• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Rumours, Innuendos and Flat out B.S.: 2021-22 Edition

And prime Marchessault was signed to 5M/ year... now that's a great deal.

I know it's a bit hard to compare a 22 years old with potential, and a 27 year old player who as arrived, but I would take Marchessault at 5M everyday all week before Nylander at 6.5M.

8 Millions !? Baha stay home Willie

Marchessault is a fine player, but we're talking about a kid that was putting up a 60 point season at the age of 20.

People can think Nylander is a shit or whatever but Leafs have put themselves in a difficult situation that is only going to get harder.

Mark Hunter, former asst GM, was asked how he felt about the whole situation and he said the Leafs will make a big mistake trading him and that they should have locked up their core (Mathews, Marner, Nylander) last spring.

We can say the Leafs have done a good job re-building etc but they have and will likely have some road bumps in managing their payroll soon.

https://www.rds.ca/hockey/lnh/lnh-m...devraient-echanger-william-nylander-1.6459636

Punk or not he is actually an important element to that team. My personel opinion is that in two years he will be more productive than Tavares.

He has already had back to back 60 point seasons at the age of 20 and 21 and the Leafs may be strong down the middle but the wings are really not after the loss of JVR and an aging Marleau, they really only have Marner who you could call a legit top six winger and potnetially Kappanen.

Leaf fans may feel Zach Hyman or Connor Brown can be but It’s a big hit losing JVR and Nylander inside a year for the wing position on that team.

My point being, this was a pretty good looking team with Mathews and Kadri as your top two centers and wingers like marner, JvR, Nylander.

May have been better off laying off Tavares and keeping JVR and Nylander

He's a punk for wanting to get paid? I guess that makes everyone a "punk."

I have no issues with what Nylander is doing, its business and to be honest I think Nylander has evry right to get the most.

For all we know the Leafs could be low balling him so more power to him especally when Shanahan makes stupid comments regarding his players taking less to build a winning team.

Mathews and Marner will not be taking less that’s for sure

I have no issues with what Nylander is doing, its business and to be honest I think Nylander has evry right to get the most.

For all we know the Leafs could be low balling him so more power to him especally when Shanahan makes stupid comments regarding his players taking less to build a winning team.

Mathews and Marner will not be taking less that’s for sure

I have no issues with what the Leafs are doing with Nylander . They have a number for him and he doesnt like it .

You cant pay everyone in a cap world .

Stay home and lets play this game again next year Willy .

Not being able to sign Nylander will be a pretty big fail on Dubas' part. His first major in house signing and he is really struggling with it. The buck starts and stops with the GM. He needs to make the right choice.

Keep in mind RIGHT after this, he will need to start talking with both Marner and Matthews. He might be in over his head.

FYI - I am always on the workers side. I don't have time for billionaire owners and upper management types crying poor. There are dozens of teams that would give Nylander 7 over 7 and maybe even 8 over 7.

He will get paid somewhere.

Willy may lose a years pay that he wont get back . I am always on the workers side in the real word, not the fantasy sports world

If you cant make due on 6 mil , which is my guess the offer .....then find alternate employment.

This is not a fail on Dubas . They simply have too much top talent and someone has to get squeezed .

Its a fail if he caves and they wont on their 7th most important player.

It's not about crying poor, it's a cap world, you just can't pay every player anything they want. If there wasn't a cap, I doubt the Leafs would play hardball with him. But cave in to his demands and you pretty much screw yourself for Mariner and Matthews next year.

Signing your young players to reasonable contracts is the key to building a championship team. You can't give them UFA money right away.

I have no issues with what the Leafs are doing with Nylander . They have a number for him and he doesnt like it .

You cant pay everyone in a cap world .

Stay home and lets play this game again next year Willy .

But you can manage your cap better....paying Zaitsev 4.5 mil a year is bad, Marleau at a cap hit of 6.3 was not necessary.

The cost of those two bad contracts may force you into losing a talent like Nylander??

It's not about crying poor, it's a cap world, you just can't pay every player anything they want. If there wasn't a cap, I doubt the Leafs would play hardball with him. But cave in to his demands and you pretty much screw yourself for Mariner and Matthews next year.

Signing your young players to reasonable contracts is the key to building a championship team. You can't give them UFA money right away.

The thinking going around in the Nylander camp is the opposite, Leafs will pony up for those two....Mathews and Marner will be closer to 10 mil/season if not well over for Mathews.

By all accounts the Leafs want to pay Nylander 6 mil/season without a NTC since he isn't eligible for a NTC.

We know Mathews will be in the 12 mil range, he would be nuts to accept anything less since he is a better player than Tavares and is in that category of one of the ten best forwards in the league.

Marner will be at around 8-9 mil/ season

Nylander should be at around 7 mil/season in the Leafs payroll structure

**** ownership and big money business. The workers deserve to get paid.

But you can manage your cap better....paying Zaitsev 4.5 mil a year is bad, Marleau at a cap hit of 6.3 was not necessary.

The cost of those two bad contracts may force you into losing a talent like Nylander??

They managed it well . They dont have Lucic , Ladd or Alzner`s to deal with .They have studs to pay and can`t overpay Nylander .

They managed it well . They dont have Lucic , Ladd or Alzner`s to deal with .They have studs to pay and can`t overpay Nylander .

Zaitsev at 4.5 and Marleau at 6.3 is overpaid in my opinion.

Marleau is a 40-45 point guy playing along side some good talent and I don't need to say how mediocre Zaitsev is.

Zaitsev at 4.5 and Marleau at 6.3 is overpaid in my opinion.

Marleau is a 40-45 point guy playing along side some good talent and I don't need to say how mediocre Zaitsev is.

Zaitzev at 4.5 is better than Karl in the press box or a 10.5 mil goalie who needs time away to get his head straight

Marleau is done next season on Robidas island or an easy trade when 2/3 of his salary is paid in July .

Gardiner is likely gone. Hainsey is gone . Brown and others are easy trades to make .

They have managed their cap well DK , players are all moveable.

Zaitzev at 4.5 is better than Karl in the press box or a 10.5 mil goalie who needs time away to get his head straight

Marleau is done next season on Robidas island or an easy trade when 2/3 of his salary is paid in July .

Gardiner is likely gone. Hainsey is gone . Brown and others are easy trades to make .

They have managed their cap well DK , players are all moveable.

Their cap issues are just beginning, its easy to manage a bunch of entry level contracts of talented players.

The real challenge begins now, how to keep these players.

The unfortunate part is that they may have to give up some key pieces like Nylander and Gardiner and possibly Kadri in two-three years and this is a team that still hasn't won a playoff round in 12 years.

Maybe in the end the bad contract is Tavares who at 13 million will handcuff Dubas from retaining these three players over the next couple of years.

Last edited:
Back