with the Buffalo Sabres and the Sabres’ culture of losing, and that’s not entirely true. In fact, it may not be true at all. But he’s a core guy. And if you’re going to effect a culture change, you need to move core guys – it’s as simple as that.

But in any case, I think the more practical reason why the Buffalo Sabres are right now intent on trading Ryan O’Reilly is that the Sabres are trying to surround Eichel and Dahlin with, I think, younger players. Younger than 27, anyway, which is O’Reilly’s age.”

Last edited:
Re: Rumours, Innuendos and Flat out B.S.: 2017-18 Edition

Sure they do. If they are not fast, but they're effective ala Thornton, Tavares, Getzlaf they tend to age quite well. They can lose a little speed and it doesn't effect they're game a lot. Players that rely on speed are screwed when they lose their #1 weapon.

Vanek is another one, amazing he still finds NHL jobs somewhere and holds his own.

Sure they do. If they are not fast, but they're effective ala Thornton, Tavares, Getzlaf they tend to age quite well. They can lose a little speed and it doesn't effect they're game a lot. Players that rely on speed are screwed when they lose their #1 weapon.

What do all of those players have in common that ROR does not have?

They're players with HHOF talent. Players with that kind of talent almost always last well into their 30s. Which is part of my contention with signing UFA forwards to long term deals when they hit 27 to 30 years of age.

Players who aren't, almost all to a T, fall off in their late 20s early 30s. Maybe like Stastny, ROR will be an outlier, but that remains to be seen.

RoR has been really damn good. He might be a notch below those guys but he's also more of a 2 way player than them.

Comparing RoR to Getz, JT and Big Joe is silly. Those 3 guys are tracking to be HoF players.

I'm not at all convinced that RoR is immune to the 30s performance drop, in fact I completely expect it.

And he's not even THAT good now.

RoR seems like a "grass is greener on the other side" type of player. Someone you expect to get you more than 55-64 points, but doesn't.

I'd take him considering MB is the GM and he's living in the immediate. But RoR is probably a player many of us would roll their eyes at in 2 or 3 years.

Last edited:

And he's not even THAT good now.

RoR seems like a "grass is greener on the other side" type of player. Someone you expect to get you more than 55-64 points, but doesn't.

I'd take him considering MB is the GM and he's living in the immediate. But RoR is probably a player many of us would roll their eyes at in 2 or 3 years.

No, he's pretty much the type of player that you expect to get 55-65 points from, and does get. With great 2 ways play and faceoffs ability. He's pretty similar to Bergeron in that regard, who also been in the 55-65 range for many seasons before this one.

No, he's pretty much the type of player that you expect to get 55-65 points from, and does get. With great 2 ways play and faceoffs ability. He's pretty similar to Bergeron in that regard, who also been in the 55-65 range for many seasons before this one.

I've unfortunately seen a lot of Buffalo games. Every time I see RoR he leaves me wanting more. So I respectfully disagree with you based on my first hand experience.

RoR has been really damn good. He might be a notch below those guys but he's also more of a 2 way player than them.

Might be?

He's probably two, maybe even three notches below.

Those are players who, in any given season, could get (or have gotten in Thornton's case) consideration for league MVP. ROR will never even get a 15th place vote in his entire career. ROR could play until he's 50 at a 60pt / 82gp pace and he'll never be considered in the same breath as those three.

I've unfortunately seen a lot of Buffalo games. Every time I see RoR he leaves me wanting more. So I respectfully disagree with you based on my first hand experience.

Maybe it's your expectations that are wrong? He's nothing if not consistent.

Consistently average for someone making 7.5M for the next 5-6 years

He’d be the ideal 2nd line center on this team, with Danault as your 3rd line center. Still need a no. 1 center, however. This is where Bolduke usually chimes in with “It doesn’t matter, we need a total rebuild . . .” but we know that’s not going to occur here so might as well try and retool properly.

Last edited:

Then sign Paul Stasny AND get Ryan O'Reilly.

You don't really have a 1rst line center, but center depth with Danault as your 3rd line center looks much better.

AND it slots Drouin on the wing where he belongs.

He’d be the deal 2nd line center on this team, with Danault as your 3rd line center. Still need a no. 1 center, however. This is where Bolduke usually chimes in with “It doesn’t matter, we need a total rebuild . . .” but we know that’s not going to occur here so might as well try and retool properly.

How can you retool properly with no organizational depth and a retard GM .

You cant do it when you cant win with 6 and 31 as your best players. 67 needing a new contract or traded and a flawed remaining roster .

Anyway you try your still putting square pegs in round holes hoping to make it work .

Then sign Paul Stasny AND get Ryan O'Reilly.

You don't really have a 1rst line center, but center depth with Danault as your 3rd line center looks much better.

AND it slots Drouin on the wing where he belongs.

The salary cap waves and says hello.

You could realistically just get one of the two unless you think getting rid of Danault is a good idea, an idea I don't subscribe to. Let's say ROR for argument's sake.

ROR will cost assets. Something similar to what he was traded for before, so think about something like Lehkonen + Josh Brook + 34th overall pick.

He also costs $7.5M on the cap. We have $61M spent on the cap next season. Add him, we're at $68.5M.

Danault needs a new contract. I don't think he's going to be extremely expensive, so let's say $3.5M or so. That makes the cap reach $72M.

You also need a replacement for Lehkonen since we've traded him and we need to sign or trade for an NHL caliber left D since I don't know if we have one on the roster.

With the upcoming draft, you'll address one of those two needs with either Zadina or Quinn. They'll be on an ELC and the caphit will be $1M. That makes it $73M, with the ceiling being $75M. If you draft Quinn, one of Mete or Rielly (or maybe even both) goes to the AHL next season and you still have two forward spots to fill. You now have $2M to spend on those two holes, $2.75M if Rielly is sent down. Plus the need for a backup goalie. So Lindgren at $750k is the backup, we now have $1.25M (or $2M) left for two forwards.

Point is, getting both players isn't feasible.

Last edited:
Back