• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Rumours, Innuendos and Flat out B.S.: 2021-22 Edition

Re: Rumours, Innuendos and Flat out B.S.: 2017-18 Edition

No correlation IMO. It wasn't lack of cap space that kept MB from signing Radulov, it was philosophical, MB wasn't going beyond his BAFO (max 5yr term & $) - likewise Markov. We may choose to agree or disagree with MBs position, but point remains, it wasn't Shaw's contract (or lack of cap space) that prevented the Radulov signing.

Which is why I've been adamant about my position - the past is usually a view into the future. The Habs have not & will not (future tense!) lose out on a top notch talent due to a Shaw type signing, and the Habs org knows this, which is why they're relegated to the Shaw type Plan Fs. Unless CBA changes overnight eliminating NTC/NMC, top end players with clauses will not waive for Mtl (with possible exception of those of the past their prime type player variety), and unless this org gets off its ass and focuses on improving its amateur scouting proficiency to find the albeit very rare Parayko's of the world, they will not be able to swing a slam dunk deal addressing an area of need (I.e Jones for Johansen type deal) without experiencing a void in their system while swinging a meaningful deal (i.e Drouin for Sergachev).

Excellent post Sal

I don't blame MB for losing Radu or Markov , they were offered fair deals .

We needed go to closer to 8 mil to offset the taxes for Radu but offered 5 years . Markov was only staying in this league if we or another team offered 2 years and he didn't get it.

We simply need be top shelf elite at the draft and development as this is the most logical approach to getting and retaining talent .

Excellent post Sal

I don't blame MB for losing Radu or Markov , they were offered fair deals .

We needed go to closer to 8 mil to offset the taxes for Radu but offered 5 years . Markov was only staying in this league if we or another team offered 2 years and he didn't get it.

We simply need be top shelf elite at the draft and development as this is the most logical approach to getting and retaining talent .

Offers that are beaten by other teams aren't "fair" -- they're weak. In business you take the best offer, not the shitty ones.

https://www.google.ca/amp/montrealg...ey/nhl/montreal-canadiens/habs-go-golfing/amp

The Canadiens have upwards of $8.5 million in cap space, but don’t hold your breath waiting for general manager Marc Bergevin to go shopping.

“The extra salary cap space certainly represents an opportunity for Marc,” team owner Geoff Molson said Monday prior to the Canadiens’ annual golf tournament at Laval-sur-le-lac. “He’s not going to spend it just for the sake of spending it, but to have that extra space on the cap, at some point could come in handy.”

Bergevin made it clear that now is some point.

“It’s a nice asset to have,” Bergevin said. “We’re always looking to make the team better but at this point, there’s not much available.”

Bergevin said it was too hard to tell when he might make a move. He said he was happy with his roster as the team opens its training camp later this week, but there are a lot of question marks facing head coach Claude Julien.
Don't worry they said, there's no way the habs go into the season with 8 million in cap space they said, Bergevin has something up his sleeve they said, it was too early to judge his off season they said...

What do those people say now?

"It's a nice asset to have"

It's not a nice asset to have. Every team can legally spend to the cap... and we haven't. So it's not an asset, it's a reminder of failure.

It's one thing to strategically have $2m in cap space... it's a total failure to have $8.5m.

I was verbally attacked by a number of posters when I said that the Habs won't be a cap team this year.

Well here we are. The Montreal Canadiens are a officially a non-cap spending team. What a world.

I was verbally attacked by a number of posters when I said that the Habs won't be a cap team this year.

Well here we are. The Montreal Canadiens are a officially a non-cap spending team. What a world.

Oh, I remember.

We were told that Bergevin would do something with that cap space, he would plug one of the holes on this team, that it was still early and we were being negative nancies, but here we are, he didn't so shit.

I won't and don't intend to gloat that I was right. Cause it actually infuriates me that the ****ing Montreal Canadiens are no longer a cap team.

What would MB do with that 8 million anyways?

Get two more Andrew Shaw types?

That's not winning the habs the cup, so why does it matter. This team isn't serious about winning the cup, might as well have their cap space reflect that.

had he tried to sign him during the season, different story

waiting until your player hits UFA status is a recipe for disaster
In the Bobby Mac interview negotiations started at the All Star game in Jan, and Radulov's side wouldn't back off from 8-yrs till mid June

Rumours, Innuendos and Flat out B.S.: 2017-18 Edition

Offers that are beaten by other teams aren't "fair" -- they're weak. In business you take the best offer, not the shitty ones.
U do not offer more to a 39-year old gimp than what was offered - $4M guaranteed with $1M in additional bonuses on a 1yr deal as mentioned in the Marinaro interview with the GM. Markov apparently wanted a 1-yr $6M guaranteed contract.

Also negotiations apparently started mid season with Markov and he wouldn't budge from 2-yr ask till UFA week when he was advised the org needs to look at alternatives- Alzner

Last edited:

U do not offer more to a 39-year old gimp than what was offered - $4M guaranteed with $1M in additional bonuses on a 1yr deal as mentioned in the Marinaro interview with the GM. Markov apparently wanted a 1-yr $6M guaranteed contract.

Also negotiations apparently started mid season with Markov and he wouldn't budge from 2-yr ask till UFA week when he was advised the org needs to look at alternatives- Alzner

Much better to go into the season with 8.5 million in cap space than sign markov to a 1 year, 6 million dollar contract.

Think of all the money Geoff gets to save.

Rumours, Innuendos and Flat out B.S.: 2017-18 Edition

Much better to go into the season with 8.5 million in cap space than sign markov to a 1 year, 6 million dollar contract.

Think of all the money Geoff gets to save.
Technically the season hasn't started and no paychecks have been handed out, just sayin

The Habs have nearly 9 million in cap space. MB didn't sign Markov at 5.5 because he thought he would spend it elsewhere. He gambled and failed. Now that money is just in Molsons pocket.

Anyways - you need to stop talking about Markov. That shipped has sailed and he's irrelevant now.

The Habs sitting on nearly 1/10 of their league allowed budget is not irrelevant, and it's frankly embarrasing.

The Sens might outspend us this year.

Last edited:

There is nothing to do with that money now, and MB has all but confirmed that it will just sit in Molson's bank.

People here need to get real and stop overvaluing guys like Radulov and Markov. Radulov won't earn his paycheck this season. He was the best UFA signing last summer but will be the worst this summer. And if Markov is so damn good and irreplaceable why is he in the KHL? Because nobody wanted him at his ridiculous asking price.

As for the leftover cap space, who is there to spend it on right now who would move the needle for us? Nobody. So let's see what happens during the season because I guarantee you that the $8.5 million will get spent before this season is over.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

People here need to get real and stop overvaluing guys like Radulov and Markov. Radulov won't earn his paycheck this season. He was the best UFA signing last summer but will be the worst this summer. And if Markov is so damn good and irreplaceable why is he in the KHL? Because nobody wanted him at his ridiculous asking price.

As for the leftover cap space, who is there to spend it on right now who would move the needle for us? Nobody. So let's see what happens during the season because I guarantee you that the $8.5 million will get spent before this season is over.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
Didn't people say there was no way that money wouldn't be spent before the season started?

Sorry if I don't believe the Bergevin apologists anymore.

Back