• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Rumours, Innuendos and Flat out B.S.: 2021-22 Edition

Re: Rumours, Innuendos and Flat out B.S.: 2017-18 Edition

From Eklund: The possibility exists that not only do the Habs not get Tavares but that the Isles will keep him AND get Max.

"This is an interesting one and the first time I have heard of any "contingency plans" with the Islanders and Tavares... In saying this, I still believe the chances are better than 70% that Tavares is going to be signing with the Islanders for a VERY long time...

According to a reliable source, the Islanders are considering a run at Max Pacioretty should they not be able to get Tavares signed...could Max be a part of deal to acquire Tavares' rights in Montreal? Possibly, but more likely it would be a separate deal..."

The habs don't have vision, so I can see them doing something like that. It will be amazing enjoying another run of 5+ years of not winning the cup. Max needs to be traded for an A level prospect and maybe a B+, not the fkn rights to JT.

The habs don't have vision, so I can see them doing something like that. It will be amazing enjoying another run of 5+ years of not winning the cup. Max needs to be traded for an A level prospect and maybe a B+, not the fkn rights to JT.

You don't trade your goal scorer for a "prospect", it has to be an NHL ready top 6.

Max isnt landing you a level A prospect. The Hockey News has their Future Watch magazine and 2 players we wanted were Thomas and Kyrou both in the top 12 and your not getting those types of players in return .

The time to move him was last summer at the draft for full value .

The landscape has changed , there is a huge premium on young skilled controllable players on ELC`s .

The appetite to take on Max type players knowing at 30 its a huge payout has waned big time .

We fcked up as usual waiting too long to dump our assets.

What's needed is to rip the Band-Aid off in one motion. The best way to do that would have been to fire MB and replace him with someone from outside the organization who was not beholden to or burdened by any prior or ongoing relationship/connection to any of the players. Then, since these players meant nothing to this new GM, they could be dumped or otherwise offloaded without any regard for reputation, face-saving or even nostalgia. Just a surgical procedure in which the rotting tissue is cut out and disposed of.

Unfortunately for us, Molson is too emotionally invested in Bergevin and both of them are too emotionally invested in some of the players who need to go.

Max isnt landing you a level A prospect. The Hockey News has their Future Watch magazine and 2 players we wanted were Thomas and Kyrou both in the top 12 and your not getting those types of players in return .

The landscape has changed , there is a huge premium on young skilled controllable players on ELC`s .

The appetite to take on Max type players knowing at 30 its a huge payout has waned big time .

You're right. But I can hope he still has some value, considering what some players got at the deadline this year. We might need to accept picks instead of a blue chip prospect. But, either way, the dumbest thing we can be doing is trading away Max for JT's rights.

You're right. But I can hope he still has some value, considering what some players got at the deadline this year. We might need to accept picks instead of a blue chip prospect. But, either way, the dumbest thing we can be doing is trading away Max for JT's rights.

Hardly if the rights to JT includes a contract with him. We would be getting a better and younger player in a position of need.

You don't give an asset for the right to negotiate with someone who may have absolutely no desire to play for your team. You have to know beforehand that he's going to sign a long-term contract with you before you offer up your best goal scorer in trade. I doubt even Bergevin is that stupid (but he does surprise us sometimes)

It would be silly to do that trade if you know Tavares is going to hit the market in two days, you might as well wait for him to do so, and then sign him while still having Max.
However, I assume it would go down like this.

You want Tavares, we can let you talk to him before the week before July 1. In return, if you sign him before he hits UFA status, you give us Max in return for us to allow you to talk to him ahead of time.

That would be more fair. In effect you are trading player for player.

You could also work out an 8 year deal, and tell him, ok, you sign with the Islanders who then will trade you to us. He gets his extra year of financial security, we get the player.

I'm looking at a Milan Lucic type of return for Max.

Lucic was traded at the draft with 1 year left on his contract and fetched the 13th overall pick, Martin Jones (who the Bruins traded for another 1st round pick), and Colin Miller who's been having a decent career so far.

There is no reason why we can't do the same, baring the incompetence of our GM.

Lucic was traded at the draft with 1 year left on his contract and fetched the 13th overall pick, Martin Jones (who the Bruins traded for another 1st round pick), and Colin Miller who's been having a decent career so far.

that is reason enough,,,,

It would be silly to do that trade if you know Tavares is going to hit the market in two days, you might as well wait for him to do so, and then sign him while still having Max.
However, I assume it would go down like this.

You want Tavares, we can let you talk to him before the week before July 1. In return, if you sign him before he hits UFA status, you give us Max in return for us to allow you to talk to him ahead of time.

That would be more fair. In effect you are trading player for player.

You could also work out an 8 year deal, and tell him, ok, you sign with the Islanders who then will trade you to us. He gets his extra year of financial security, we get the player.

Didn't they try this with Sundin only to come out of it with nothing?

Agreed , thats a decent deal GW . Even the McDonough deal if the pick is higher is in the ballpark of getting back 2 good prospects as well .

Its those Thomas and Kyrou or Toffoli and Vilardi for Max returns that we need top stop dreaming about .

Back